Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Who makes the BEST Alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes the BEST Alarm?

Hey guys, new ride coming soon .. I want to get a nice, top notch alarm put in. From what I have heard they make them now with a lcd screen to show the zones on the car or something & can warn you if somebody is near the car. I want options like this and more ... Money is no problem .. so let me know your top pick.

I didn't use the search because I figure systems are always changing and getting better .. Don't want to buy a dated one .. Thanks in advance .......

Old 03-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
The top end stereo shop here in town sells CODE ALARM.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:27 AM
I've heard from friends that Clifford alarms are good.. I don't know if they're the best but they do have pagers. Viper alarm is another one but one of my friends told me they went bankrupt in NY?? Don't go by what he said, I'm just mentioning it.

I'm also going to get an alarm system for my new G when it comes.. so let me know what you choose and how it is!! Thanks.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys .. I had a older viper on another car .. worked ok .. I guess the pager is a must for me for one .... just want to know what else is out there and will also last for years to come ... must have remote start, and a pager. any other ideas guys ?

Old 03-18-2005, 04:47 AM
I have a friend who has the CLIFFORD alarm with pager. He loves it and ive seen it in action. He also has the autostart feature, something that im wanting. I went today an they quoted me around 400 for the alarm and install. I thought it was a bit much....

Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 AM
The best of the Best is Compustar. They are a 2 way sytem that monitors your car , not just sounds a horn. You can remote start a manual tranny, and it's range is enormous. Very costly though. I going to be getting one soon, but another member on here is looking @ $650-$750 for alarm & install I believe.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Does this Compustar place have a webpage? Searched google and got crap.

thanks.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:49 PM
www.compustar.org There is a guy in VA. who is having one installed next week for $650. Like I said pricey, but well worth the money.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Cool, thanks. I just need to find a dealer here. For what all you can get I don't think the price is that bad.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
compustar is the best I think, remember to get the newest model, 2WSSR, My friend's STI and my g35 both get done for $400 installed. hope will help!!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm I think Viper is a pretty decent setup.

The James Bond system on his Lotus is a little too harsh for our cars.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the Viper alarm on my wifes Durango. It has remot start and paging (shows little tire marks if it gets towed even). You can even set it to keep the car running if you need to get out really quick to go into tthe store or something like that. I just don't know how to adjust the sensitivity yet.

Later,

Ray

Old 04-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Clifford got bought out by Directed Electronics. They are most known for the Viper line of security which is a good system imo. Directed incidentally owns alot of the car audio industry now and they keep growing. They bought out companies like PPI, I think Orion, and numerous others.

The two way pager lcd system is nice...as long as you are fairly close to your car when the alarm goes off (usually within a mile). Otherwise it'll just happly tell you what zones went off when you get back.

Viper also makes systems that have GPS hookup that you can monitor the status of your car anywhere. Even pickup the phone and start your engine or track exactly where it is by computer. You can even set zones on the car so if it ever leaves a certain area it'll let you know (Great for parents with kids that you don't want taking your car on a joy ride).

These GPS style "lowjack" systems are the best if you are trying to prevent the car itself from being stolen. As for being broken into...the most you are going to get is a siren that'll hopefully scare them off before they take off with your goods. The triggers for your siren will be opening the door, shock sensor (and by shock it does have to be a shock...you could put your hand on most cars and rock it back and forth without setting off the alarm), audio "glass break" sensors, and they also have motion sensors. If you plan on going motion sensor plan on having plenty of false alarms and being hated by your neighbors as anything will set it off. Cats, people walking by, leaves falling in autumn, anything.

You could also try getting "safety film" which is like a clear tint you can put on your windows to prevent them from shattering...they'll hold together if somebody hits it and by then hopefully your siren will be going off and scare them away. After the inital hit though, it would be easy to just fold down the window and open the door. Still plenty of time to take whatever you have laying around.

Also to prevent the siren from being bypassed, you could get a backup battery/siren where a battery is part of the siren. Any attempt to cut power to the alarm or if the siren wire is cut it automatically sets off the siren and can only be turned off by a key.

As with any security system, it is more of a deterrent than anything. If you have something in your car that somebody wants...there is little you can do to prevent them from having it. If somebody wants your car itself, the sytems you can implement can make it very difficult...or can make it easy to catch them if they do.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Sound Advice
Clifford Avantguard

Old 04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
anyone know the range of this Clifford setup? as far as how far you can be for it to be effective? 400 doesnt sound all that bad for a high end alarm, autostart and lcd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who makes the BEST Alarm?