Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DLS UP6 vs. Dynaudio 240 GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DLS UP6 vs. Dynaudio 240 GT

Okay, I listened to both of these component speaker systems (also listened to Morel, Focal and many others). These two seem to standout in sound quality, at least to my liking (I know many of you reading this will probably disagree since everyone has their own taste).

I have two questions:

1. Would the Dynaudio 240 GT definitely fit in the door panel space of the 05 G35 sedan without having to cut/make a lot of modifications? It seems the magnets are huge!

2. The Dynaudio is definitely more expensive, by a lot. Listening to both the UP6 and 240 GT but unfortunately in two different stores and without the ability to do a side-by-side comparison, I can't hear a lot of difference. Maybe the UP6 is a little more bright, but still sounds great. So, is the Dynaudio worth the extra cost, or should I save my money and go with DLS (again, assuming I like the sound from both)?

As for Amp, I'm planning to get a JL Audio 450/4.
Thanks!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by netwireless
Okay, I listened to both of these component speaker systems (also listened to Morel, Focal and many others). These two seem to standout in sound quality, at least to my liking (I know many of you reading this will probably disagree since everyone has their own taste).

I have two questions:

1. Would the Dynaudio 240 GT definitely fit in the door panel space of the 05 G35 sedan without having to cut/make a lot of modifications? It seems the magnets are huge!

2. The Dynaudio is definitely more expensive, by a lot. Listening to both the UP6 and 240 GT but unfortunately in two different stores and without the ability to do a side-by-side comparison, I can't hear a lot of difference. Maybe the UP6 is a little more bright, but still sounds great. So, is the Dynaudio worth the extra cost, or should I save my money and go with DLS (again, assuming I like the sound from both)?

As for Amp, I'm planning to get a JL Audio 450/4.
Thanks!

Since we are a dealer for both, I'd like to take a shot at this question.

1) the System 240 GT would fit. The GT woofer is the same cone, magnet, and voice coil, but uses a stamped steel frame instead of the massive cast frame (it's really the frame struts, not the magnet, that are the issue). The non-GT woofer actually fits in almost no cars without massive mods - we use the GT version 80% of the time. I think that sonically they are indistinguishable in 99% of installations. I suspect that with hugely powered amps you could get some frame compression, but I don't know that for sure...

The limitation, as it often is, is the tweeter. I don't see how the MD100 tweeter is going to fit there. It doesn't fit in my car either, so I have UP6 components in my car - even though I believe that Dynaudio speakers are the best speakers we carry. They're just not the best that fit my car...

I don't think you could fit the DLS Iridium tweeter in there either.

2) I don't think you can go wrong with the UP6. I will tell you that before I spent the money on the Dynes, I'd get a better-sounding amp, because the differences between those two speaker sets aren't going to be as obvi with the JL. It's a solid well-built amp, but it's not an audiophile amp IMO. A Zapco, a Genesis Series III, a Tru Technologies, a DLS A series, an old Xtant (not current), an old PPI (ditto), or something like that would be a better sounding choice.

I beleive that the Dynes are worth the extra cost - when they fit, and when the rest of the system is up to snuff. But get the best that fits : )

Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
el_duderino, thank you so much for your response. This really answers my questions since I really don't want to make any real modifications to the door panels to install new speakers and want to keep the factory look as much as possible.

As for the amp suggestion, I would look at the amps you suggested. Don't know any dealers here in CA that carry Zapco and Genesis, but I can probably find DLS.

Thanks again.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 PM
CA is a big state (it's also my home state).

Where in Cali? I know a lot of people ; )

Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 AM
I must agree with el duderino on this one. When I threw the System 360 in my car it was like it all came to life. Dyn is definately worth the extra money IMO.

I must also agree with the choice of amps he listed, except he forgot Arc. Still a Zef design.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
el_duderino, Bay Area/San Jose. If you know any good/reasonable installers also, let me know.
Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
At the moment another forum member is working with Rick at Peter's Auto Radio on Lombard in the city. Check him out at Petersautoradio.com.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks. I'll check Petersautoradio out!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alpine 177r

Old 11-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by bkchang79
Alpine 177r
Wanna make that a sentence?

As in, "The Vifa-made Alpine 177R kit is the best speaker that Alpine has in their main line, and it sounds better than a lot of the MB Quart/Diamond/misc crap, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Dynaudio System 240"?

Just checking.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
We are also a dealer for Dyn and DLS. We already test fitted the System 240 MKII and had no problem with clearence in a '05 G35 Coupe. The GT basket will not have a problem as well. We are also a Aapco dealer so feel free to throw us any question you may have about speaker amp combinations either through direct e-mail or just call the shop. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

The JML Audio Staff

Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Wanna make that a sentence?

As in, "The Vifa-made Alpine 177R kit is the best speaker that Alpine has in their main line, and it sounds better than a lot of the MB Quart/Diamond/misc crap, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Dynaudio System 240"?

Just checking.
LMAO very well put. Beat me to the post as well, although I had a brain fart and couldnt recall whether Vifa or Scan..

Old 12-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I have a set of 240MKII's as well powered by PG Titanium 500.4's. Amps good enough in terms of sound quality? Any suggestions?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by jmlaudio
We are also a dealer for Dyn and DLS. We already test fitted the System 240 MKII and had no problem with clearence in a '05 G35 Coupe. The GT basket will not have a problem as well. We are also a Aapco dealer so feel free to throw us any question you may have about speaker amp combinations either through direct e-mail or just call the shop. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

The JML Audio Staff
Hey, at least pearlG35 and I add value.