Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sorry, another aftermarket head unit post

Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
White G35x
Sorry, another aftermarket head unit post

I've looked through a lot of the threads on head unit modifications, but it's such a huge mix of years and options, and broken links. The main thing I keep hearing is how expensive it is to buy DD kit. I have an 06 sedan, with NAV, non-Bose I believe since I don't see the name anywhere, and I don't see a SAT option. When looking up the installation kits, I keep seeing them around $150. It says it keeps the functionality of the climate controls. Did they just get cheaper since a lot of these posts were written, or am I missing something? $150 doesn't seem that bad at all to me if I don't have to do a bunch of custom cutting and soldering. This is one in particular that I've seen

Metra

Is there anything else that would be needed? I'm not too concerned with keeping the steering wheel controls, but what would that entail?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
The trim kit u posted is the cheaper looking version made by Metra. It works, but the buttons look cheap and not too many people like it for that reason. Most people go for the OEM JDM trim with nicer looking buttons...but it costs more.

Heres the JDM:

There are also 2 different versions: Nav and non-nav. Make sure u get the correct one for your car.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:32 PM
White G35x
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
The trim kit u posted is the cheaper looking version made by Metra. It works, but the buttons look cheap and not too many people like it for that reason. Most people go for the OEM JDM trim with nicer looking buttons...but it costs more.

Heres the JDM:

There are also 2 different versions: Nav and non-nav. Make sure u get the correct one for your car.
I really appreciate it. Is that the one labled as Skyline V35? Do you know if the back lighting is orange? And this is a cannabalized part right, not aftermarket? So I'd just be looking for used part sales?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM
As for the steering controls, thats up to you if u want it or not. I listen to music a lot and being able to adjust the volume and change tracks n whatnot was a must for me. Plus I like to have everything working as theyre supposed to.

All u need is the Metra ASWC-1 kit. It involves cutting/connecting a few wires and then its pretty easy to program. Since tou're already gonna have the entire head unit out, might as well install the steering wheel controls too.

And a related tip: Swapping out the stereo will require an antenna cable adapter if u wanna be able to listen to the radio. Nissan decided to use a different kinda antenna cable so it wont plug into your new stereo. The adapter cable will fix that issue.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM
White G35x
Awesome and direct replies... Thanks a lot! Sure beats trying to sift through all the other threads.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:43 PM
White G35x
And I noticed today that the volume "up" isn't working on the steering wheel control, so unless there is a simple fix, I'd probably just use a remote with the head unit.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by TheBFA
I really appreciate it. Is that the one labled as Skyline V35? Do you know if the back lighting is orange? And this is a cannabalized part right, not aftermarket? So I'd just be looking for used part sales?
Yeah thats the one. Backlighting will be orange. It is an original Nissan part. So yes...prolly not gonna find a new one.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:40 PM
And I noticed today that the volume "up" isn't working on the steering wheel control, so unless there is a simple fix, I'd probably just use a remote with the head unit.
That could be a messed up volume button or maybe wiring even. Most likely the button though. Try flooding it with a bunch of contact cleaner and working the button to see if it makes a difference.

or just buy a new button assembly.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 AM
White G35x
And actually, it is Bose. I just got the car yesterday, for my girlfriend, and haven't been in it much just yet. I just noticed today. Does that change anything when wiring in a new head unit, like needing to bypass the amp or anything?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:42 AM
And actually, it is Bose. I just got the car yesterday, for my girlfriend, and haven't been in it much just yet. I just noticed today. Does that change anything when wiring in a new head unit, like needing to bypass the amp or anything?
Yeah u will need to bypass the amp in that case.