Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
update: I had the installer wire the HU with the power antenna connected to a 12V + supply.. it did improve the channels, but I can't get all the ones I used to get with the stock HU.

Also, quick question.. when folks are streaming from their phone via blue tooth. how is the sound quality? I have a lil static

Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
update: I had the installer wire the HU with the power antenna connected to a 12V + supply.. it did improve the channels, but I can't get all the ones I used to get with the stock HU.

Also, quick question.. when folks are streaming from their phone via blue tooth. how is the sound quality? I have a lil static
It kinda depends on what the phone is doing to compress the audio. On my old phone I could easily tell the difference between MP3s over the wired connection, but with the iPod touch, there's little or no difference in quality. There shouldn't be "static" at all, since it's a digital connection, but audio compression artifacts are a possibility.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
So, let me ask.. if I plug my android galaxy s3 to the usb problem would i be able to play the music that way? I think this way would result in less static or feedback

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
So, let me ask.. if I plug my android galaxy s3 to the usb problem would i be able to play the music that way? I think this way would result in less static or feedback
Yeah, it'll work as a USB drive, and the 8400 can catalog USB drives to operate like an iPod plugged in.

The following users liked this post:
broke_as_ajoke (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks bro I'll try that tomorrow and see how it sounds

Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditching the BOSE system... first step!

So i pretty much decided on the AVH-P8400BH right after I decided I was gonna upgrade to a Double Din right after I bought my car (a month ago)

I was initially weary of the reviews with the intermittent touch screen issues (anyone here had them?) but I decided since I live in VA I'll buy it from crutchfield (free 1 day shipping) and if I have any issues return will be easy,

I just want to make sure I have everything correct on my shopping list
1. Pioneer AVH-P8400BH
2. Pioneer CDIU201S Advanced App Mode USB Interface Cable
3. Antenna Adapter Works with select 1984-09 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles
4. Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
5. Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)
6. PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface Headunit Replacement, For Select Nissan Vehicles - (what do I need this for???)

Also whats a good backup camera to install? Preferably one thats built into a license plate or can be screwed on with my license plate.

Do I need to purchase a second pioneer cable for my Ipod (the CDIU201s will be for my iphone). Most of my music is on a 160gig Ipod classic so Ill only be using the iphone for Pandora/GPS apps and maybe occasionally youtube videos. Can i use the regular apple cable for the purpose of listening to the ipod classic?

How is the ipod interface... and I wanna make thsi purchase in the next 12 hours (my JDM DD Kit + AC control arrives TODAY) so that I can get it installed by friday.

So for those who own: what are you biggest pet peeves/issues with this unit?

How much am I looking at for a local installer to put this all in? My local installer charges $120 for the head unit with bluetooth.... but Im curious how is he gonna respond when I tell him I have a backup camera and steering wheel controls to install as well--- is that something these installers will generally throw a fit over?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by JTriz631
I just want to make sure I have everything correct on my shopping list
1. Pioneer AVH-P8400BH
2. Pioneer CDIU201S Advanced App Mode USB Interface Cable
3. Antenna Adapter Works with select 1984-09 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles
4. Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
5. Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)
6. PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface Headunit Replacement, For Select Nissan Vehicles - (what do I need this for???)

Also whats a good backup camera to install? Preferably one thats built into a license plate or can be screwed on with my license plate.

Do I need to purchase a second pioneer cable for my Ipod (the CDIU201s will be for my iphone). Most of my music is on a 160gig Ipod classic so Ill only be using the iphone for Pandora/GPS apps and maybe occasionally youtube videos. Can i use the regular apple cable for the purpose of listening to the ipod classic?

How is the ipod interface... and I wanna make thsi purchase in the next 12 hours (my JDM DD Kit + AC control arrives TODAY) so that I can get it installed by friday.

So for those who own: what are you biggest pet peeves/issues with this unit?

How much am I looking at for a local installer to put this all in? My local installer charges $120 for the head unit with bluetooth.... but Im curious how is he gonna respond when I tell him I have a backup camera and steering wheel controls to install as well--- is that something these installers will generally throw a fit over?
1. Yep
2. Yes, and see below.
3. Should come free with #1 when you buy from crutchfield
4. Not needed, the 8400 includes the trim piece
5. Yep
6. You need it to convert the new headunit's audio signal to the signal the bose amp is built to receive.

Backup camera... just get something cheap, Boyo's are popular. You're not using it to maneuver a giant truck or van into parking spots, it's just there to make sure you're not going to run over a child.

I'm pretty sure the 8400 will not support two Apple devices, since it uses the rear analog inputs for the iPod audio, so use the Apple function for your iPhone. Migrate your audio collection to an external USB drive that can be powered by a single USB port (WD My Passport, for example) and use Pioneer's Music Browser function to access the music almost identically to the way it would be on the Classic. There's tools to migrate your iTunes library over if you need help with that... just google it.

Steering wheel controls with the Axxess is a 15 minute addition to the install, somebody who does it for the living can probably do it in half that time. The backup camera, however, will involve a lot of additional wiring, so it could easily double your install cost.

The following users liked this post:
JTriz631 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks Wrathernaut! Just ordered everything on my list so it should all be here tomorrow and hopefully in the G by Saturday night!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
I've had the double din in now for about 3 months. Love it but there is one odd problem I have- not sure if anyone else has this. My rearview camera has a personality of its own and decides to work perfectly one day, the following day not at all until the end of the day or just not at all. Then other days it comes on blurry and then shuts off. On those days that it shuts off I i come back to my car the camera works perfect ...only to drive somewhere and back into spot and find that it is not working. very strange...any ideas on what this could be? (It worked this morning beautifully btw)

Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
I bluetooth my S3 all the time - no static - very clear actaully

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
the bluetooth comment was for broke as a joke btw

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Dwalt024
I've had the double din in now for about 3 months. Love it but there is one odd problem I have- not sure if anyone else has this. My rearview camera has a personality of its own and decides to work perfectly one day, the following day not at all until the end of the day or just not at all. Then other days it comes on blurry and then shuts off. On those days that it shuts off I i come back to my car the camera works perfect ...only to drive somewhere and back into spot and find that it is not working. very strange...any ideas on what this could be? (It worked this morning beautifully btw)
Water or just condensation in the camera would be my guess. Mornings are worse for condensation, but that's not the only time issues would be expected.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Hmm..My car is garaged so there is not much condensation and I havent driven through much rain lately (Surprisingly in Miami) ... the really strange part is that if I leave work at say 6pm and get home around 7 - -->> If the camera works when I leave work it doesn't work when i get home 40-60 mins later. And Vice Versa..(also happens in the morning)... could anything other than condensation cause it? bad camera? maybe?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey guys, just pulled the trigger on one of these babies. Since I have an android phone, what kind of things can I expect to do with this? I know its made ideally for an iphone so I won't have a lot of the features like the advanced app mode, but I can at least connect via bluetooth and stream music right? Can I stream via Pandora? Thanks for any input.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Jining
Hey guys, just pulled the trigger on one of these babies. Since I have an android phone, what kind of things can I expect to do with this? I know its made ideally for an iphone so I won't have a lot of the features like the advanced app mode, but I can at least connect via bluetooth and stream music right? Can I stream via Pandora? Thanks for any input.
Yes, pandora works over bluetooth, you just need to change the setting for app control to be over bluetooth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH