Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New coupe ...DLS UP6 questions, please .....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New coupe ...DLS UP6 questions, please .....

Picked up my new coupe with prem. sound system recently.
being a lot older than most here I will not be going to radical w/ sound system ...... just content to change door speakers if otherhere agree that would e benefit. Been reading these threas for sometime and keep seeing the above mentioned speakers geting a lot of praises.
1st question is do most agree that changing to DLS UP6 is a good idea? Comments about these speakers would be appreciated.
2nd Q, is "DLS" the brand of speaker (Told you I was old, haha) ........? Where should I get them?
Finally, will I have to get some kind of kit to adapt them to "G's" doors or are they interchangeable?
REALLY appreciate any reply's and comments as well as sugestions of a better speaker if you feel this is not right one to use! Thanks.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigguy2000
Picked up my new coupe with prem. sound system recently.
being a lot older than most here I will not be going to radical w/ sound system ...... just content to change door speakers if otherhere agree that would e benefit. Been reading these threas for sometime and keep seeing the above mentioned speakers geting a lot of praises.
1st question is do most agree that changing to DLS UP6 is a good idea? Comments about these speakers would be appreciated.
2nd Q, is "DLS" the brand of speaker (Told you I was old, haha) ........? Where should I get them?
Finally, will I have to get some kind of kit to adapt them to "G's" doors or are they interchangeable?
REALLY appreciate any reply's and comments as well as sugestions of a better speaker if you feel this is not right one to use! Thanks.
Kool aid kool aid kool aid! ( that's more of a joke related to another thread.. nevermind, ignore that )

I love my DLS. Being as you are an old man , you will like them too, as they are not aggressive in their sound. They are very full and natural ( I like other things described this way too now that I think about it... hmmm... ) in their sound. Most noticeable difference for me between these and the premum bose system is the midbass and the overall clarity.

There are lots of brands that are excellent quality as well, it depends on your price point. DLS is excellent for the price point they are at (approx $350ish for the UP6 set). In other words, I'm not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread, but the UP6 component set is awesome considering. DLS the company is swedish and have been winning all sorts of awards. You'll want to find a local dealer who carries them or find several of the guys on this board who own shops and see if they will sell/ship you a set.

Yes, you (or your shop) will need to do some fabrication to get the woofer installed in the door. The mounting holes on the woofers are not even close to matching the mounting holes for the stock bose speakers in the door. The hole in the door is also too big. Generally speaking, people just use 3/4" MDF to make rings that are large enough to screw into the stock mounting holes, yet small enough in with inner cutout diameter for the woofers to screw in nicely.

I would stay away from Boston Acoustics and Focal, I have listened to both of those and were not impressed, they were very fatiguing to listen to... you will probably think so too ( seeing as how you are old )

Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can also try CDT's. i have them and love them. Very silky crisp sound from the tweeters as well as solid full range of sound from speakers.
cost is about the same price- if not a little less.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that they are 'very full and natural', I'm sure many old men will be interested.

As far as installation, Amthar has it straight on. A thread that actually still has working pic's gives you a better idea:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-squad/68178-installed-component-speakers.html
Make Amthar reveal his tweeter installation secrets..... And many have pointed out sealing between the speaker and door panel with some foam weatherstripping, certainly sounded like it made a difference.

I was impressed in the difference that the front speakers alone made in my '03.5 coupe, your problem will be resisting the Dark Side and being drawn in to the next improvement.....

Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CDT, CDT, CDT!!!!!!! Come join me, cult members!!! lol, J/K