Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need an aftermarket headunit

Here is my current situtation.. a couple of months ago my left speaker went out when I listened to cds but was fine with the radio. Common g35 problem right? So I took it to the dealer and they replaced it for free. But upon reading so, I realized that they replace the headunits with refurbished ones instead of new ones. So guess what? It has been maybe 3 months max and the problem is back. It took the dealer about 2 weeks to order the headunit and about 4 hours for them to install it. It didn't cost me anything but gas and time, but unnecessary gas and time! Now the problem is back and i'm just sick of it. So I want to just get a new headunit and be done with it.

Here's my situation: I'm not much of an audio guy and do not know much when it comes to headunits, and all the works. I've been reading up on a lot of setups and it seems like the avic d1 or the avn headunits are the most popular. The thing is, I currently have the stock navi which I use all the time and I think adding another headunit that comes with navigation is a bit overkill and unnecessary. However, I really want a screen that has touch screen and all the good stuff... I just cannot justify spending over a grand for another navigation setup if you know what I mean. So my question is, what units are out there (preferably current) that offer similar functions of both the avic and the avn but without navigation? It doesn't even have to be these two brands they are only the ones i'm familiar with off the top of my head. I'm assuming that no navigation = significantly lower in cost... but if the units that do not have navigation are close in cost to the ones with nav then I might as well get nav. I'm not looking for a cheap way out of this. I want to do it the proper way but just not go all out and spend 2k for something like this (since the DD will cost near $400). Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems like most people with aftermarket headunits get it for the navigation because their car was not equipped with one. If I didn't have navigation to begin with, I would've chosen that path too. But what about the ones that get it for other reasons like my own? I'm also planning to get a speaker/sub/amp setup in the near future as well. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain myself as best as i can!

P.S. I am familiar with this thread https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/73220-facotry-navigation-audio-aftermarket-hu.html but I want to get more responses.. I also wanted to note that i'm not interested in the flip out type of screens and would much rather have a unit that takes up both dins. Looks like my options are only pionner or eclipse huh?

Last edited by imalazeeass; 11-01-2005 at 09:41 PM.