Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Great News for those who don't want to change the HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by remami
Sounds like about a days work. It really all depends on what you got and where you want it installed. Stop by on Saturday, I'll be at the shop.

For sure I will stop by this weekend. I just got my HU and processor last night so, i am pretty much good to go..

Old 02-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Sound Advice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, I'll see you then.

Also, I found a little more info from JL on the subject of the Clean Sweep:

Thank you for your interest in our up coming CleanSweep. This item was
intended and should be used with after market amplifier to drive speakers.
The CleanSweep's input must be driven by any full range analog audio signal.
This can be found on the output of the OEM amplifier or directly from the
speaker leads. Once the CleanSweep has been connected, you will calibrate
the signal, this will determine if the signal being used has at least 4
octaves of audio. If this is found, you will get green lights. If there is
not proper full range audio, you will get red lights.
To accomplish this, You do not need to have any of the output channels of
the CleanSweep connected.

There is four inputs and four outputs. Most (including our slash amps) have
a preamp output / pass through. This will allow signal to run from one amp
to a second amp. This giving you signal to all amp(s) being used. If you are
to use an amplifier selection that does not have a preamp / pass through,
You will need to split the signal of one of the CleanSweep's outputs.

If the OEM system consists of more then four channels of output, then multi
CleanSweeps will be necessary.

When this item hits the market, it will have an U.S. selling tag of $399.95

Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by remami
If the OEM system consists of more then four channels of output, then multi
CleanSweeps will be necessary.

When this item hits the market, it will have an U.S. selling tag of $399.95

So if you have 3 amps....say one 4-channel and one 2-channel to drive all six speakers plus a mono amp for the sub, you would need TWO CleanSweeps (for 5-8 channels of output)?!?!??! $800 bucks just to keep the decent but suboptimal stock Clarion HU? ....plus all your aftermarket amps, speakers and subs=$$$. IMO, I would just do DD conversion....or use a $20-40 VEN4 LOC........

doc

Last edited by docron1; 02-03-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ word em up!! i concur. forget the stock H.U. in that case.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I think this is no different from having front and rear RCAs from an aftermarket head unit. What would you do then? Most amps have that pass through so it will have another set of RCAs

Old 02-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Sound Advice
Since it seems like you would still need a seprate sub level control you would still be able to tap off one of the channels to run the mono block. I doubt you would need two clean sweeps. At this point we are all guessing. I have already ordered some and will be putting one in my G for sure as a test so I will report back as soon as I get to play around with the unit.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by joepaniolo
So if you have 3 amps....say one 4-channel and one 2-channel to drive all six speakers plus a mono amp for the sub, you would need TWO CleanSweeps (for 5-8 channels of output)?!?!??! $800 bucks just to keep the decent but suboptimal stock Clarion HU? ....plus all your aftermarket amps, speakers and subs=$$$. IMO, I would just do DD conversion....or use a $20-40 VEN4 LOC........

doc
I think you misunderstood. The only reason you would need more than one of these is if you had a factory radio with more than 4 channels, like for example the 5.1 unit in a Acura TL (don't the FX's also have 5.1 now?). The G has only a 4 channel output, so one unit is enough. Most amps have a pass through, or pre-amp output, that can feed another amp. You only need to clean up the 4 channels that come from the head unit. If you had an aftermarket 5.1 radio, you wouldn't need a Clean Sweep anyway.

And, chances are, after this device is out for a few months, it will be more like $200 on eBay, (perhaps without a warantee though).

Old 02-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerX
I think you misunderstood. The only reason you would need more than one of these is if you had a factory radio with more than 4 channels, like for example the 5.1 unit in a Acura TL (don't the FX's also have 5.1 now?). The G has only a 4 channel output, so one unit is enough. Most amps have a pass through, or pre-amp output, that can feed another amp. You only need to clean up the 4 channels that come from the head unit. If you had an aftermarket 5.1 radio, you wouldn't need a Clean Sweep anyway.

And, chances are, after this device is out for a few months, it will be more like $200 on eBay, (perhaps without a warantee though).

oh, yeah, I forgot about the "pass through" on most aftermarket amps.....makes sense. You would only need one cleansweep for 4 channel output from stock HU........

But how will this be markedly better than a good LOC which costs 1/10 of the JL product? Doesn't matter for me since I did DD covnersion but I don't want another enthusiast to shell out $400 for a product just b/c of the JL name or its marketing hype when they could either use a good LOC to *essentially* do the same thing or just do the DD thing.....

Grubbs: $199.99 for AC controller +~$60 for DD dash finisher = ~$260 (not needing aluminum bracket or dash pocket)
$300 for a decent mp3 enabled aftermarket HU.

vs. $400 for JL CleanSweep and stock Clarion HU....CD skipping, ghetto tape deck, no mp3 (for 03-04 models), lack of tweaking capability

Let us know how it works out....I'm curious to know. Can you compare JL CleanSweep vs. VEN4 LOC +same aftermarket components.?

doc

Last edited by docron1; 02-03-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 AM
"essentilly " is the question, real world sound quality needs to be heard /tested as you stated. For leased vehicles it is great. Take it out when the lease is up and use in next vehicle. Those w/so many many warranty problems, less conflict w/electrical and dash issues.

The best point to me is it is most likely the best I can do sound quality and continue to be completely stealth. If a theif doesn't see anything and I turn it down before entering an area no one wants what they don't know I have

Mark

Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Cmon Son!
^^ agreed.

I have read through the specs and these posts, but my brain is still not coming to a conclusion. If in addition to the stock Bose system, I have a monoblock amp for a sub, how, or would this be feasible?

The way I am thinking is if they run through the amp first and use the crossover on that to feed the rest of the channels, or am I mistaken?

Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I'm trying to make some sense of this "Clean Sweep" thingy. If I understand correctly, what is nice about this $400.00 dollar unit is I can take my speaker outputs from my factory amplifier, run them into the "Clean Sweep," then hook a "better" amp up and run the speakers from the new amp. Plus the "Clean Sweep" has an auxiliary input so I could hook up an iPod or DVD player, etc. Am I right so far? I like the idea of being able to hook up an iPod, but $400.00 dollars seems a bit pricey. Also, how do I switch to listen to the iPod on from the "Clean Sweep" unit? And, if I were to get a "Clean Sweep" would I have to buy another amp or could I still use the factory amp and just hook up the iPod?

I know, you're all thinking I'm an idiot, but I want to make sure this will work the way I want before dumping $400.00!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:31 AM
FYI alpine makes a CD changer controller that accepts the speaker inputs from your factory deck ( Hi/lo converther) and controlls an AI net changer (think MP3) and is priced round $100. If you have this unit, and the PAC aux input addapter you will be able to add your new amps, speakers, MP3 changer, XM or Serius radio, and a aftermarket nav unit to the stock radio. You can also add any sound processors to tailor your sound. I think this is a far better option. Ill let you all know when I get mine done.

It also comes with a wireless remote and display screen.

Last edited by g35john; 02-04-2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: For got to mention
Old 02-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I am not familiar with the above unit but you would lose the stealth of the Clean Sweep install wouldn't you? Also, the Clean Sweep will defeat your Blose EQ curve "automatically" leaving a +/- 1 db signal. What other units could you use w/the Alpine? are you tied to thier products? The Clean Sweep will work w/any brand. With the Clean Sweep only 1 piece, less complcated and just 1 brand. If it doesn't sound good it is pointless though.

I eagerly await a review of both products. 1 Venn4 for sale in May

Mark

Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Sound Advice
I know I am putting one in my G for sure. I'll post my reviews as soon as I get my hands on the unit.