Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Cheapest place to carry SWI-X/Instructions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest place to carry SWI-X/Instructions?

Since it looks like I'm going to be doing my car audio soon, does anyone carry the SWI-X, and does anyone have an FAQ/DIY on how to wire it into our steering controls?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheapest place was buy.com. Just wait for them to have a sale or something.

http://dealcoupon.com/merchants/buy.com.html

Just check that link like once a week. As far as a DIY... all I remember was that it was a pain in the -!

Old 01-04-2005, 02:01 PM
afr0puff-what about it was a PITA? Are you happy with the results?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
I wasn't happy at all with it. I might give it a second try when I reconfigure my system.

I would forgive the hassle of installing the device if it worked really well. Unfortunately, there is a major lag in the time you hit the steering wheel controls to when the radio responds. I'm not the only one to report on the lag. It's tolerable, but the lag is annoying enough for me to just hit the buttons on the HU to get instant response. This might vary depending on the location of the infrared tip and your HU.

Finding a place to mount the unit is another annoyance. You have limited wire length. So you have to find a direct angle for the infrared tip to aim at your HU. The center console has an upwards slope, so you need to mount the SWI-X in an "upper" location. Again, that may vary depending on your HU.

The wiring is a tad complicated. Nothing to cry about though. Just need to take everything a step at a time and make sure you get the right resistor values and what not.

----------------

If I can just reduce the response time by half, I would probably be singing the praises of this device.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I see. Interesting to see people complain. What head unit were you using it with? I'm thinking I would mount it on the right side of the steering column (My buddy's Acura CL-S has it mounted there) and it seems to work pretty well.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, too much work and cost for too little function gained.....IMO. My version of the SWI-X is my right index finger......lol

You might want to PM bamadog since he also installed the SWI-X too. He mounted his IR tip in his shifter boot pointing up at the HU but I asked him what happens when he shifted into thrid and fifth gear....lol.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I guess I've been spoiled with the volume controls on my current setup (Bose with my Mp3 changer via FM) to stop using it There are two reasons I'm doing my audio swap:

1)Using FM Modulation has TOTALLY killed my FM radio reception.. its horrible!

and

2)The onboard audio on the bose just isn't loud enough Even at the famous 31 volume, It doesn't sound as loud.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joepaniolo
Again, too much work and cost for too little function gained.....IMO. My version of the SWI-X is my right index finger......lol

You might want to PM bamadog since he also installed the SWI-X too. He mounted his IR tip in his shifter boot pointing up at the HU but I asked him what happens when he shifted into thrid and fifth gear....lol.
Actually, that was me who mounted it in the shift boot. There is a lag time but I'm used to it. Yeah, it mainly works in 4th & 6th gear, but I still like having steering wheel controls since I mainly drive on the freeway in 6th gear anyways. Besides, you have to interrupt the "gangsta lean" to use your right hand to push the buttons on the deck. lol

Attached Thumbnails Cheapest place to carry SWI-X/Instructions?-2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Is the lag time attributed to the line of sight or the device itself? I love my steering controls.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Pretty sure it's the device itself.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Originally Posted by skaline
Pretty sure it's the device itself.
Damn... i was hoping to mount mine closer for better response. I absolutely love the OEM steering wheel controls. So convenient. I might give the swi-x a second chance to see if I can tolerate the lag.

What if it's the infrared LED? That thing is tiny. Anyone have knowledge on how those things work? Maybe I can swap out the one that came with the HU remote.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
skaline.. your correct.. I dropped the question to the people at Pac Audio, and here was their response:

Sorry, there is no fix for the delay. The delay is the result of the SWI-X having to read the IR commands from an external memory chip and then sending the command. Then the aftermarket radio has to capture the IR command and interpret the command before reacting to it. The result is about 500-600 milliseconds delay. The factory radio probably responds in less than 5 milliseconds.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey all: I do stock the SWI-X at all times. My price is the same as the above mentioned Buy.com - but I have free UPS ship as well. I sold quite a few to people here...

Old 01-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
why not tape/glue the SWI-X IR tip right on to your HU's sensor....lol

Sorry, skaline..it was you.....couldn't remember its been so long...

doc

Old 01-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by joepaniolo
why not tape/glue the SWI-X IR tip right on to your HU's sensor...lol
LMAO!!!!