Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Rockford Fosgate Punch P3L-S12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford Fosgate Punch P3L-S12

Amazon Amazon

Anyone try this sub out in their G's or any other car? I am trying to keep as much trunk space as possible. Also, I do not want to get a sub that you can hear from a mile away, just something with a little "punch" but mainly good sound quality. The reviews for this thing look good but they are all in trucks mainly, I am just not convinced....Just curious if anyone has any input?

Last edited by ChrisMan255; 12-28-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
I can't imagine a shallow-mount 12 in a narrow, sealed box is going to sound very good at all, it's like two different compromises in one. Also, that shape is made for putting behind truck seats, where it'll save a lot of space, but it's a shape that would end up fitting strangely in our trunks and probably end up taking up a lot of usable room.

If you want to keep space, go with a 8" woofer instead, sundown sa-8's are a great choice. You need less than 1 cubic foot for a ported enclosure that will sound worlds better than that 12".

Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
I tried it and really enjoyed the enclosure and the benefits over stock. The sub easily fills the cabin and adds plenty of bass. I made bunch of my friends who love listening to dubstep and other bass heavy music and said it was a huge difference over stock and well worth the cost. Also what is nice is you save a lot of space and weight. The setup will not slow your vehicle down or toll your MPG due to weight savings. If you can build a slightly larger box then you will be able to have a sub that will be even louder and hit the lower notes using a ported box at the expense of weight and space.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...b-install.html

I have since then upgraded to a polk DVC sub in a ported enclosure but honestly I think I might be going back since the difference made it louder and boomier but honestly I was very happy with the overall output of the slim sub and I can tell a difference in added weight with the heavier ported box I have now and slowing the vehicle down.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! The pics helped a lot. But what'd you think of the sound quality of the Rockford compared to the polk? And what kind of Polk DVC do you have?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
i wouldnt do it.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisMan255
Thanks for the help! The pics helped a lot. But what'd you think of the sound quality of the Rockford compared to the polk? And what kind of Polk DVC do you have?

Thanks
The fosgate is cleaner and tighter but the polk goes deeper, louder and boomier. I prefer the fosgate due to a sealed box versus a ported box. I have always been a fan of sealed boxes and will have to try the polk in a sealed box and see the difference. You need to decide if you need space savings and weight savings at the expense of loudness and how low the sub can hit notes versus having a larger full size box and sub that will slow your car down but sound better. Either way if you have just a stock sub then both of them will blow your mind apart but the polk with rattle your mind apart

Old 12-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if you are looking for boomy bass like with dub step or Rap then you would want to do a 10" or 12" ported.

I have used sealed in the past but I just love the out put of a medium to large ported box.

Small sealed will give you good sound quality but if you want really loud bass you need to go ported