Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Annoying resonance...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Annoying resonance...

Well, i just changed out the factory speakers in the front on my V35. I used a Clarion component set, I believe they are 45W RMS mids and matching tweeters. I still have the stock HU in until the bracket for my double din arrives from Japan (incidentally the stock JDM speakers were labelled Panasonc and Clarion for the mids and tweeters respectively).

Since changing the speakers out i've been getting and awful resonant buzzing from inside the door. It's not even that the volume is up that loud, it's just certain frequencies seem to make the door vibrate at even moderate volumes. While i still had the door facing off, i listened carefully, and checked for loose screws, etc. Everything seemed firmly in place, i defintely got the impression the sound was from inside the door, right about where the window motor is.

Now, my question is this, would something like dynamat actually help that? Does it matter that the vibration is inside the door, or would applying dynamat to the outside of the panel still help vibration inside? I also read that a complaint posted here that someone was getting bad resonance and saying the cause was that the stock system doesn't use an actual crossover, but rather just a high pass filter on the tweeters - now i have a crossover for my component set, but haven't installed it because i was hoping to do all that when i worked on the Double DIN conversion in a few weeks. Any chance that something as simple as foam could dampen the vibrations in the door enough to make a difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Last edited by JSYv35; 12-28-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Just give the Dyamat a try. and if you want to get into the door get some spray on sound deadening should help.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by JSYv35
Well, i just changed out the factory speakers in the front on my V35. I used a Clarion component set, I believe they are 45W RMS mids and matching tweeters. I still have the stock HU in until the bracket for my double din arrives from Japan (incidentally the stock JDM speakers were labelled Panasonc and Clarion for the mids and tweeters respectively).

Since changing the speakers out i've been getting and awful resonant buzzing from inside the door. It's not even that the volume is up that loud, it's just certain frequencies seem to make the door vibrate at even moderate volumes. While i still had the door facing off, i listened carefully, and checked for loose screws, etc. Everything seemed firmly in place, i defintely got the impression the sound was from inside the door, right about where the window motor is.

Now, my question is this, would something like dynamat actually help that? Does it matter that the vibration is inside the door, or would applying dynamat to the outside of the panel still help vibration inside? I also read that a complaint posted here that someone was getting bad resonance and saying the cause was that the stock system doesn't use an actual crossover, but rather just a high pass filter on the tweeters - now i have a crossover for my component set, but haven't installed it because i was hoping to do all that when i worked on the Double DIN conversion in a few weeks. Any chance that something as simple as foam could dampen the vibrations in the door enough to make a difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated....
I could be wrong, but If I'm not mistaken (assuming yours is a Bose Premium) the speakers are 2 ohm, not standard 4 ohm. When I replaced all my speakers I had to use my amp and a 4 channel LOC.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Actually, my stock system is the standard, not bose, and the back of the speakers are stamped 4ohm. I've read that the US G35s come with 2ohm speakers, but the japanese ones definitely come with 4ohms.

I guess I'll give the Dynamat a try, i was just looking for suggestions as it's pretty expensive to import that stuff here in the Caribbean.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
ah, my bad dude! I replied late at night and didn't realize that you have a Nissan and not the Infiniti.

I vaguely remember hearing the non-bose DOES use 4 ohm.