Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bass notes makes headlights/taillights dim!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Knew_EraG
Most likely going to start that this weekend.

Battery needed replacement regardless, took it to Autozone for a battery test and it had 1 dead cell and would not hold a charge. Amps ground point was sanded down to bare metal for 5-10 minutes. Even relocated it as well to the rear seat bracket which was sanded down as well.

Exactly, we installed two kickers, 400 watts rms each, and a kenwood amp to my brothers 06" accord and his vehicle has no dimming at all. Definitely not trying to replace the alternator all for some extra bass. Im using 4 gauge wiring power/ground, 12 gauge speaker wire.

Have not done that but i am considering doing that after all the hassle. Does anyone have a write up on the Big 3? I know which wires they are but i find write ups useful.

And to top it all off, the SES light came on today!!! DTC P1065. Took everything apart (sound system), reset the ecm and the SES light has since gone away and hasn't came back on after 20 miles of driving. This has been a dam hassle, all for some freaking bass.

Thanks for all the input guys, definitely learned a few things for future installs. For now i think im gonna stick to the "ok" stock bose, really have no choice.
You're running 4 gauge from battery to trunk for two amps? That's too much distance for that much power RMS.

Originally Posted by http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3RviihhM9pI/learn/learningcenter/car/cable_gauge_chart.html
To determine the approximate current draw (in amperes) of your amplifier (or amplifiers), you must calculate first the total power of each amp (multiply the number of channels by the number of RMS watts per channel). If you have multiple amps, add up the total power figures to arrive at a grand total. Next, double your grand total power figure. Then, divide by 13.8.

So for a pair of 400w RMS amps, at about 13-16' of wire, you're on the very limit of what 4 gauge can do. In my sedan, I used 17' of wire to get to the distribution block in the trunk, followed by about 3' of wire from the block to each of the amps, so 4 gauge would be far insufficient. For the relatively small cost increase and the same install time, I recommend running 0 gauge for any amp install in the trunk so you can upgrade or add a second amp in the future without the hassle of running new power wire.

On a side note, going by the wiring chart here, how much power do you think the factory bose amp *really* put out with its 14 gauge (or was it even thinner than that) wire in the trunk?

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 03-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You're running 4 gauge from battery to trunk for two amps? That's too much distance for that much power RMS.

So for a pair of 400w RMS amps, at about 13-16' of wire, you're on the very limit of what 4 gauge can do. In my sedan, I used 17' of wire to get to the distribution block in the trunk, followed by about 3' of wire from the block to each of the amps, so 4 gauge would be far insufficient. For the relatively small cost increase and the same install time, I recommend running 0 gauge for any amp install in the trunk so you can upgrade or add a second amp in the future without the hassle of running new power wire.

On a side note, going by the wiring chart here, how much power do you think the factory bose amp *really* put out with its 14 gauge (or was it even thinner than that) wire in the trunk?
The two subs I was referring to was for my brothers Accord. I simply had a Diamond Audio D6, 600 watts rms with a underpowered amp. And yes it's only 4 gauge power wire from the battery to the amp in the trunk, and its only one single amp. I'm not sure what you mean by wired to two amps? I will definitely take that into consideration for next time but for now I'm taking it out. Sucks but oh well.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Knew_EraG
The two subs I was referring to was for my brothers Accord. I simply had a Diamond Audio D6, 600 watts rms with a underpowered amp. And yes it's only 4 gauge power wire from the battery to the amp in the trunk, and its only one single amp. I'm not sure what you mean by wired to two amps? I will definitely take that into consideration for next time but for now I'm taking it out. Sucks but oh well.
I mean you run 0 gauge to the distribution block, then 4 gauge wired to the two amps from there.