Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan front door speakers - coax vs component? Two questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Sedan front door speakers - coax vs component? Two questions....

Hi. 2004 Sedan (non-Bose) with an aftermarket deck.

I plan on slowly upgrading the audio system. To date I've added a JVC double-din deck and a pair of 6 1/2" Clarion speakers in the rear doors as one of the stock rear speakers was torn.

I *may* add a sub and amp and drive all four door speakers with their own amp at some point, but haven't decided yet. In the meantime I want to upgrade the front door speakers.

I took the doors apart the other day and checked-out the stock set-up. I noticed that although there is a tweeter, there seems to be a full range of sound coming from the main speaker.

So, my first question is, if I continue to use the stock wiring, is it necessary to run component speakers in the front doors, or can I run a good set of two-way speakers and either disable the stock tweeters or leave them powered?

My second question is, there seems to be a ton of room behind the interior door panel. If I were to mount the front speakers on a 1/2" or 7/8" adapter ring, is it possible to install a larger speaker in the space? I test-fit a pair of old alpine 6 1/2" speakers I had laying around and they looked almost too small for the holes. Will a 6 3/4" or even an 8" speaker fit?

I'm not an audiophile, nor do I want to spend $$$$ on my system, just a nice clean sound for the occasional extended drive. I'm 46 and have other things to blow money on

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIronYuppy
Hi. 2004 Sedan (non-Bose) with an aftermarket deck.

I plan on slowly upgrading the audio system. To date I've added a JVC double-din deck and a pair of 6 1/2" Clarion speakers in the rear doors as one of the stock rear speakers was torn.

I *may* add a sub and amp and drive all four door speakers with their own amp at some point, but haven't decided yet. In the meantime I want to upgrade the front door speakers.

I took the doors apart the other day and checked-out the stock set-up. I noticed that although there is a tweeter, there seems to be a full range of sound coming from the main speaker.

So, my first question is, if I continue to use the stock wiring, is it necessary to run component speakers in the front doors, or can I run a good set of two-way speakers and either disable the stock tweeters or leave them powered?

My second question is, there seems to be a ton of room behind the interior door panel. If I were to mount the front speakers on a 1/2" or 7/8" adapter ring, is it possible to install a larger speaker in the space? I test-fit a pair of old alpine 6 1/2" speakers I had laying around and they looked almost too small for the holes. Will a 6 3/4" or even an 8" speaker fit?

I'm not an audiophile, nor do I want to spend $$$$ on my system, just a nice clean sound for the occasional extended drive. I'm 46 and have other things to blow money on
You can fit some pretty large spacer rings in there, and the holes behind the speaker are also quite large as well. You might be able to pull off an 8" without modification, so long as the magnet on the back wasn't huge. If you have a router of your own, give it a shot.

The following users liked this post:
TheIronYuppy (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks. But does it have to be a component speaker?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIronYuppy
Thanks. But does it have to be a component speaker?
If you do a coax in there, your tweeter's going to be firing waaay off of optimal, go with a component and replace the factory tweeter.