Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock HU prob+DD from stock/Dimensions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock HU prob+DD from stock/Dimensions

After many years of reading this forum and putting the advice to good use, I have a a few questions of my own. I did try and search for answers but none really were close to my issues. If somehow I missed them I apologize.

First I have a '04 G35 Sedan I bought new. Non Bose HU

Over the past few months the radio works intermediately. I will be driving then a "pop" is heard and it turns on. Once it comes on I have a few seconds to adjust the volume
then it stays stuck at that setting. There is no pattern as to when it comes on. SO for the most part I am without radio/cd/cassette.

So I have a choice to repair or replace. Replacing means a new dash kit, plus the cost of a new HU as you all know plus an antenna adapter I think.
$360 JDM Dash kit + HU+ adapter=mucho dinero

1st question is: Has anyone experienced this? If so what was the fix?

2. Can Anyone confirm the actual measurements of the opening for a DD HU? Far as I could find it is 7" wide x 4.2 high. (100mm x 360mm)
The reason I ask this is I have a machine shop. And making a nice neat accurate opening is no problem. But upon measuring the stock dash kit it would be just shy of clearing the round buttons for the HU controls. (Am/FM ,CD, SAT etc) leaving a slight arc on each.

3. Would a trim ring cover more than the 7x4.2 area? this would give me some fudge room and cover those round sections that didn't get cut out.

I understand the bracket can be reused. Drilling new hole patterns is not a problem.

I would rather put more $ into a HU than the JDM dash kit if at all possible.
And the Metra from what I have read is not an option. I want it to look as clean as possible.
I do rea;ize I would need a new AC controller..but $220 is way better than $365.

And on that note....and if not asking too much...recommended HU's??
I don't need Nav, or Sat radio. $400-600 range.
I do use my iPad/iPhone for music a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Now...to look up suggested shocks...

Richard

Last edited by Lakerfan58; 02-06-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerfan58
After many years of reading this forum and putting the advice to good use, I have a a few questions of my own. I did try and search for answers but none really were close to my issues. If somehow I missed them I apologize.

First I have a '04 G35 Sedan I bought new. Non Bose HU

Over the past few months the radio works intermediately. I will be driving then a "pop" is heard and it turns on. Once it comes on I have a few seconds to adjust the volume
then it stays stuck at that setting. There is no pattern as to when it comes on. SO for the most part I am without radio/cd/cassette.

So I have a choice to repair or replace. Replacing means a new dash kit, plus the cost of a new HU as you all know plus an antenna adapter I think.
$360 JDM Dash kit + HU+ adapter=mucho dinero

1st question is: Has anyone experienced this? If so what was the fix?

2. Can Anyone confirm the actual measurements of the opening for a DD HU? Far as I could find it is 7" wide x 4.2 high. (100mm x 360mm)
The reason I ask this is I have a machine shop. And making a nice neat accurate opening is no problem. But upon measuring the stock dash kit it would be just shy of clearing the round buttons for the HU controls. (Am/FM ,CD, SAT etc) leaving a slight arc on each.

3. Would a trim ring cover more than the 7x4.2 area? this would give me some fudge room and cover those round sections that didn't get cut out.

I understand the bracket can be reused. Drilling new hole patterns is not a problem.

I would rather put more $ into a HU than the JDM dash kit if at all possible.
And the Metra from what I have read is not an option. I want it to look as clean as possible.
I do rea;ize I would need a new AC controller..but $220 is way better than $365.

And on that note....and if not asking too much...recommended HU's??
I don't need Nav, or Sat radio. $400-600 range.
I do use my iPad/iPhone for music a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Now...to look up suggested shocks...

Richard
Your symptoms sound like a fairly typical case of the power circuit killing the audio control board.

Different headunits have different dimensions, seeing as you have access to a milling machine, I'd recommend just making the opening as small as possible, right along the top of the round buttons, and the bottom along with the bottom button, just like was done in this install:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html

Name:  photo-46.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  78.7 KB

Any black plastic can be used to fill in the gap, but I've had good luck working with the scosche universal double din trim ring.

As for the radio, If you're running an automatic, go for the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH, or a manual go for the AVH-P4400BH. The 4400 has a bigger screen, but the moving face doesn't clear the shifter in the automatic when you're in park. You can also go with the 4400 with the automatic if you rarely, if ever, use the DVD drive. They both have great interfaces for the iPhone, including Pandora support.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 02-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Wow , thanks so much. I was worried about a possible gap but I see now it can be easily remedied.
I can keep the original dash & color, and squeeze in something new.
Thanks for the radio recommendation also. I think it fits the bill perfectly and the price is very good.

You mentioned the stock radio being a common problem....I take it the fix is a new radio.

One last thing and I promise to stop asking questions..(on this topic)
Will I need an adapter for the antenna? I've read so much I think I've got myself cornfuzed.
And the harness adapter I take it is a fairly common thing but I would really be happy to hear your advice on these.
Oh and where do I send the check??

Thanks again,
Richard

Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerfan58
Wow , thanks so much. I was worried about a possible gap but I see now it can be easily remedied.
I can keep the original dash & color, and squeeze in something new.
Thanks for the radio recommendation also. I think it fits the bill perfectly and the price is very good.

You mentioned the stock radio being a common problem....I take it the fix is a new radio.

One last thing and I promise to stop asking questions..(on this topic)
Will I need an adapter for the antenna? I've read so much I think I've got myself cornfuzed.
And the harness adapter I take it is a fairly common thing but I would really be happy to hear your advice on these.
Oh and where do I send the check??

Thanks again,
Richard
All the parts you need are listed in the best sticky'd post on this forum:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

As for checks... I don't take money, but contributing by documenting your cutting and gap filling the stock faceplate would help others doing the same thing. Granted, they are unlikely to have access to the tools you have, but it's still helpful nonetheless.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Sounds fair enough. Thanks again for all your help.

Richard