Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Will aftermarket deck affect bose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will aftermarket deck affect bose?

So i've got this aftermarket deck that i want to put in.

but will it affect the BOSE system? The last time i did an install that had bose was about 5 years ago on my buddies, 3Z and i remember there being 4 wires for each speaker, plus the amps and crap. we just went ahead and replaced all 4. i wish i had tested the bose amps/speakers to see if they work

so if i install an aftermarket deck will i be able to power the amps still, or would i have to replace all the speakers?

thanks,
chris

Old 10-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, so that you know, there is only one amp. The amp is expecting a low voltage flat (non-EQed) signal via speaker wires. An aftermarket deck outputs low voltage non-EQed signals on its preamp (RCA) outputs.

You'll either need to get a harness to reduce the voltage on the deck's speaker outputs and try not to use any EQing in the HU, or you'll need to adapt the RCA pre-amp outs on the deck to speaker wires.

The speakers only connect using two wires each, however there are 8 speakers (in a coupe at least).

4 audio "input" wires connect from the HU to the stock Bose amp, LF+, LF-, RF+, RF-. Then there are 8 wires that are 8 audio "ouput" wires going from the amp to the 8 speakers (the front woofers and tweeters share an output wire from the amp, there is a splitter).

Old 10-17-2005, 11:11 PM
holy cow they changed alot since the 300zx days.... But i guess that's a little easier now that there is one amp controlling the whole system rather than having an amp for every speaker.

so basically i'm going to have to cut off the ends of the RCAs so that i can plug them into the amp? and where can i find this amp?

and damnit how come the dealerships didn't have any non premium package coupes. bose is such a pain in the ***. damn them! damn them all to hell!

Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I do not know for sure that if you convert the RCAs to speaker wires that this signal will work when put into the Bose amp. I do not know what voltage the Bose amp is expecting, or a whole lot of other things that I'm not even aware of that could f*** it up. All I know is that:

1. The bose amp takes speaker wire inputs
2. The bose amp expects a very low voltage input
3. The bose amp expects a flat (non-EQed) signal
4. The bose amp expects a balanced-differential signal (vs. single-ended)

There could be other things too. I know people have done what you are asking.. they have posted on this forum recently as well. Try and do a search to find it. I THINK they may have used a scosche (scoche?) adapter.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 AM
so let me get this straight. It's more of a pain in the *** to upgrade pieces of the Bose system than the whole thing?

Old 10-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hate to ask but why not just replace the BLOSE amp? Wouldn't that be easier and sound so much better? You are already replacing the HU might as well go all the way. As to your other delimma, I looked high and low to find a non-premium for so many reasons. One of which is that I was going to replace everything in terms of the Stereo anyways so that would be a waste if I had gotten the Premium.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 AM
yeah that's why i wanted to get a non premium. I was ready to do a complete overhaul on the system cuz i seriously have too many headaches trying to deal with bose.

i like that idea of replacing the bose amp though. i wonder if that would be a possible

Old 10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by BlazeMaster
so let me get this straight. It's more of a pain in the *** to upgrade pieces of the Bose system than the whole thing?
I don't know if it's more of a pain in the @ss or not, I'm just not familiar with how to replace just the HU and keep the rest.

I am familiar with a couple of ways to replace the Bose amp and Bose speakers and keep your stock HU.

And of course I'm familiar with how to rip the whole thing out and build a new system.

Just not sure how to do what you're asking, but I know it's possible.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:42 PM
The amp is expecting a low voltage flat (non-EQed) signal via speaker wires
I don't think that's actually true. The bose amp exists only in the premium sound cars. The head units are the same. The only difference is the speaker-level outs are routed to the Bose amp. I wouldn't be surprised if you can simply feed the Bose amp the speaker-level outs from an aftermarket deck. (No guarantees on that though, I haven't tried it).

This makes the Bose system easier to upgrade to aftermarket - all six sets of speaker wires are neatly routed to the trunk where you want them. Do a search through the DIY's and you'll find all the wire colors. Just replace the Bose amp. You can run aftermarket amp with Bose speakers just fine. I did it for a few months until I got the money together to finish off my install. It sounded better than the factory amp, although I was using an EQ which helps a lot. The G is honestly the easiest car I've worked with in terms of a car audio installation.

Last edited by djrobx; 10-24-2005 at 07:45 PM.