Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Can I install the OEM Navigation System in my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I install the OEM Navigation System in my car?

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 coupe with every option except for nav and RAS and I really want to install a factory navigation unit. I know this topic has been talked about many times about how expensive it is and that there are better units for cheaper but being as though are cars being older im sure that wrecked ones are becoming easier to come by. So my question is wouldnt it be simple/functional/and inexpensive to take the navigation system out of a wrecked g coupe and install it into mine? So far I know I would need the head unit,wiring harness, center dash console, and the piece that takes up my second glovebox. Thanks in advanced guys.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Quisj95
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 coupe with every option except for nav and RAS and I really want to install a factory navigation unit. I know this topic has been talked about many times about how expensive it is and that there are better units for cheaper but being as though are cars being older im sure that wrecked ones are becoming easier to come by. So my question is wouldnt it be simple/functional/and inexpensive to take the navigation system out of a wrecked g coupe and install it into mine? So far I know I would need the head unit,wiring harness, center dash console, and the piece that takes up my second glovebox. Thanks in advanced guys.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

I wouldn't install factory nav into my car without it if you paid me $500, and supplied the parts. And I'm the guy who spent a number of hours building this for fun just to prove it can be done, in case it's ever necessary to do in the future - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...07-dd-kit.html

It's not simple, it's nowhere near as functional as the cheapest garmin available. it was outdated as a navigation system when it was released in 2003. To compare it to what you have for free in any smartphone these days isn't even fair. It is expensive by any measure of time and money - it's $149 just for the map update alone.

This is the harness you have to install - it's the entire dash harness, not just one that goes between the unit and the radio.

This is the minimum level of dash disassembly you have to do in order to install that harness:

If you don't feel like disassembling both cars' dashes to get the complete harness out, and just cut a chunk from the donor car, you still need to disassemble yours to be able to solder the wires into the existing wiring harness, plus you have some nice meticulous searching and soldering in your future.

If you want to do anything like this, get the pop-up nav screen, power it, remove the factory navscreen and put something in that. Check these threads out for inspiration/info:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...n-looking.html

There's a huge reason why with the exception of one or two attempts, and only one (I believe) completed installs, nobody does it.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-25-2014 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Henry Els (10-12-2019)
Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!! I really appreciate this I had NO IDEA that it was that complicated. The posts I saw only spoke of the price of buying the parts not the actually difficulty. I thought it would have been alot more simple since it was made for the same car. That's surprising. You're also right about it as far as the quality I more so just like the idea of it and how it looks. Is yours fully functioning?

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-29-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: thread cleanup
Old 04-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
So glad this is a sticky!
This question definitely came to my mind now that I have a 1st gen sedan again.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:53 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
This quote should be the headline for the sticky, it's even more true now 6 years later since the sticky was made.

it's nowhere near as functional as the cheapest garmin available.

Wrathernaut (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 02:19 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670
This quote should be the headline for the sticky, it's even more true now 6 years later since the sticky was made.
Except people nowadays would be all "WTF is a garmin", it's like saying it's a little more functional than a pager.

Scorpi0 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 04:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I like the Garmin because it doesn't suck the data out of my phone. Maybe I'm just old school