Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Avic-n1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:28 AM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avic-n1

I installed my AVIC-n1 and was so happy to hear noise from the speakers that I closed everything back up. Well, since I put the dash all back together again I noticed that the front right speaker doesn't work. I thought that maybe I didn't make that tight of a connection for the speaker wires, but after screwing around with the settings mode on the AVIC-n1 I start to wonder if it is the wire or not. Let me explain. You know that every time you were to push a button on the AVIC-N1 the HU would let you know with a beep sound out of the front left speaker that you made a choice. Well, in the settings mode you have the option to make that sound come out of either the left or the right speaker. When I click on the left speaker option the beep is loud and clear, however, when I click on the right speaker the sound if muffled big time. I figured that I must have a connection of some sort at that point, but why would I get no sound from my speaker with cd or fm but would get that muffled sound with doing that test. Also, on my way home last night. All 3 (of the 4) speakers were working fine and then all of a sudden, I started to get static on the right rear speaker and the left rear speaker quit working and the front left was still clear, then about have a mile down the road the front left speaker went to static? WTH? I turned off the unit in disgust and then turned it back on about 5 minutes later. This time I put in a CD and the 3 of the 4 speakers were working again. I went to FM and they seemed to operate correctly. I'm wondering if the bose amp is causing more harm than good to my HU or if I have a bad HU or if my wire crimp job is bad. Any Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of connectors did you use when you crimped the wires?? I ask becuase someimtes the butt connectors don't work very well. I usually use the ones where you have to twist the wires together and it goes over the top then crimps them tight.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 AM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the metal tube wrapped in hard plastic which is crimped in place with a crimping tool. I did find the problem though and it was with the Schoshe wiring harness that I purchased off of Ebay. The pins in the wiring harness were losing their connection with the factory harness. That has been fixed and my car is working flawlessly except for no AM reception!