Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which Speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
badtziscool: Even with tweeter down to -6 db still feel MB Quarts are on the bright side, but there is one thing you can do to subdue some of the brightness, put about 150 watts just to those tweeters.

Melissa: I just took a look at the Polk set online and they look like a good setup. Looks like they are using the same drivers from their pretty good LSi line of home speakers. These maybe a bit warmer than the Focals. I have suggestion that is a bit extreme but will sound good. I would forget about doing rear speakers. Just do the Focal or Polk comp. up front and use one JL 300/2 to run just the tweeters, then use another JL 300/2 to run just the midrange/midbass drivers. This setup will be great for sound quality. Oh by the way, what are you using for a source unit?

Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about those Infinity 6.1 Perfect

Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Dls Are Vunderbau! They Are Winning Awards All Over Europe...

Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by CLS2G35
badtziscool: Even with tweeter down to -6 db still feel MB Quarts are on the bright side, but there is one thing you can do to subdue some of the brightness, put about 150 watts just to those tweeters.

Melissa: I just took a look at the Polk set online and they look like a good setup. Looks like they are using the same drivers from their pretty good LSi line of home speakers. These maybe a bit warmer than the Focals. I have suggestion that is a bit extreme but will sound good. I would forget about doing rear speakers. Just do the Focal or Polk comp. up front and use one JL 300/2 to run just the tweeters, then use another JL 300/2 to run just the midrange/midbass drivers. This setup will be great for sound quality. Oh by the way, what are you using for a source unit?
I was planning on doing this (bi-amp) with a JL 300/4, but when I checked specs for the Focal tweeters that I want with the K2P series, it's an 8 ohm tweeter. However, JL's ratings are for 1.5-4 ohms. So does that mean I can still connect the 8 ohm tweeter to one of the 300/4 channels? I just won't get 75 watts right but less?

Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by GoSooners
I was planning on doing this (bi-amp) with a JL 300/4, but when I checked specs for the Focal tweeters that I want with the K2P series, it's an 8 ohm tweeter. However, JL's ratings are for 1.5-4 ohms. So does that mean I can still connect the 8 ohm tweeter to one of the 300/4 channels? I just won't get 75 watts right but less?
So what all do you have right now(speakers and amp wise) and I'll try to work out the best way to do the setup.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Right now, I have a JL Audio 500/1 with 2 10w3v2 subs. I used to have a 300/2 but sold it just 2 weeks ago because I was going to go with a 300/4 so I can biamp. I just plan on leaveing the rear OEM coaxes powered by the Bose amp. I'm running the OEM head unit. So basically, I'm looking for front speakers and amps to power them. I also have an Audiocontrol EQL. I was thinking of getting the DQX (digital EQ/crossover). Everything is still up in the air. So far, I like the Focal K2Ps, I think the sound is just right. Any recommendations?

Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Right now, I have a JL Audio 500/1 with 2 10w3v2 subs. I used to have a 300/2 but sold it just 2 weeks ago because I was going to go with a 300/4 so I can biamp. I just plan on leaveing the rear OEM coaxes powered by the Bose amp. I'm running the OEM head unit. So basically, I'm looking for front speakers and amps to power them. I also have an Audiocontrol EQL. I was thinking of getting the DQX (digital EQ/crossover). Everything is still up in the air. So far, I like the Focal K2Ps, I think the sound is just right. Any recommendations?
Give me some time on this I need to make sure that the componets are going to work together.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Eh, I'll throw out some good names to check out. Diamond Audio, CDT (both of which I have and like). Out of the two you listed, I would go with Focal. Just my opinion, though. BUT....it all has to do with what sounds good to you. BUT....a better speaker will last longer and maintain its quality longer. Alot of butts...lol BUT you get the point.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
if you want quart like clarity without the brightness, try a/d/s P series. If you want really warm/accurate (aka british sounding) try Dynaudio (that's my personal fave).

Dynaudio makes a 3 way setup that'd be a pain to put in on our cars... 6.5 low, 4" mid and a tweet. The sound can't be beat!

P

Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by peet
if you want quart like clarity without the brightness, try a/d/s P series. If you want really warm/accurate (aka british sounding) try Dynaudio (that's my personal fave).

Dynaudio makes a 3 way setup that'd be a pain to put in on our cars... 6.5 low, 4" mid and a tweet. The sound can't be beat!

P
Yeah I love a warm sound and I also love Dynaudio. My home 2 ch system has British Mini Monitors made by Spendor. Gotta love soft dome tweeters. My Spendors have soft dome Scan Speak tweeters.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
If you really want to do a Bi-amp system and you go with K2Ps, then you will need to do a 2 amp setup for the fronts. Let me give you some background first. If you went ahead and built a system with the K2Ps and the 300/4 and you Bi-amp then you will only be getting about 75watts per driver, not much different from using a single 300/2 for the fronts. To make a siginificant jump in power and SQ you would need to go to running a single 300/2 for the tweeters and running a 300/2 for the midrange/bass drivers. In this setup you would be running about 150 watts per driver. You will also want to check if the crossover on the K2ps have a Bi-ampable option, if they don't you will need to use the crossover on the JL 300/2 or some other sort of active crossover. If you have to go this route you may want to hire some pro help because a right crossover point is very critical. Hope this helps, if not PM me.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 PM
The Focal K2P series don't have biampable crossovers. Only Focal's Utopia line does. I was thinking of getting by with crossing over on my JL Audio amp until I can afford an Audiocontrol DQX

Old 07-28-2005, 08:48 AM
The Focal K2P series don't have biampable crossovers. Only Focal's Utopia line does. I was thinking of getting by with crossing over on my JL Audio amp until I can afford an Audiocontrol DQX
That will be a good way to go with it. Are you limited to JL audio amps?

Old 07-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey Melissa you might want to also check out Bostons, they also make a great speaker. The pro line

Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
you might also want to take a look at Boston's they also make a greay speaker, the pro line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Speakers?