Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

best option for HU unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best option for HU unit

hello all. i am starting the process of adding and aftermarket hu unit, and would like some advice. I'm already looking into the double din brackets, but now need advice on what stereo to get. first and foremost i want something that will play my iPod, which most hu unit do this, but that also looks nice. touch screen would be plus, navigation would also be plus but not a must... any suggestions?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Everything supports iPod and has a touchscreen. EVERYTHING.
Stay away from integrated navigation. It's cost is substantially higher than any equivalent standalone unit.

If you're going totally basic, Pioneer's 1400DVD is pretty good, but I'd much prefer having the bluetooth and HD Radio in the 3400BH.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Wrong brand-name
Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Everything supports iPod and has a touchscreen. EVERYTHING.
Stay away from integrated navigation. It's cost is substantially higher than any equivalent standalone unit.

If you're going totally basic, Kenwood's 1400DVD is pretty good, but I'd much prefer having the bluetooth and HD Radio in the 3400BH.
Idk if you meant for it to be that way, but both links sent me to 2 different pioneer ones... Also, where would be the best place to buy this? I was on crutch field and put in my car and it showed me all of the ones that fit my car.. If I look elsewhere how do I go about making sure they fit the DD?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, meant to type Pioneer, not Kenwood.

I doubt if there's any DDin unit that won't fit in this car, there's tons of excess depth in there, and the DDin standard covers the front height and width to a fairly good standard. Kenwood has some that the face is are slightly wider than the JDM opening, but that requires only slight modification with a file or dremel tool for them to fit.

Crutchfield and any other authorized dealers will probably have higher prices, but they come with full mfg warranty. Sellers on amazon may be authorized retailers (gotta check the mfg's website to see) and have better prices, some of these sellers on amazon who are not authorized retailers will still provide a warranty through themselves, not the manufacturer. eBay sellers (usually cheapest) are usually complete gray-market. The gear is legit (or refurbished in some cases) and may not have any warranty at all. As-is, no refunds no nothing.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
ever hear anything about this one?
http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613D...?cc=01&tp=5684

and also, all of the ones you showed me will fit a 2005 double din set up? because some say they are 5.8 others say they are 6.1.. bit confused

Last edited by Blacklite; 03-22-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

5.8 / 6.1 / 7... that's the screen size, not the face size.

The Kenwood 418 is a fine unit, it's interface isn't as good as Pioneer's. The Kenwood 418 was better than the Pioneer 3300BT, as the 418 supported stereo bluetooth streaming audio, not just phone like the 3300BT. However, the 3400BT bests the 418 by having stereo bluetooth streaming audio AND the built-in HD FM Receiver. HD FM is absolutely CD quality. The one station that has it where I live sounds perfect, and when I go to big cities, most every station comes in HD FM.

Yes, they ALL fit.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
5.8 / 6.1 / 7... that's the screen size, not the face size.

The Kenwood 418 is a fine unit, it's interface isn't as good as Pioneer's. The Kenwood 418 was better than the Pioneer 3300BT, as the 418 supported stereo bluetooth streaming audio, not just phone like the 3300BT. However, the 3400BT bests the 418 by having stereo bluetooth streaming audio AND the built-in HD FM Receiver. HD FM is absolutely CD quality. The one station that has it where I live sounds perfect, and when I go to big cities, most every station comes in HD FM.

Yes, they ALL fit.
Thanks a lot wrathernaut I'll have to do some thinking and see if I wanna put the extra cash for Bluetooth and hd radio.. My dilema is, if I have my iPod hooked up, there's no reason for me to be Playing the radio lol. But idk, well see

Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Blacklite
Thanks a lot wrathernaut I'll have to do some thinking and see if I wanna put the extra cash for Bluetooth and hd radio.. My dilema is, if I have my iPod hooked up, there's no reason for me to be Playing the radio lol. But idk, well see
I personally enjoy the HD FM for talk radio the best. Speech is so much sharper and easier to understand, and it's something that's not going to be on your iPod (podcasts aren't the same). With many states enacting distraction-free driving laws, the bluetooth handsfree is good to have now, well-integrated before it's mandatory.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a Sony 770bt 7inch and I love it.tge navi is kind of cheesy but it gets the job done.the screen is really nice and plays movies great,also has a back up cam hook up,Bluetooth,hands free calling,also if you have speed cameras in your area it has it some type of sensor(I guess)that alerts you.its reall great and worth the $650 I paid for it from crutch field.also if you order it from crutch field they'll give you a free wiring harness so you can keep the Bose speakers.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blacklite
hello all. i am starting the process of adding and aftermarket hu unit, and would like some advice. I'm already looking into the double din brackets, but now need advice on what stereo to get. first and foremost i want something that will play my iPod, which most hu unit do this, but that also looks nice. touch screen would be plus, navigation would also be plus but not a must... any suggestions?
Am doing the same thing right now. Looked at the pioneer 2400bt. Has the bluetooth and the ipod controller. Also uses flash drives. No hd radio but is a little less.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Pioneer!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by westbank23
I have a Sony 770bt 7inch and I love it.tge navi is kind of cheesy but it gets the job done.the screen is really nice and plays movies great,also has a back up cam hook up,Bluetooth,hands free calling,also if you have speed cameras in your area it has it some type of sensor(I guess)that alerts you.its reall great and worth the $650 I paid for it from crutch field.also if you order it from crutch field they'll give you a free wiring harness so you can keep the Bose speakers.
No sensor in it, it just has speed cameras as points of interest in the database.

I could never get past the painfully slow interface on the Sony units I demoed.