Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Those with DVD: Innovatek player vs. PS2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with DVD: Innovatek player vs. PS2?

Hey guys. I am gonna do the AV thing and am deciding between the Innovatek DVD player

http://www.webonlinestore.com/stuff_...d/dvd/FD-5.htm

or a playstation 2 (slim)

Any opinions?

A main feature I am looking for is the resume function. When I turn the car off and then back on again, I would like the movie to start where it left off. The Innovatek says it will. I don't know about the ps2.

They both have s-video, so thats a tie.

The ps2 slim will fit in the glove box and the innovatek, i assume, will not. I have no clue where to stick the innovatek besides the trunk (which i do not want).

The Innovatek comes with an extra infared eye which I can mount in the cabin. Does the ps2 have something similar or do I have to open the glovebox everytime I want to do something with the remote?

How does one power the ps2? Their manual says only 8.5 is required. Does this eliminate the need for a power inverter?

Any other issues you guys know about between these two such as ease of use?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Jason

Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is your car, there is nothing on the market as of now that will convert a clean signal for the NAV/DVD conversion on an 05, only 03's and 04's. (And yes I know most websites say 03+ G35, but as of now, we have proven that this is JUST an assumption for the 05 because no one has really tried it yet). My reccomendation is try getting one person with an 05 to say that they have done the AV or PAC conversion on thier 05 and that it works, and then do it then.

I would go with the Slim PS2, and I think it still requires the VAC...but I could be wrong unless the slim was meant to be mobile (do you have a link)?

Old 04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I have an 05 and have waited this long b/c of the uncertainty. PAC claims it will work on an 05 and iksardi (sp?) has confirmed several 05's owners have purchased it and hasn't received any complaints. The AV people state that it should work though they think its 4 wires now and not just 1. Again, thats all they know.

As for the slim ps2, the manual states DC 8.5 volts (instead of 120 volts AC from the regular playstation 2) but I don't know if that means I can eliminate the inverter. (http://www.us.playstation.com/consol...ecs_70000.html)

Also, I have the service manual for the 2005 audio/nav section. It's gibberish to me but if someone wants to interpret it, let me know

Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I have an 05 and have waited this long b/c of the uncertainty. PAC claims it will work on an 05 and iksardi (sp?) has confirmed several 05's owners have purchased it and hasn't received any complaints. The AV people state that it should work though they think its 4 wires now and not just 1. Again, thats all they know.

As for the slim ps2, the manual states DC 8.5 volts (instead of 120 volts AC from the regular playstation 2) but I don't know if that means I can eliminate the inverter. (http://www.us.playstation.com/consol...ecs_70000.html)

Also, I have the service manual for the 2005 audio/nav section. It's gibberish to me but if someone wants to interpret it, let me know

K, I can verify that the PAC unit DOES NOT work on 05's...find me one person who claims this....I'll laugh because PAC prooved this the other day, and are working on an updated unit. You can even ask Rudy from Sound advice (mission viejo) how his last PAC unit install went...he'll verfiy what I am saying. Its a rolling screen...itll display, but you wont enjoy it...I have tried the NAV-TV (www.nav-tv.com) module and the PAC unit in the past week in an attempt to find a solution, none yet. As far as AV Electronics...I don't know...haven't tried, but I'll assume same problem for now cause I am sick of rippin my console open.

The schematics aren't for the light hearted, you gotta have some knowledge of wiring/grounding/sheilding etc...basically you intersect the RGB and SYNC (4 total) wires by cutting them and ending up with 8 open wires, then both ends go the module (since the module has 8 wires (4 and 4). Just use the instructions with the unit, it tells you which end goes where. Then you have your power and ground and your done. For that you can tap into it from the harness (on ur 05 NAVI wiring schematics) or from behind the cigarette lighter below your head unit.

And the 05 glovebox is smaller than the 03/04, so I doubt that even the slim will fit in there, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
jeeeeez. These 05 changes are killin' me....

I guess I'll wait like everyone else....thanks for the heads up

Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
jeeeeez. These 05 changes are killin' me....

I guess I'll wait like everyone else....thanks for the heads up

We are all dying but hang in there because these problems for the 05 are JUST STARTING to hit the market as 05 people are now getting comfortable enough to hack thier systems...I think PAC is the first to recognize this and is currently working on the problem. I will keep you guys posted.

And yea...I have no idea a change was made to the LCD sync signal that would cause all these problems...but I'd say give it a month until companies just start to realize that thier esh dont work...and hopefully in that time, PAC will have something on the market.

But if you see "03 and up" on websites, don't FALL FOR IT!!!! These are only assumptions since it works for 03-04, but has not been verified!!!!

Gluck!

Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
look at the FD-7 its smaller. http://www.webonlinestore.com/stuff_...dvd/FD-7TV.htm
EDIT: nevermind, no S Video.

Last edited by sygma; 04-27-2005 at 08:34 AM.