Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose upgrade dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose upgrade dilemma

I am about to upgrade or change out my G's Bose system. My dilemma is whether to change out the amp and speakers and use the Bose head unit OR use my Kenwood 911dvd/tuner/tv/ navi/Sirius as the only unit, doing away with the use of the Bose. Currently I am running the Kenwood FM modulated thru the Bose. I am adding a JL 500/5 amp, JL components up front, JL coax's in the rear and a JL10w3v2 sub. The shop that is going to do the install suggests that I go with the Kenwood setup and by-pass all the Bose. Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated. I am supposed to take it in on Wed. 7/02. Thanks Guys.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Re: Bose upgrade dilemma

The bad thing about a new HU is that you lose all of your steering wheel controls. I'm about to replace the Bose speakers with MB Quart Q-series and an amp, but leave the HU.

Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM

How does your upgrade sound with the new speakers?

Old 07-08-2003, 10:04 PM

Don't know yet... I'm hoping to have them installed next monday. I'm waiting for all of the speakers and amp to arrive in the mail. I'll let you know after its done though.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 PM

i hope you are using some really good line out Convertes.

i am helping a guy that is going to use macintosh in his skyline(g35). ADR speakers and either precision power as an EQ or alpine's PXA-H700.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:33 PM

Snareman, how does your system sound running of the Bose HU? I am getting an install done this weekend, MB Quart PSD components and RF 4-channel amp. It is being done by a professional shop I have had alot of dealings with, so I expect they know the best way to handle Bose system upgrades. Just curious how yours turned out with leaving the stock Bose HU, because thats what I'm doing..

Regards
Nick

Old 07-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello: i did pretty much same thing, i had always thought that change the stock H.U. was last thing to do, but this time i was WRONG, too many problems cause it doesnt have RCA out, running from stock bose wasnt as good as i hoped, first of all, it fried the in-line hi-lo converter after two days cause they ran them after stock amp, make sure they bypass the stock amp and i loss lots of power thru the converter( they had to replace them with the cheap ones), and the sound wasnt what i hoped either, i think might due to the low volt output of the stock H.U. Do yourself a big favor, spend few hundren dollors add(not replace with) an aftermaket H.U. will save you lots of pain, i am going to add an H.U. soon, just haven't decide which one to get, since Nakamichi went out of car audio business months ago.

I am big fan of R.F. but i would lQQk else where for your QSD's as i recall that it dont have output leavel adjustment(or something to that effect) unless you are useing the XA4 or the XC4 those are sweet as ummmmmm...well you know...hehehe....those QSDs e pretty bright(mids and higts are titanium!!!) , hope you gonna add some bass too.

03.5 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

Old 07-29-2003, 01:02 AM

pic

79863-DSC00052 amp.JPG

Old 07-29-2003, 01:57 AM

pic2

Old 07-29-2003, 08:32 AM

Very Nice lineg35

I am finishing my installation for my coupe too...

Here is my setup

Front Amp: Soundstream RUBII 600-4
Front Speakers: Soundstream Exact 6.3 Front Componet
Rear Speakers: Soundstream SST 6.5 2-Way Speakers

Sub: Kicker 8" Solo-Baric 8L7 Loaded Box
Sub Amp: Kicker KX 800.2

I will probably eventually change the deck too.... but not right now.... I will take some photos tomorrow.... and I will probably get one of my friend to custom my trunk later on....

Old 07-29-2003, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Limeg35. It sounds like the Bose HU definitely causes some headaches. I called the shop that is doing my install and they said they have done a lot of Bose upgrades, and know the best ways to work around the stock Bose HU, so we'll see how it goes.

When you say "add, not replace" the Bose HU, how does that work? You add an aftermarket head unit, but where did you put it and still have functioning controls on your steering wheel, etc.

Regards
Nick

Old 07-29-2003, 08:00 PM

any have a pic of how the installed a aftermarket deck? i want the new alpine iva900 but i cant see how to install it without cutting a big hole into the stock location.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 AM

The steering wheel controls will not work with an aftermaket H.U. unless you can figure out which wire to where!, the ones that i see, they put the H.U. in the lil cubby hole on top of dash, it works out pretty well, since you can close it, and out of sight.

The problem with the G's bose H.U. is that, it tie in with the A/C controls, i think someone mentioned that they share the same board, just be very carefull, i have heard ppl having trouble after replace it, and A/C dont work, and why take the chance of that, beside you would have to cut the dash up too...s.w.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I don't yet know how mine sounds. I have all of the speakers installed, but they had to order the line lever converter. I'm going back up there monday for them to finish connecting it. The Bose HU does certainly cause some problems, but they seem to be working around it ok. The exhaust sounds nice, but its horrible not having a radio for 5 days. I went ahead and replaced the read side panel speakers while I was doing it as well. Otherwise they were just going to sit there disconnected. I figured as long as I was doing it I might as well go all the way. I can't wait to hear it all. I looked at the bose speakers after they took them out. I'm pretty sure they are paper. They pointed out to me that they have a rather small magnet. The Bose amp that they took out is pretty small as well, but the installer guy said it actually wasn't too bad for a Bose amp. The guys at the shop there agreed that Bose is way overrated.

Ivory Pearl/Graphite Coupe
Nav / Premium / Sport / Spoiler / MB Quart speakers