Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket head unit=no control of a/c

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket head unit=no control of a/c

i have an 03 g35 and i read the threads about getting the jdm a/c controller if you're getting an aftermarket stereo...thought i found a way around it but i guess not?

my factory stereo stopped working so just as a temp solution I put my kenwood head unit in the upper glove compartment so i could just leave the factory a/c and stereo in their original place. the stereo now works perfect and the non-stereo plugs are plugged back into the factory a/c spots on the back of the factory stereo but i have no control of the heater or a/c now...it kinda just picks a temp, a mode, and a blower level and does it's own thing...

are the stereo plugs also controlling the climate control? i assumed because there are 4 plugs going into the back of the factory stereo, and 2 plugs that you have to use for the aftermarket stereo, then the other two plugs are used for climate control...but they're plugged into their original location and apparently doing nothing in the way of allowing me to adjust the a/c

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
The stereo provides the power to the factory climate controls.

I can't confirm it, but I believe that if you run the main power and ground wire to the factory radio, you'll restore the climate controls.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
i was wondering if it was something like...i dont know who designed this stereo system but it's the stupidest thing i've ever seen

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yep, bad, but much worse because the climate controls and headunit are conjoined instead of separate pieces from the start. Since there was a JDM separate climate controls piece, it seems it would be more cost-efficient to use that one piece in *all* the cars rather than having the joined pieces in some of the JDM and all of the USDM vehicles.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yep, bad, but much worse because the climate controls and headunit are conjoined instead of separate pieces from the start. Since there was a JDM separate climate controls piece, it seems it would be more cost-efficient to use that one piece in *all* the cars rather than having the joined pieces in some of the JDM and all of the USDM vehicles.
i agree but who knows what their reasoning was. i had a 350z before my g35 and it appears to be the same radio that's in the g. the 350z was simple to install a new head unit, but for some reason they felt the need to make the radio and climate control together on the g35

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
I haven't begun with mine because I don't wana buy some $200 piece of JDM plastic

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I have an 03 coupe as well and I had the same issue. The a/c was stuck on auto @ 70 degrees and I couldn't adjust it and lost the radio as well. I replaced the dash with a double din and there's a relay right behind the controls (its attached to the dash) that when it goes u lose all functions of a/c and radio. My suggestion, buy a aftermarket dash kit for about 250 or replace that control board which could turn into a nightmare. After I replaced mine I had all functions and everything works perfect. Best of luck.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM
and be careful with your wiring, if u dont know what ur doing you could potentially destroy something else by bypassing ths relay. that lack of resistance on the coil side of that relay could cause a current spike and fry other units.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The stereo provides the power to the factory climate controls.

I can't confirm it, but I believe that if you run the main power and ground wire to the factory radio, you'll restore the climate controls.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cangelosijr
Ok, I have an 03 coupe as well and I had the same issue. The a/c was stuck on auto @ 70 degrees and I couldn't adjust it and lost the radio as well. I replaced the dash with a double din and there's a relay right behind the controls (its attached to the dash) that when it goes u lose all functions of a/c and radio. My suggestion, buy a aftermarket dash kit for about 250 or replace that control board which could turn into a nightmare. After I replaced mine I had all functions and everything works perfect. Best of luck.
so i can't just splice into the new stereo's power wire and hook it into the pin where it would plug into the back of the stock stereo? along with the ground? this is a temp solution-ish so if in any way possible i dont want to buy the jdm piece. i have it set up where the upper glove box was at and flush with gloss black plexi glass so it looks nice and the stereo works. i just need to get power back to the climate control

Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I will grab u wiring diagrams tomorrow. If u need help reading them let me know.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Cangelosijr
I will grab u wiring diagrams tomorrow. If u need help reading them let me know.
i appreciate it, thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM
got it all wired up. climate control is fully functional and so is the new head unit...still ridiculous that i had to plug the harness into the stock radio, splice the two 12v wires from there to the new head unit, then cut the wires from the stock harness and run them to the new stereo but it does all work now so good enough haha

Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 AM
NSFALLEN- wish you would do a YouTube video on how to splice the a/c comtrols

Old 08-13-2020, 01:16 PM
G35
Dear Wrathernaut
I have been reading your posts and you seem super knowledgable about the wiring issues with the G35. I know I'm responding to an old post but I am having a similar problem and would really appreciate any guidance you can offer. A long story short: purchased JDM DD with A/C control from Ebay (used/good condition). Replaced stock stereo and A/C controller with the JDM. The new Pioneer radio with Apple Play etc is working smoothly. BUT there is no power to A/C controller. Car runs A/C from 'auto' mode but the JDM control unit is not functioning. I have checked fuses and ensured wiring connector blocks are secure. Could I be missing something? Do I need to splice into the new control unit or should that be plug and play?
Thanks in anticipation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit=no control of a/c