Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Android in your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android in your car?

Does anyone have an android based receiver in their G or android tablet installed in place of the radio? I've seen one member with a Galaxy Tab 2 installed. I'm looking to buy a new receiver, as I'm tired of making so many CDs for music, and I thought it would be nice to have something "smart" like an android system to integrate with my phone. I'm also looking at AppRadio 2 but I've heard from a few installers that it's not a very good system.
Any suggestions on receivers would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The only android-based headunits like you find on eBay vary greatly in quality.

If you have a headunit that supports bluetooth streaming from your android phone, I believe it's a better option than trying to do a tablet.

Few tablet apps, if any are optimized for a simple, driver-friendly interface. They have tiny fonts and small buttons that are unsafe for a driver to try and use while the vehicle is in motion.
Tablets do not have screens optimized to reduce glare in any way, so they can dangerously reflect light at the driver, or at least make the screen hard to see when there's the sun shining into the car.

Some (like the Nexus 7) have polarized screens that make them impossible to see the screen at all in portrait orientation while wearing polarized lenses.

I'd recommend just getting a good modern headunit that supports pandora and other streaming audio sources, the AppRadio is a good step towards what they should start making headunits do, but it's still not there.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response! Okay I have a Nexus 7 and polarized lenses on my sunglasses so I guess I can rule out that option. I had a great JVC unit in my previous car that had A2DP Bluetooth streaming, played DVDs, video input (rearview camera), etc. I would probably get the same thing, but I wanted to explore other options. Do you know what App Radio lacks? It would be nice to have something that displays maps from my Nexus 4 rather than getting a unit that needs updating maps every few months (I live in Atlanta and there's always construction and new roads). I also want something that doesn't have buttons sticking out, the less pop out buttons the more flush it looks. Any suggestions?