Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Speakers - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I already have a kicker comp vr 12" in my G, hooked to a 400/1 MB Quart....

I wouldn't mind replacing front speakers and adding an amp...if I only replace the front (2) then do I get a 2 channel amp, or a new amp to run all speakers and replace the bose amp all together. I think I know the answer, but Im starting to get confused. I'm not willing to replace the HU at the time. Wouldnt mind some high's/mid's upgrade for a couple hundred if I could (used probably).

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Javi04
Damn, I don't want to buy another amp. lol

What would work with my amp?
Either choice would benefit from the JL amp, but it won't be ideal.

The crest factor of a CD is like 30db(a power factor of 1000), which means the peaks can be 30 dB higher than the average, so if you are listening to music at 1 watt RMS.. your amp (even the one on the tweeters) will need to be able to produce a full 1000 watt output - even if for just a few milliseconds. It's even worse with compressed mp3's.

This why guys can put 600 watt amps on 100w speakers and rarely if ever blow them, the power is for headroom.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just did all my high on the g, went with all Polk audio and have no complaints. Polk components in the front and Polk 6x9 3 ways in the rear, and a Polk 4 Chanel 600 watt amp.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Replacing with another bose, easy as can be.
Replacing with aftermarket, you have to:
Run new power wire from the battery, which isn't bad if you're comfortable removing interior panelsExtend the audio signal in/speaker signal out wires from the bose amp harness to reach the new amp, which isn't bad if you're comfortable using a soldering iron.
Mount the amp somewhere, again, not bad if you're comfortable with a saw, drill and some MDF.

The other important factor, is if you're still using the bose headunit, you need an amplifier that is designed to use balanced audio inputs. JL Audio amps all do, and are easy to find. Other brands have select amps that do, but they're generally harder to find.
Which interior panels need to be removed apart from the door panels? I'm about 4 weeks away from sorting out a completely new system.

Going with the JDM DD dash, Pioner X940BT head unit and most probably JL audio 12'' sub then just need to work out the door speakers. I know someone that can fit this for me just curious what sort of panels and how big of a job it is to replace every stock BOSE sound component and swap for the aftermarket.

thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
The center pillar, the rubber door seals (to get the carpet up), the rear seat are all that's necessary, depending on where you want the wire to come out in the trunk.

The bose sub is probably the worst to get out, since you have to completely remove the rear deck paneling to get it out.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for your help Wrathernaut.

I guess i will pass this on to the installer, what do you think of the head unit i listed? it's about $600 delivered.
Also any suggestions for door speakers to go with the combo and an amp(s)?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Seano350GT

I guess i will pass this on to the installer, what do you think of the head unit i listed? it's about $600 delivered.
I think the navigation in the X940 isn't worth paying for. I think you'd be happier with the AVH-P4400BH or AVH-P8400BH and a standalone garmin with free map updates and free lifetime traffic instead.

The standalone garmin can be mounted up in the center cubby, where it's much easier to see while driving, rather than down by the shifter, and it can come with you when you're on a trip in a rental. Plus the interface and accuracy beats the Pioneer stuff by a longshot. Also, map updates for the Pioneer run over $100, more than half the cost of the garmin, but the garmin is free for life.

Oh, but if you're like me, and are buying the X940 for the voice control of the iPod, then it's great. That's the main reason I picked up my X910BT and Z120BT, and it works quite well, especially if you have thousands of songs and hundreds of artists that are nearly impossible to browse through while driving. Now, hitting a button and saying "Play artist The Hanslick Rebellion" and having it play is fantastic.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Seano350GT

what's your speaker budget