Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

MY NEW stereo. Pics and description!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY NEW stereo. Pics and description! (not too expensive either!)

So, after asking many many questions on this forum, I finally had my audio system put in place.

Essentially I wanted to maintain the stock look, junk the Bose, add some bass, and get some decent clarity for a decent price. All while maintaining the stock appearance.

Here is all that was done:
1. Replace front 6.5s and tweeters with Diamond Audio 661 components
2. Unhook back and rear deck speakers
3. Install 4channel 600w amp(2 channels for front speakers, 2 for subs)
4. Get custom box to house two Diamond Audio 10in woofers

Since my main concern was sound quality on a budget, I did not opt for some rediculously nice install geared to show off the components of the entire system. I wanted to maintain the functionality and utility of my G35coupe as much as possible.

The 6.5s fit into the stock positions nicely. They had a little trouble mounting the DA tweeters in the stock position, but they made it happen.

The amp was installed on the back of the foldown seats and the box can be easily removed simply by unhooking one wire. This is in case I want to put a full suitcase in the trunk or take the weight of the box out when tracking the car on a roadcourse.

Not sure if you can tell from the pictures or not, but the box is so tightly snug in the trunk that the only way to get it out is to pull with some force. And it is so snug, in fact, that the trunk carpet slides with the box when the box is forced out. Basically they did an incredible job getting the box dimensions to be PERFECT.

Also note that I have enough space to throw in a set of golf clubs!

Anyway, the sound quality is VASTLY improved over the stock Bose system. All of the DA speakers sound fantastic.

Pics below.

Oh, and one more thing. Since I now have no rear speakers other than the subs, would it be advisable to put in some Diamond Audio 6x9s in the rear deck and have them run off of the stock Bose amp(how many watts is this anyway?)?

And if anyone is curious, the entire setup was a little shy of $1200, installed.

Attached Thumbnails MY NEW stereo.  Pics and description!-install1.jpg   MY NEW stereo.  Pics and description!-install2.jpg   MY NEW stereo.  Pics and description!-install3.jpg   MY NEW stereo.  Pics and description!-install4.jpg   MY NEW stereo.  Pics and description!-install5.jpg  

Last edited by ScapGF; 11-16-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No pics?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
No pics?
They are up now!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:31 PM
congrads on your system...looks good

Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Rollin On Dubz
I'm sure it sounds awesome, how much does that speaker box weigh?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by my_Gthang
congrads on your system...looks good
Thanks! The installer was very professional and the work looks great!

Originally Posted by MikeyMike
I'm sure it sounds awesome, how much does that speaker box weigh?
Honestly I have no clue! But it is so snug in the trunk that I haven't felt like taking it out and putting it back in yet

Old 11-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Where did you get your sub box from and how much? Looks nice!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by kennyq45
Where did you get your sub box from and how much? Looks nice!
The installer, Auto Restyling Center, Inc., in Ft. Worth, Tx built the box for me at a cost of $180.

I opted for this kind of setup over the 4080 box for a few reasons:

1. With the 4080 box I couldn't quite fit my golfclubs in the back. I took measurements and it was just too close.

2. This box is easily removeable and can be put away if I need the trunk to haul some stuff.

3. This box has just enough space for two 10in subs(2 is better than one, right? ), provided that you opt for subs that don't require much cubic airspace.

Last edited by ScapGF; 11-16-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Where did the installer put the crossovers for the front components? I just bought DA 661s components myself.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by silvernole12
Where did the installer put the crossovers for the front components? I just bought DA 661s components myself.
I didn't ask, but I assume he got it in the door somewhere. Good choice on the 661s, I am extremely pleased with their sound quality

Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I just got my sedan back today from the installer....DA661s comps in front,D661 Coax in rear doors,took out Bose sub,4080 box with DA M610D4,D3600.1 amp for the sub and D3400.4 for the door speakers. I kept the OEM HU due to money constraints. I had dynamat installed in all 4 doors and the trunk lid. He also used an LC6 to integrate the amps. It sounds fantastic! The difference between this and the bose system is fantastic! I'll try to get pics tomorrow(really not much to see but the trunk anyway!) The DA661s have a incredible sound(at least to me) and seem to put out a lot of midbass too.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by officerp
I just got my sedan back today from the installer....DA661s comps in front,D661 Coax in rear doors,took out Bose sub,4080 box with DA M610D4,D3600.1 amp for the sub and D3400.4 for the door speakers. I kept the OEM HU due to money constraints. I had dynamat installed in all 4 doors and the trunk lid. He also used an LC6 to integrate the amps. It sounds fantastic! The difference between this and the bose system is fantastic! I'll try to get pics tomorrow(really not much to see but the trunk anyway!) The DA661s have a incredible sound(at least to me) and seem to put out a lot of midbass too.
Cool deal. Quick question though, and this goes for everyone...

I noticed that at max volume(31), the mids and highs are no louder, decible wise, than before the changes were made. Is this normal?
Keep in mind I did ditch the rear speakers and 6x9 speakers.

Should I possibly add some DA 6x9s with bass blockers to help boost the mid/high volume levels? Or is there something else I can do?

Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
yeah...you can get the double din kit and get a decent head unit....that is the only way that you will get some decent sound...

Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Sundeviljay
yeah...you can get the double din kit and get a decent head unit....that is the only way that you will get some decent sound...
And by 'sound' do you mean 'volume?'

Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by ScapGF
Cool deal. Quick question though, and this goes for everyone...

I noticed that at max volume(31), the mids and highs are no louder, decible wise, than before the changes were made. Is this normal?
Keep in mind I did ditch the rear speakers and 6x9 speakers.

Should I possibly add some DA 6x9s with bass blockers to help boost the mid/high volume levels? Or is there something else I can do?
I haven't gone past 25 or 26 yet. I've got a nasty cold so I'm probably not hearing the way I should anyway.I have noticed that the sound really doesn't "come alive" until about 19 or 20. Make sure the speakers in your door have the tightest seal possible to get the best midbass response.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MY NEW stereo. Pics and description!