Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace HU?

I just secured a G35x, getting it in 2 weeks, looking into upgrading the stereo. I'm not a big audio nut, listen mainly to hip hop and rock-don't need the best. I've been reading this forum in regards to the Clarion HU, some say its okay, others say that it has eq issues and you need to get rid of it. I don't want to lose steering wheel controls, pay $ for that detector that lets you keep the controls, or deal with that kind of installation. So how much upgrading is worth doing keeping the factory HU? I was looking on spending $1000-1600 Cd (about $800-1300 US)

I've read that rear speakers aren't needed in the coupe, but how about the sedan? I'd like to ditch them so I can use only one amp for components + sub.

Also, I want bass but not booming, just to match the speakers. Can I fit an 8" where the factory 'sub' is? I was looking at the JL 8W7. Or is the cabin too small for a sub inside?

If i got the JL 300/4 (i've heard it fits where the bose amp is- any other good amps fit?) with some focal components up front and bridging the 8" sub would that be a decent system? I liked the fact that this setup doesn't compromise trunk space too much, which would be nice.

Oh yeah for this kinda money should I look for better stuff used and get a friend to install it for free or buy cheaper stuff new and get pro install?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I know some of these questions have been discussed/addressed before I did my best to read previous stuff before i posted...

Tim

PS is there any links to Bose G35 stereo specs? the local car audio guys asked for it to help discuss upgrades, i checked the owners manual but there's not much in it.

Last edited by tdiddy23; 05-14-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the "x", she's a beauty (don't get many of the x's down in Miami) anyways, to answer your question:

I lived with my 5 channel Alpine amp using LOC's and an FM modulated 6cd mp3 changer for 9 months. I also swapped in my JL XR Components in the front, and some Eclipse coaxials in the rear. Was it doable? Sure, but the lack of customization and mp3 quality via fm sucked bad, so I decided to do the full "swap" HU, RCA's and even a dedicated mono sub amp for my 10W3v2 that I have in the 4080 box.

The issue comes whether you want to drop the coin for the Double DIN conversion. Your looking about 260-300 for the AC Controller and Finisher, however finding one will prove most difficult.

I would suggest you do it if you like the customization and tinkering with your sound, because the Clarion just doesn't give you that kinda customization, period.

Any route you go, I'm sure you will be happy!