Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound Advice Sub Stealth Box and Other Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Advice Sub Stealth Box and Other Upgrades

I just thought that I would share with the group my experience with Sound Advice's sub stealth box, and my recent audio upgrades. This past weekend, I went down to Sound Advice in Mission Viejo, CA to get some audio upgrades done to my G35 sedan [and my wife's Acura TL as well].

For the record, this is what I got done to my car: 1) JL Audio XR650-CSi component speakers up front, 2) JL Audio TR600-CXi coax speakers in rear doors, 3) SWI-X steering wheel control module, 4) some dynamat at the doors, 5) Sound Advice's sub stealth box w/ JL Audio 8W3v2 subwoofer. All of this was in addition to my Eclipse AVN 2454 HU, and a JL Audio 500/5 amp.

The JL Audio speakers were a change from a set of Boston Acoustics SL65 speakers. When listening to the new audio setup and subwoofer, I was amazed at how well the bass in music was filled out. My goal with the stealth sub was not to have boomy, annoying bass that would rattle my car, but to instead provide a more full audio listening experience. I must say that I feel this goal was fully achieved!

I am really kind of amazed at what such a small sub enclosure and driver can provide. For anyone out there that is looking for a similar audio experience, I would highly recommend that you at least take a look at this product. It is compact and hangs down from the rear deck, so you don't lose much trunk space at all. I believe it is something that Sound Advice developed on their own, so kudos to them.

As for the clarity of the JL Audio speakers, IMO, they sound much clearer and more "even" [i.e. not as bright] as the previous BA's were. This may also be a partial result of the dynamat install too. This was the first time I've used JL Audio speakers after previous experience with Boston Acoustics and MB Quart units. I would say that they are turning out just fine.

Overall, I believe my audio upgrade went very well, and I'm most impressed by the stealth sub box [especially since I didn't have to give up a corner of my trunk]. I'm not employed by Sound Advice, or affiliated with them in any way. I'm just trying to relay my recent experience.

Last edited by jstwong; 07-20-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a nice setup congrats. JL tweeters I feel aren't as bright as the MB Quarts or the Bostons.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Can you post pictures of your setup?

Old 07-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I haven't taken any pictures of the stealth sub box yet, but maybe this weekend I can get some pictures of that on-line. The amp is located where my spare tire was [since I have a BBK, the spare wouldn't work for me anyway]. The speakers are all located behind the standard grilles, so nothing there to show. Here are a couple of old pictures of my HU though...

Old 07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I went to the sound advice in Thousand Oaks (Topanga Cyn) and Mike said he would hook me up with six speakers (4 doors and 2 tweeters?) plus a 10 inch sub in the trunk with amp (Alpine) installed for $650. I have no idea if that is a good deal or not but with your solid experience maybe it was...

Old 07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey jstwong, you were there when I was getting my G coupe stereo installed, right? From Torrance? Anyways, my install was great also. I am going to eventually get some pics up too! I like your car a lot. Malibu G, I am not sure if the two Sound Advice's are affiliated, but SOUND ADVICE OF MISSION VIEJO IS THE SHIZZIT. Very reasonable prices and ALL of the people that work there are cool and helpful. Great install too! Anyone in LA area take your car there! Rudy, Josh, or Yasha all cool.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Allow me to second that emotion. Sound Advice in MV were very easy to work with, very competitive on price, and they know G's better than anybody. This is not an easy car to deal with; why anyone in SoCal would take their ride to somebody who doesn't do Gs all day long is beyond me.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Ooops... Good clarification, I went to Sound Advice in Mission Viejo. The guys down there really are great to work with. Rudy owns a G35 sedan himself, so he has personal knowledge about what is required. That is why SA developed their stealth sub box, because Rudy wanted one himself!

GameOverGagne, it was nice bumping into a fellow G35 owner from the South Bay. Good to hear that things finished out well for you, I know that they were staying late to get you finished off! Your coupe looked slick. Way to go...

Old 07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
yeah, I didn't leave until 8 but well worth it. I hung out there for almost 8hrs!

Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah, you were stuck there... My wife and I got there around 9:15 A.M. and I think we didn't get my car back until close to 6:30 P.M. At least though we had a car to go someplace during the day - hate to think if I had to have stayed at SA for that long of a period!

Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 PM
It actually wasn't that bad. Went to the sports bar next door and drank some beers. Then went back to SA to bull**** w/them for a while. They were all cool

Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Sound Advice
Thanks for the great post Jonathan, and thanks for all the kind words from everyone else. It was a pleasure working for you guys and look forward to helping you out with anything else in the future. Last few and up coming weekends have been massive G weekends. It seems all the Gs want to get stuff done all at once.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD THAT HAVE SHOWN SOUND ADVICE OF MISSION VIEJO SO MUCH SUPPORT OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. THERE IS NOT A BETTER CLASS OF CAR ENTHUSIASTS IN ALL OF SOCAL.

Rudy