Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New System & now Electrical Whine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Below is a picture of the offender of my noise issue

This evening I was able to take back apart the dash and below are the results of the testing I ran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTS

1. Move Ground wire for Navigation/Radio to metal brace under radio | FAILED (Noise still present)

2. Remove Front RCA's From system | PASSED (Noise is Gone)

3. Plug in Front RCA's Remove Rear RCA's | FAILEd (Noise present)

4. Swap Front and Rear RCA's | FAILED (Noise now present in rear speakers)

5. Swap Front RCA's for RCA's that were run for my sub that I have not purchased yet | PASSED (no noise at all )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically it comes down to I have 1 faulty pair of RCA Cables out of the 3 that I ran for my system.

Awesome right all that work just to find out I got a pair of defective RCA's.

I went ahead and pulled them completely out of my car (Which was a B**** because I had zip tied all my RCA's togother for a clean installation every 10 inches or so) .

So now I have 2 sets of RCA's 1 for the the Front 1 for the Rear and when I purchase my sub Ill have to re-rip everything apart to run RCAs again lol but for the time being I am happy.

Moral of the story sometimes the smallest parts cause the biggest headaches

SGTRed and Wrathernaut I wanted to personally say thanks to you both for helping me out with all of this. Both of you defiantly helped me troubleshoot this issue methodically instead of just shotgunning it and replacing crap.

I now have a very nice and LOUD system without any real base (until sub is purchased).

I hope this helps anyone who may run into issues like this later.

Oh and for reference i used this guide to assist me as well in troubleshooting the noise issues.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...ine-noise.html

Lol funny thing is ill still need to purchase another RCA cable and yet this one looks just fine.

Anyone know how to test a RCA cable inside your house. Only thing i can think of is using a multimeter.

I AM NOW 100% ENGINE NOISE FREE

Last edited by DBayPlaya2k3; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
^Wrathernaut, if it is the RCAs I'm taking 100 points from your reputation for being right, deal with it.
Wrathernaut looks like SgtRed will be deducing some points from your total lol so be on the lookout.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow ill try to write down some tips for troubleshooting all this crap since ive been though just about all of it.

Lol Ill also list testing ground with multimeter.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
To test the RCAs you have to throw them in the trash ROFLMAO

Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Holy crap man your up early guess those 12 hour shifts are no joke.

Yeah for all the trouble those RCA's caused me I was thinking of burning them lol but I bought them through amazon for $15.00 bucks a piece so figure ill have amazon refund me for them and use it to purchase the RF Cables you suggested.

I don't know if I will start a new thread detailing my install or just add it to this one but though it might be useful for future base heads.

The following users liked this post:
SergeantRed (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Make a new thread if one doesn't exist. I've got a few tutorials I have to work on but I have to wait a few days. I've got my alpine 4 channel, 0 gauge power and ground wires inbound.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
Make a new thread if one doesn't exist. I've got a few tutorials I have to work on but I have to wait a few days. I've got my alpine 4 channel, 0 gauge power and ground wires inbound.
Lol Nice if your using 0 gauge are you planning on having more than 1 amp and using distribution blocks?

I remember 0 gauge being a B**** to crimp lol.

What kind of Alpine amp did you get?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, distro blocks etc. I picked up the MRX-F35 off amazon. I already had the MRX M50 and love it. 0 gauge is a bitch to crimp if you don't have the right tools

Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Ha thats awesome I was considering the exact same amp for my setup like a week ago.

I only decided on the PDX-V9 because I wanted 1 amp for it all that I could hide easily.

Lol yeah I dont have any crimpers that will handle 0 gauge easily.

Wonder is harbor freight sells any (harbor freight is cheap tool store in case you never heard of it).

Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by DBayPlaya2k3
Well guys Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Below is a picture of the offender of my noise issue

Since they were faulty by fault, and not by design I can't claim complete victory, but still get some gloating factor, since if you'd used parts I used, the problem wouldn't have been there, even if just by technicality.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 AM
I suppose my consulation to all this is that upon installing my 4-Channel I achieved a "whining" noise myself and it was my ground!!! :P