Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Inputs on bose hu?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011 | 12:42 AM
|
Inputs on bose hu?

Brand new member here.. I've read tons of 'how to' threads (bose hu with new amp, new head unit with stock amp, etc....tons of useful info!) and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I have an '06 sedan with bose system w/o nav. What inputs does the unit have that I could map to one of the source modes? Analog RCA? s/pdif? Any documentation showing connections to this unit? Thanks!

Old 12-06-2011 | 10:25 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure you're out of luck here. The Bose unit...at least in the '04, doesn't offer any auxilliary inputs.

I don't believe the newer head units have an iPod connector.

What are you trying to interface with it?

Old 12-06-2011 | 11:55 AM
|
I'm thinking of connecting an airport express. We currently have a dealer installed ipod/iphone integration kit which works reasonably well, but also has significant drawbacks. It doesn't charge some devices, control through the head unit is awkward (miserable), etc.

I'd prefer to use the s/pdif output from the airport if practical. How do the ipod kits connect to the head unit?

Old 12-06-2011 | 05:06 PM
If you have the Nissan adaptor installed, it connects to the wiring harness back by the amplifier somewhere. That's what I used as well, and I agree the interface is not great...though the sound quality is much better than the FM transmitters or cassette deck adaptor. It's been a couple of years since I installed mine, so I don't remember specifics.

There certainly isn't an optical input on the Bose headunit, so I don't think you'll have luck with the airport express, though I'm not familiar with that device. Keep in mind we're dealing with consumer-grade, mass produced car audio equipment that is almost a decade old now. iPods had barely hit the market when the Bose headunit was designed for our cars.

I share your frustration with the stereo system. I fought for over three years with sub-par iPod integration before finally giving up and doing the double-din conversion. The audio system, and the way Infiniti chose to integrate it for the U.S. market, is the biggest weakness of the car, in my opinion. I don't know why they couldn't have just equipped the car with the JDM trim and a DD headunit to begin with.

Best wishes on your journey.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (12-06-2011)
Old 12-07-2011 | 05:13 AM
iPod kits connect to the headunit either behind the headunit (iSimple gateway), or to the bose amp in the trunk (nissan ipod kit). I'm not sure where the PAC or pacific audio ones connect but they should connect behind the headunit or to the amp.

Old 04-23-2012 | 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure you're out of luck here. The Bose unit...at least in the '04, doesn't offer any auxilliary inputs.

I don't believe the newer head units have an iPod connector.

What are you trying to interface with it?
My 2006 has zero auxiliary inputs

Old 04-23-2012 | 02:50 PM
you have basically 3 options for ipod integration with bose head unit. factory ,p a c or usa spec adapters . I went with usa spec . it charges your ipod as well as retaining the use ofsteering wheel controls. you should have satellite connector in your 06. the usa spec p a 15-infi connects to that then ou simply run your wires from that unit to the front. but they make 1 that connects to the back of the bose head unit as well.