Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

stock head unit with aftermarket amp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
stock head unit with aftermarket amp?

ok so im haveing a issue installing my amp to my stock head unit.. i have wired everything up but the rca connection. apparently my car dosnt have a stock sub so i went ahead and tried getting a signal from my right rear speaker..... but i cant tell witch is positive and negitive. all diagrams i seem to look up for 04 g35 coupe are not the colors i have.. my main question is... 1.is it ok to get signal from one speaker for my sub? or do i need both right and left for a strong connection for rca?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
1) It shouldn't matter at all whether you use left, right or both channels, since music is generally mixed with the bass signal the same on either channel. Negative/positive for the sub doesn't matter much either. Some people prefer it with switched phases anyway.

2) The wires change colors depending on your options in the car and where you are connecting in to them. It's not exactly clear on the manual where it changes, but for the rear passenger side, it goes from Orange +, Black w/Purple Stripe - to Brown +, and Black - at the speaker.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Well the colors I have are blue with red stripe and blue with yellow stripe.... I would assume anything with a red stripe would be positive won't you think? I just blew 1 speaker have no ide why. Only thing I can think of is that there are absolutely no wires touching.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Also just adding. The remote wire is on a light green wire from the bose amp and it's on as soon an i turn on the key. Reguardless if the radio is on or off.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Where you said you didn't have stock subs, I was assuming you were talking about rear 6x9's, which would mean non-bose, that's what those colors are for - the rear side speakers in a non-bose coupe. If you'd mentioned bose once in the first post, you would have gotten the answer you were looking for.

For a bose-equipped 2004 coupe:

The passenger side rear 6x9 colors are:
Blue w/red Stripe +
Blue w/white stripe -

The drivers side rear 6x9 colors are:
Blue w/yellow stripe +
White w/green stripe -

The amp-on signal is Sky Blue.

If you connected blue w/red and blue w/yellow to the same speaker or signal pair on an amp, that could cause unexpected results. The only light green wire going to/from the bose amp I see in the manual is the rear lefthand speaker + signal from the headunit.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you need to find +/- for any speaker take a 9v battery and take a wire from the + and the - off the battery and touch it to the speakers + and - terminal with the speaker unplugged. If the speaker pushes out, you have the wires from the battery on the correct terminals and if the speaker sucks in you have them backwards. works with any speaker.