Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where did you mount switches in the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you mount switches in the G

Hey I was wondering where people are mounting switches in the G. Reason I'm asking is for the TVandNav2go DVD-navi conversion that requires a switch. I'm going to replace the one they gave with a nicer blue LED rocker and either mount in the ashtray or possibly to the Left of the Navi DVD rom unit in the upper glove box (if not blocked) or lower glove box (by the trunk switch) but those require more modification/drilling. Personally I want to keep the stock appearance so I don't want the switch out on the exterior console or dash.

Where you guys are putting switches at? Any pics would be great too. I'm sure this will help out others too.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a switch installed to trick my Pioneer Nav system into thinking the parking brake wire is connected. The switch is installed underneath the steering column. I didn't do the install myself, but I imagine that it would be a simple thing to install the switch in that area. For my purposes, it is nice to have the switch hidden from view.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
install it in your cig lighter ash tray (granted you dont use it). Now all your switches are right infront of you.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Yup thats what I used

Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I know on my 04 there is actually an unused switch panel( no switches just a pop-out for them). It is located a few inches under the vdc button and above the hood release. I'll try to get a picture with the double switch I'm using.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that's where I hide my secret NAAAAAAAAWWWWWWZZZZZZ button

Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by klwoods
Hey I was wondering where people are mounting switches in the G. Reason I'm asking is for the TVandNav2go DVD-navi conversion that requires a switch. I'm going to replace the one they gave with a nicer blue LED rocker and either mount in the ashtray or possibly to the Left of the Navi DVD rom unit in the upper glove box (if not blocked) or lower glove box (by the trunk switch) but those require more modification/drilling. Personally I want to keep the stock appearance so I don't want the switch out on the exterior console or dash.

Where you guys are putting switches at? Any pics would be great too. I'm sure this will help out others too.
You should be able to get by without using a switch at all if you are using the PAC Audio device for the audio. You can hook it up so when you select whichever audio input is for you DVD it automatically triggers the TVandNav2go. This is what I am planning to do. I haven't tried it yet but can't see why it wouldn't work. At the most you'd need a relay, but probably not.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shunra
You should be able to get by without using a switch at all if you are using the PAC Audio device for the audio. You can hook it up so when you select whichever audio input is for you DVD it automatically triggers the TVandNav2go. This is what I am planning to do. I haven't tried it yet but can't see why it wouldn't work. At the most you'd need a relay, but probably not.

Thats the best/coolest way. Having one button replace everything. But remember not all people are tech savy or know too much about switching devices/relays. But nonetheless, its the cleanest way.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by shunra
Yes I already thought of that...but the downfall is you cannot leave the dvd play while switching over to navigation. So if you're playing a DVD and want to check something on navi you have to stop the dvd (sound too) while using the navi. That would suck to have no sound (or be sacrificed to radio/cd and a pause in the DVD) while using navi. This becomes even worse if/when I get carputer playing MP3's.

I'll go with that mp3car.com switch plate...that is awsome! Thanks for sharing this.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
i used the cig lighter. when the cig ligher is out the external video works. when the cig lighter is in the nav system works. Cig lighter was not used for lighting anything. that way there are no extra switches.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I mounted a switch into the ashtray to switch between my Phatbox and SAT tuner. Closes up neatly.

-- Rob

Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Ok you ashtray guys talked me into it. I ordered some brushed aluminum to hopefully make a switch plate like that Amthar posted the link of (above). I liked that one alot, but it has too many holes for me, and the holes are wrong size...so I ordered a brushed aluminum sheet and I'm going to attempt to make my own custom version of it. I'll post pics once completed...and maybe offer to sell the left over aluminum sheet if someone else wants it.