Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Blue Dream's DD build; JVC, Clarus, JL, MB QT etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Finally Blue Dream's DD build; JVC, Clarus, JL, MB QT etc.

Wow for all of you that think this is an easy task I'm jealous. A friend of mine and I have invested about 22 hours into this project and all I have left to fix is the back up camera. I learned a lot along the way and helped troubleshoot a few issues as well. Started off with stripping the rear seats and the trunk liners.

Show more

Show more

Then pulled the HU

Wasn't happy with mounting points for my amps so I built 2 mounting boards out of 1/2" MDF to mount them which are painted Lakeshore Slate, same color as my car. Amps are JL 300/4 and 500/1.

Mounted the Clarus front components and soundproofed the doors. The tweeters mounted in the factory positions no worries and I have to say these are some of the best components I have heard. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Show more

My buddy wiring up the amps and the work in progress.

Wanted to keep my XM but the antenna posed an install issue so I modified the stock set up by cutting up the old XM antenna and fabbing my own new version. Wanted to follow the XM guidelines and keep the antenna 6" from the glass and this seemed to be the best option. Only bad point was the paint under the old antenna was a little darker than my car which was to be expected on an 8 year old car with over 100K miles. This is just the test fit, finished product looks better.

Show more

Show more

On to the HU and all the BS that went with it. Fabbed up the Bose plug for the Metra 7550 and it worked like a charm, thanks to those who posted links on this.

Show more

Show more

Mounted the sub in the 4080 box, the back up camera, and the amps to the rear deck. Still having an issue with the camera but that will be worked out shortly.

Show more

Show more

Ran into an issue with no sound coming from the components using the stock speaker wires. We finally figured out they went through the Bose amp so took that POS out and threw it in the trash.

Putting it all back together.

Show more

Show more

And finally the finished product. Overall I'm really happy with everything we did, the system sounds amazing and looks great as well. I need to thank Milo (grippin) without whom I would have never tackled this project and to Wrathernut, AARONHL, Top Teke, and all who gave my advice and insight in this forum. The project took me 7 months from the beginning of amassing parts to completion and it was well worth the wait. I look at my car in a whole new way these days.

Show more

Show more

Show more

Show more

The following users liked this post:
thescreensavers (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Looks great. It looks like you didn't have to drill new mounting holes for the headunit, and yet it looks very flush in the completed pictures.

Still wish I could have helped with the install more hands-on, but it looks like you had several great helpers from how it turned out.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Awesome, i'm so jelly

Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Go big or go home haha

Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Now another reason to visit l.a. again ! With your new set up crusing here would be a breeze !

So we will see you at the in and out meet ?

I am jelly too.

I can only add an amp and a zenclosure box... No moolah for dd

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Nice man. Jelly as well

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
looks great Tim

one of these days ill finish my build haha

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what speakers you running

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Ran into an issue with no sound coming from the components using the stock speaker wires. We finally figured out they went through the Bose amp so took that POS out and threw it in the trash.
Nice build. What I did to get around the issue you described is I spliced the speaker wires coming from my amp into the wiring coming out of the BOSE amp. I want to deal with routing the wires through the molex connectors (maybe another day).

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Wow. Great job! One of these days I'll put a DD unit in my sedan too. I think it really updates the interior of our cars.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks everyone it was a cool experience and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to finish it.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Looks great. It looks like you didn't have to drill new mounting holes for the headunit, and yet it looks very flush in the completed pictures.

Still wish I could have helped with the install more hands-on, but it looks like you had several great helpers from how it turned out.
We got lucky and the JVC mounted up that way in the stock bracket. Needless to say I was happy we didn't have to mess with that.

Originally Posted by NATH_19
Now another reason to visit l.a. again ! With your new set up crusing here would be a breeze !

So we will see you at the in and out meet ?

I am jelly too.

I can only add an amp and a zenclosure box... No moolah for dd

I'm hoping to be out there again this year. Nothing wrong with Zenclosures. I almost went that way but wanted to keep my pass through open.

Originally Posted by youngG
what speakers you running
Fronts are Clarus C61-2. I almost bought the Focal 165s before I heard mine and couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by acr
Nice build. What I did to get around the issue you described is I spliced the speaker wires coming from my amp into the wiring coming out of the BOSE amp. I want to deal with routing the wires through the molex connectors (maybe another day).
Great idea.

Originally Posted by PAIXAO
Wow. Great job! One of these days I'll put a DD unit in my sedan too. I think it really updates the interior of our cars.
It definitely makes me look at my car differently.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Looks awesome, the best part about the JVC unit the face comes off, with newer models they dont make it anymore.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Good deal Blue, I really like this setup. Looks like the **** lights on the JVC are a perfect match. Congrats!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome audio build Tim. I dream of having a very similar set up. I'm jealous too.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 AM

Thanks Adler, just wish I had done it sooner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.