Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth replacing G35 Rear Deck Speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth replacing G35 Rear Deck Speakers?

I have the 2005 G35 Coupe with the Bose System.

My friends got me the JBL GTO938 for my birthday a year ago, had them installed at best buy, but my right rear deck one just blew so I'm having best buy reinstall my stock ones.

They surprised me with it, I didn't and still don't know much about the G35's audio system except that the bose doesn't sound great at all in my opinion. I didn't notice an improvement in sound (more specifically bass) with the JBL's, and I told the employee at best buy that as well. He said it's b/c the speakers are 4-ohm and that the stock amp only sends out 2-ohm or something, and that if I got 2-ohm 2-way 6x9's I should notice an improvement in bass.

Is that true? Or is he just trying to get some more $$$ out of me. I don't plan on changing any other speakers/amps or adding a sub, but if replacing the stock rear deck speakers with some aftermarket 2-ohm 2-ways will give me a boost in bass I may consider it.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
No sir.

Upgrade the fronts

The following users liked this post:
dlim (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
No sir.

Upgrade the fronts
If I chose not to upgrade anything else besides the fronts, will it be a noticeable upgrade in sound quality & bass?

If so, any recommendations on speakers? Not looking to spend anymore than $100 or so on the speakers.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
not with that kind of budget.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I considered adding a subwoofer before, but I don't want to lose what little cargo space the G35 already has. I saw the 4080 enclosures before and thought about spending about $1k in revamping the entire sound system, but I'm not THAT disappointed with the bose system and would prefer to not spend that money when I don't need to.

As I said before I'm not interested in changing things other than a pair of speakers. Just that in the previous (cheaper) cars I've driven, replacing the HU or stock speakers with aftermarket ones would always produce a noticeable improvement in sound quality over stock.

If changing a single pair of speakers (I was thinking the rear deck before, but now maybe the front ones instead) would give me an improvement in sound quality + bass without having to swap out anything else, I would like to go ahead and do that. But if the improvement is negligible and has to do with something about the stock HU or stock AMP, then I would just leave it as is.

I'm actually ok with how everything sounds, just wish that it produced a little more bass (but not to the extent of an added sub).

Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
not with that kind of budget.
So there's no aftermarket speakers under $100 that will give an improvement in bass? I'll probably just leave things as is then. Thanks

Old 01-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
if your looking for bass a subwoofers the way to go. or maybe a better head unit for more output to the speakers you do have. i dont think the bose in my g35 sounds bad, but i have a kenwood execelon with 5volt outputs.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From JBL site it says your old GTO938 ARE 3 way 2ohm speakers.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...larProductOnly

I have to replace my rear decks since they seem to be blown. I guess that sort of sucks that you said that you had these GTO's and noticed no difference from the stocks. I was thinking of getting these since they are 2 ohms and are only $75 on amazon. Crutchfield has a bunch of 2 way 4 ohm speakers that are guaranteed to fit in our coupes. One of them is Sound ordnance for $60 or they have a Rockford P1692 which can be found on amazon for like $75. Anyone have any input on which is the best to go with? Is 2 ohm a better fit with the rest of the factory speakers alreasdy in the car? Should we stick with 2-way since we only want bass? Will 3 way harm the sound at all? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by TotalChump
From JBL site it says your old GTO938 ARE 3 way 2ohm speakers.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...larProductOnly

I have to replace my rear decks since they seem to be blown. I guess that sort of sucks that you said that you had these GTO's and noticed no difference from the stocks. I was thinking of getting these since they are 2 ohms and are only $75 on amazon. Crutchfield has a bunch of 2 way 4 ohm speakers that are guaranteed to fit in our coupes. One of them is Sound ordnance for $60 or they have a Rockford P1692 which can be found on amazon for like $75. Anyone have any input on which is the best to go with? Is 2 ohm a better fit with the rest of the factory speakers alreasdy in the car? Should we stick with 2-way since we only want bass? Will 3 way harm the sound at all? Thanks.
The rear deck isn't a great place for anything in our cars. The deck isn't sturdy enough to support a good free-air/infinite baffle sub, and putting 2-way or 3-way speakers is a waste, since you're just going to screw up the soundstage with full-range in the rear. If you're dead-set on not putting a real sub in the trunk, do some 6x9 woofers like these: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9874-hd-...id-woofer.aspx

Not going to give the deep bass like a real sub, but they're still going to be a better choice than a 2-way or 3-way.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wrathernaut recommended i disable the rear speakers and upgrade the front, having a subwoofer you cant even tell the difference!!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Wrath I like your recommendation. I didn't know they made 6x9 woofers that I could just drop in like that. All the speakers I have been seeing are 2 way and 3 ways but I agree you with you its a waste since these speakers are just controlling the bass. But correct me if I am wrong, you said that "...putting 2-way or 3-way speakers is a waste, since you're just going to screw up the soundstage with full-range in the rear." If I got 3 ways wouldnt they just output the bass portion of the music and essentially thus is basically a 1 way speaker?

@Barbaro so you have a dedicated sub woofer I take it? I am not going to get a dedicated subwoofer, altho I am sure it sounds much better.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by TotalChump
Wrath I like your recommendation. I didn't know they made 6x9 woofers that I could just drop in like that. All the speakers I have been seeing are 2 way and 3 ways but I agree you with you its a waste since these speakers are just controlling the bass. But correct me if I am wrong, you said that "...putting 2-way or 3-way speakers is a waste, since you're just going to screw up the soundstage with full-range in the rear." If I got 3 ways wouldnt they just output the bass portion of the music and essentially thus is basically a 1 way speaker?

@Barbaro so you have a dedicated sub woofer I take it? I am not going to get a dedicated subwoofer, altho I am sure it sounds much better.
Yeah, they'd only output the bass if that's the only signal going to them, but they're not going to produce bass as well as a dedicated unit.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I like those woofers you sent me. I am just worried that they may not fit as nice. It says mounting depth is 3.5" and they have another one with 3.25". Is this the rifght size? I will

Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Mounting depth isn't an issue on the rear deck, you got feet of trunk space under the rear deck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worth replacing G35 Rear Deck Speakers?