Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Electrical Issue-Headlights, Steering Wheel, Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issue-Headlights, Steering Wheel, Seats

Whats going on guys,

Over the past couple of months my 2006 G35 coupe has been showing some weird issues. My first and top of my list issue is my left headlight. A few days ago my high and low beam stopped working but turning signal works. After a couple of days of surfing the internet and forums I decided to post a new thread because it doesn't seem that people post the solution to the issue and everybody has a small difference in their problem. Before I go further into my investigation I'd like to just see what others (more knowledgable G drivers) think. I went ahead and checked all my fuses already in the IPDM, also I hear the relay attempting to flick the lights on. Before I rip my bumper off and take a look at the headlight, my couple of questions are 1) Are the high and low beams connected to the same ballast? 2) What is the best way to troubleshoot and test the ballast? What else do you guys suggest I look into?

On a side note, my other small issues include: the steering wheel functions went out (left side going out first followed by the right side a month later), the horn stopped pissing terrible drivers off , my passenger seat will move forward and back, BUT the recline goes down but not up.

Ive seen the other threads regarding similar issues but has anyone posted their solution and or know what could be the issue? Obviously connection and wiring but is there a certain part I should be looking at that has been known for failing.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
1) The Ballast is for the Lo and Hi Beams.

2) Get a Multi-Meter and Refer to trouble shooting in the FSM - LIGHTING SECTION

Troubleshoot everything separately. I doubt they are interconnected but I have not done any research. Refer the the FSM by using this LINK

Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
We have a 2007 G35 which is developing weird symptoms.
1. Sport mode not working - will re-engage after car is shut down and restarted.
2. Sound system not working - dies and does not re-engage after car is shut down and restarted.
3. Windows were found partially open one morning, after night of rain - disconcerting, and we thought
one of us might have left them open. On reading some posts, realize this could be self-actuating.
4. Car won't start for no apparent reason. We have discovered that an Infiniti fail-safe feature of
shutting down the vehicle when lights are left on, or map lights are engaged for long periods
when engine not running, activates the shut-down. The manual says for 20 minutes - HAH.
The guys who designed it didn't test it.

Our local mechanic bemoans all the computerized controls which vehicles now have. With all these symptoms happening in the same time frame, we're tempted to take it to the dealer and ask them if there could possibly be a 'computer' glitch. Maybe a new 'motherboard'? Any comments from anyone? Anyone with similar experiences? Thank for your feedback.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Fascinating outcome re weird symptoms for 2007 G35. Diagnosis by the dealer of inoperable 'sport' mode in transmission resulted in repair by dealer (to tune of $700!!). However - it also appears to have solved all other 'weird' symptoms - sound system is now working normally, windows have not opened randomly, and engine has started under all conditions. It's the bloody electronics, folks! Too much of the system seems to be inter-connected. Our local mechanic says Infiniti is not alone with these problems - BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and others are all experiencing similar symptoms, similar solutions - not logical, it just happens. Good luck to all those out there who are having 'random' problems. Hope you find the 'major' fix which will solve other sticky wickets. Have fun!