Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New to the first gens..some questions about iphones, radios and XM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
New to the first gens..some questions about iphones, radios and XM

I just spent a while trying to find all my answers in the stickeys so forgive me if it's been talked about for a while

I may be getting into an 04 G35x down from my 07 g35x...

1. Now one thing i really really want is for my iphone 4s to hook up like it does in my 07. Is this possible to do without putting in an entire new HU and what is a good kit to buy/easy it install? Again..it looks as if it's a good deal of work to get factor head unit out..can any electronics installer do this? As in a custom car audio place?

2. Also, if i wanted to upgrade the HU..i would need double din kit correct? $100-300 bucks for these!?!? Plus a good radio and labor to put it in..it looks like it's around a $600 investment...am i correct?

So i could get a new HU for this price with aux hookup xm ect....

3.But my car has the SAT button. Now will i need anything else to set up my XM account in this car?

If i can get my XM to hook up and find a good ipod kit..i would rather not spend a fortune for a new HU at the moment. I have also been reading about the radio and AC going crazy. This car has 93K miles. Think it has happened by now or it could do it at anytime? What does the dealer charge to fix the radio if it does this?

Sorry for all of the Q's..just want to know what i am getting into here

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 11-11-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not difficult at all to take out the head unit. I did it (with the help of one of my friends and this guid). It was my first (and so far my only) mod. I probably could have done it myself, but being that I had the car for a couple months, and knew pretty much nothing about modding, I asked my friend to help.

I used the aPac-NIS1 (you would need the PAC AAI NIS2 I think) for my install and the
Soundgate core Soundgate core
for my Zune. They have this for the
iPod/iPhone iPod/iPhone
as well and some people say it works with the iPhone 4.

From the reviews it looks like the PAC unit lowers the sound quality a bit (which I kinda noticed. On the mp3 discs I was using before the install, the sound came out like RAWR!). It's much better than a FM transmitter, not just slightly as some would have you believe. Also, the PAC unit is supposed to allow you to use your XM as well. I haven't figured out how to do this without disconnecting it but I'm sure it's possible. I don't really have the need for XM if I use my iPhone, and my Zune has all my MP3s on it.

When I did the install it cost $90 for the pac unit, and $30 for the soundgate core. I just noticed that these instructions are for the '05 - '07 model. I'm not quite sure what the differences are, but if you are not comfortable doing this install yourself, any audio shop (if they call themselves professionals) should be able to do it for you.

If you ever decide to go the Double Din route, make sure you take a look at Wathernaut's guide first.

Last edited by J-NaDa; 11-11-2011 at 11:57 PM.