Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the BEST Alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedhen
Basically all of them has the remote paging? That is the only feature I am interested in. I want a quality alarm system that can tell me if someone is trying to break into my car. What else besides compustar can do that?
I have a CompuSTAR... and I think it's a pretty good alarm..but I've been looking for a feature that I hadn't seen on any alarm system...finally found it a while ago...

http://www.asianwolf.com/

Not sure of the quality tho.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just got the Compustar installed yesterday..........damn that thing is pimp!

Old 05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
alarms are alarms. but if you're not there right away when it happens, then ur car is gone, unless they're just petty thieves. i had the top of the line viper 2yrs ago on my Si, all the shock and window sensors, w/ lcd pager, long range signal, put a backup battery and siren, had a wheel club. it happened at 2am, i was awaken by the pager but not right away, went out but the car is gone. took them probably only a few minutes to tow it. BUT this happened in Queens, NY. ppl there don't care even if they see this thing happening.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
The Viper 791XV is one of the most top notch alarms made in the US today if not the the best. It was described in great detail in one of the first posts on this thread. I just had one installed on my '05 G35 coupe. Two way remote pager - one of the few to be actually FCC approved. Goes off immediately, when the alarm warns or actually goes off. The LCD screen tells you which zones have been tampered with. Also have the remote start and pretty much every sensor you can possible get with it lol

Definitely need to adjust sensitivity, becasue even a light drizzle sets it off.

Total cost with installation was $900+.

Can read all about this alarm and options at www.directed.com.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you guys w/ alarms like carrying the two keyfobs w/ you? would be nice to have an integrated solution.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Z2G
i have to agree that compustar is probably the best alarm out there. their top of the line model with 2 way remote has a range of about a quarter mile or so. whereas, the other 2 way remote alarms (e.g. lower model compustar or viper/clifford 2 ways) have only a range of about a block or so. i was looking into putting an aftermarket alarm in my coupe but ended going with the motion sensor mod with the stock alarm since i don't have aftermarket rims or stereo system....no point.

but, i think the most important feature with any alarm is either a hoodlock control or battery back-up. i know ppl who used to steal cars and car stereos....they all just pop the hood and cut the wire to the battery. i had a honda passport with a kick-a$$ system when i was in school in philly. when i was at the movies one night (neshaminy mall), it got broken into but the would-be thieves couldn't do anything and just took off. i had constructed a hoodlock "system". so, they couldn't bypass the clifford alarm.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If the alarm is installed properly there is no need for two keyfobs, the aftermarket will eliminate the factory (but the factory will still work).

Viper alarms are really nice, and high quality, but lack a few features to make them the 'best.' Compustar has had a ton of reliability issues, from what I've read (they are not very installer friendly).

The best alarm won't do you much good if the installation isn't top notch, a lot of people forget that!

Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KPierson
If the alarm is installed properly there is no need for two keyfobs, the aftermarket will eliminate the factory (but the factory will still work).

Viper alarms are really nice, and high quality, but lack a few features to make them the 'best.' Compustar has had a ton of reliability issues, from what I've read (they are not very installer friendly).

The best alarm won't do you much good if the installation isn't top notch, a lot of people forget that!
Please explain how it would eliminate the need for the factory key fob w/ an intelligent key system.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize you had the intelligent key system. I'm sure there is a way to integrate it, you just have to be creative. They make the transponder bypass modules, which you may be able to use to mount the key in the vehicle and then activate the key as needed.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thats pretty much what they did when I got my Compustar installed......the oem alarm is "daisy chained" to the compustar. Basicly the aftermarket remote also triggers the oem alarm....... and when it goes of....it's LOUD as hell beacause it uses the siren, horn, and then there's the backup siren. The bypass module sits hidden inside the vehicle with 1 of your original transponder keys (all coupes and most sedans).......when you use remote start, that is the transponder signal that is used to start the vehicle, then when you get in the car...put in your key and step on the brake...it relays over to the key/transponder in the ignition. Thats for the transponder keys though........the new intelligent keys (05 sedan) I'm guessing something similar...relay/bypass module...but not completly sure.

Last edited by gizsf; 05-07-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Here's another vote for the Viper 791XV. I have this system, and absolutely love it.

For those that have one... If I buy an additional remote FOB, how do I program it to my alarm?

Old 05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by wnt1bd
The best of the Best is Compustar. They are a 2 way sytem that monitors your car , not just sounds a horn. You can remote start a manual tranny, and it's range is enormous. Very costly though. I going to be getting one soon, but another member on here is looking @ $650-$750 for alarm & install I believe.
I have the Compustar on my car, fully loaded. Does the windows, remote start, trunk, I have sensors on my headlights due to the theft of HIDs here in Miami. It is a GREAT alarm; I haven’t had ONE problem with it. It is costly but worth every penny IMO. I got the whole thing installed for about $400-$450 can’t recall exactly. But if you have any questions about it let me know. They are very few people who sell it, well in this area I had to contact Compustar to find an authorized dealer.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the VIPER 491 and I love it...

Old 05-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I love my Compustar. 6000ft 2 way pager with true remote start. I had them take off the "chain of events detection" remote start crap and just use the neutral saftey switch from the ECU. Either way, I've got nothing but love for that alarm.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
compustar.