Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone want a in-car docking station????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really liking Tkman00's suggestion about the ashtray. Do any of you brilliant designers have any thoughts about putting a docking station in it?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM
i'am sure i can come up with something, but i'm really happy with my nav cubby install. if anyone needs any help with installing in their cubby, pls feel free to ask me.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 PM
fastedy1,

I think you should give it a shot for the ashtray. I put a DVD screen in the cubby, so I need to look to put the IPOD somewhere else. Let me know if you can come up with something. GF

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
i think the ashtray would be the best bet and its a location everyone has vs only those with non-nav. perhaps a slip in mold out of FG and the dock sits under that.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
i'll try it and let everyone know what happens

Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
how do you guys mean in the ashtray? i know ipods are small and all...but how is this gonna work. sorry, i just dont "see" what you're talking about.. please explain

i was thinking of getting some kind of cell phone mounter and adjusting it to hold mine and somehow mount it to the right side of the center console so its facing the driver and easily removable.. still havent decided yet, but should be getting the PAC any day now..

Old 01-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by G35Rush
how do you guys mean in the ashtray? i know ipods are small and all...but how is this gonna work. sorry, i just dont "see" what you're talking about.. please explain

i was thinking of getting some kind of cell phone mounter and adjusting it to hold mine and somehow mount it to the right side of the center console so its facing the driver and easily removable.. still havent decided yet, but should be getting the PAC any day now..

I am with you on that one, how can an ipod fit in the ashtray? What ever I build will look like Infiniti built it. I do not want to paint it white, have neon lights, or compromise any space or compartments. That is just what I want from a ipod mounting solution, do you agree?

CES bound, 4080

Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM
g35Rush,
i think the only with the ashtray would be to completely remove it and in it's place would have to be some kind of horizontal 'platform' (to pretrude no more than 2 1/2") to secure the ipod dock. then cleverly & professionally 'cover up' the remaining opening.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by fastedy1
g35Rush,
i think the only with the ashtray would be to completely remove it and in it's place would have to be some kind of horizontal 'platform' (to pretrude no more than 2 1/2") to secure the ipod dock. then cleverly & professionally 'cover up' the remaining opening.
i guess that makes a little more sense to me.. i was in my car today with my player (i don't have an ipod just a creative labs 30gb, which is slightly bigger) and i couldnt really imagine having it there anyway.

i agree more with 4080 mainly because i want it to look stock and that it's "supposed" to be there. and also that he has shown what he can do with his sub box and i think everyone was quite impressed. i don't want to lose any cupholders or nav cubby space, i want something that can easily be seen and and reached by the driver to operate it, must look pretty stock, and also be able to remove the player. since i dont have an ipod, i have a feeling my player wont fit in with whatever 4080 makes since the majority of the people (about 99.9%) have ipods and he'll mold it specifically for that. so i'll just have to see what i can come up with on my own, depending on my motivation level which about right now is even with ricky williams' motivation to come back to the nfl.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:01 PM
i'm not trying to knock 4080 or anything that he does. i just said <b>i</b> was gonna try and hack something up in my ashtray. i also said that i'd be interested in seeing what 4080 does.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
With all do respect, you would defy the laws of physics if you were able to NOT 'compromise any space or compartments' . How can you 'physically' place a 'box' and NOT take any space or compartments? i'am not doubting your ability to create boxes, just questioning the possible location.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Here you go guys...

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboardm...ardmounts.aspx

Select the G35 and you'll see 2 options. You also have to buy their iPod holder.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...d=&p_year=2003

This is what I have and it fits nicely over the hazard lights button (still functional). Install took 30 seconds and it is very sturdy. I have the V1 unit in my ashtray and the door opens and closes fine (to be on the safe side, I push on the left).

Any questions or if you want pics, let me know.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Griffin technologies has a cool ipod cup holder mount. But if thats not good enough, i guess instead of using magnets you can use a suction cup. Thats how griffin technologies does it. It has to be a suction cup with a little tab so you can easily pull it off.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I also thought that the ashtray would be perfect. It hides away when the iPod's not in use, and fits the iPod perfectly...

G

Old 01-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
What ever happen with this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone want a in-car docking station????