Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

tvandnav2go plug and play completed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tvandnav2go plug and play completed

I just finished the install on the plug and play tvandnav2go mod. It worked awesome. The Install was pretty easy and there was no cutting of any NAV wires. I only had to spice for power/ground.

I did the PAC install at the same time and hooked it up so that the tvandnav2go box automatically shows the DVD output when SAT1 is selected. I also retained the bypass switch on the tvandnav2go box so that I can put the unit into bypass manually if I need to. This way I don’t have flip any switches to get the nav screen to show the DVD, just push the Sat button and the video automatically switches on, yet at the flick of a switch the car goes back to stock operation

Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Awesome. Sounds like a great setup. Did you do the install youself? Was it fairly straight forward and easy?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by netwireless
Awesome. Sounds like a great setup. Did you do the install youself? Was it fairly straight forward and easy?
Yeah I did it myself. The install itself was real straight forward. The hardest part is getting the dash apart to get at all the connectors on the back of the head unit.

The picture quality is great. Well worth it in the end.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey that's great! I have my kit sitting here on my table, getting ready to do the same install next week. Can you explain how you wired the switch to use the SAT switch and an external switch to select the video. Or post a wire diagram of just what you did with the switches? I have been contemplating on what I want to do, and decided i'm definitely going with an external switch to allow me to go back to the navi screen.
Thanks and glad to hear you're happy with it...i'm pumped to get mine in!

Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where does the tvandnav2go unit plug in at? Which plugs does it use? Does it plug into the back of the navigation DVD player or the stereo unit itselft?

Old 11-18-2005, 04:19 AM
yea i have the same thing. To bad the switch it came with sucks. Im going to replace that.

By the way, where are you going to put your DVD player?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I posted a pic of the switch I bought, and the complete plan I'm going to do. Try a search for more info. But, i'm going to use a blue LED switch in the ashtray, and plan to put the dvd player in the lower glove box. I'm doing the install in ~6 days, and will be posting some DIY pics so look for them next weekend

Old 11-18-2005, 01:30 PM
jmX
Are there any pics of what the tvnav2go package actually contains? The mfg website seemed really poor and was blasting me with music, so I bailed outta there pretty quick. Is it just a video switch box so you can change between nav and an auxilary input (Such as a dvd player)? Is it an IR switch or wired?

...and yeah, i've read a few posts about it before, but none of them were very clear on exactly what functionality it provides and how it does so.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by klwoods
Hey that's great! I have my kit sitting here on my table, getting ready to do the same install next week. Can you explain how you wired the switch to use the SAT switch and an external switch to select the video. Or post a wire diagram of just what you did with the switches? I have been contemplating on what I want to do, and decided i'm definitely going with an external switch to allow me to go back to the navi screen.
Thanks and glad to hear you're happy with it...i'm pumped to get mine in!
The PAC unit comes with a wire that supplies ground when the SAT button is selected. Not sure which color but the PAC directions should tell you. Hook that wire to one side of a 12V relay and +12V to the other. Then whenever you select SAT the relay should trigger. Now splice into the two wires that go to the bypass switch on the TvandNav2go box and hook them up to the switched side of the relay (as well as the switch). Then basically you have two bypass switches. One that is triggered by the Sat button and one that is triggered manually.

The relay you buy needs to be a "normally closed" relay. Most relays have both "normally closed" and "normally open" terminals, just make sure yours does.

The only problem I ran into was that the PAC unit seemed to get confused and got stuck on SAT1 when I hooked it up to the relay. This was probably due to the inductive load characteristics of the relay. Easily fixed though.....I just put a diode accross the +12v and the PAC trigger wire (side with the line goes to +12) and the problem completely disappeared. You can buy relays with the diodes already in place. If you could get a 12V normally closed relay with a diode already in place the install would be a bit easier.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by dave
Where does the tvandnav2go unit plug in at? Which plugs does it use? Does it plug into the back of the navigation DVD player or the stereo unit itselft?
Back of the stereo unit.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Shunra.. where did u tap for the 12v+? .. I have mine hooked up to Cig lighter both - and + .. and i see fine Lines in the display.. Are you seeing any lines what so ever???

Thanks

Old 11-18-2005, 02:33 PM
well i already installed my dvd player the glove box. If you need anyhelp just go ahead and ask me.

I did that install myself. For more pics of it just go to threads that i started and find the thread that says "MY NAV PLAYS DVDs"

Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your thread was called "My NAV plays Music Videos" lol.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else see these fine lines from the modules? I have had a few customers complain that during the day you can see it but at night its not so apparent. I explained that there is nothing I can do since everything was earthed and grounded properly and that its the modules converting/filtering characteristics. Anyone?

By the way, if you guys charge your phone in your car, you will notice that the lines get crazier!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by g35driver05
Shunra.. where did u tap for the 12v+? .. I have mine hooked up to Cig lighter both - and + .. and i see fine Lines in the display.. Are you seeing any lines what so ever???

Thanks
Yeah I tapped into the passenger side cig lighter for both power and ground. I only was able to try it out for a few minutes in the dark last night, but didn't notice any lines. Let me have a better look both at night and in the day and I will let you know.

Are you using an inverter with a 120V DVD player or a 12V DVD player?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tvandnav2go plug and play completed