Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock CD unit not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock CD unit not working

hi guys, I did a quick search but didnt come up with what I was looking for

my stock CD stereo stopped working about a year ago and I've been using a tape transmitter since.. now the quality on it is really bugging me and it's time for me to get a CD player again

the radio and cassette work, its only the CD player that needs to be fixed

i was quoted approx. $550 to get an OEM replacement for it

What other options do I have? Im not interested in spending thousands and getting a navigation package but if its not too much more expensive, I will look into it.

Car is an 04 coupe btw.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
If you use the cheap-looking metra dash kit and a basic single-din radio, it can be done for less than $200.

For a list of all the required parts and such:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you use the cheap-looking metra dash kit and a basic single-din radio, it can be done for less than $200.

For a list of all the required parts and such:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html
oh wow thats really helpful

The $200 is for the "Single Din" conversion am I right? I doubt I would be able to install it myself. What is the difference between Double din and single din and will the quality be the original bose quality?

sorry for the noob questions, I'm really clueless when it comes to this aspect of the car.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen quite a few inexpensive Bose units go up for sale for if you want to just keep the stock stereo for the lowest cost involved.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
You can find places that will refurbish your stock stereo for about $50. Most of them will warranty their work for something like a year, which is more than long enough to make sure they didn't do sh*tty work.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by van_driver
oh wow thats really helpful

The $200 is for the "Single Din" conversion am I right? I doubt I would be able to install it myself. What is the difference between Double din and single din and will the quality be the original bose quality?

sorry for the noob questions, I'm really clueless when it comes to this aspect of the car.
Yeah, single-din are the smaller radios, double-din are the ones that are the size with 7" touchscreens and such.

Single-din can be had for about $50. Double dins usually start at well over $100.

So long as you use the PAC ROEM when installing (from the shopping list) the bose will sounds as "good" (bose sucks) as it ever did.

Yes, you can have the factory system repaired, but there's about 6 common failures of these headunits, and some of them are mechanical failures that won't get fixed together with the semi-related power circuit issues.