Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What's the best speaker upgrade to be power by OEM HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichK
Infinity has a line of 2 Ohm speakers that are a direct replacemtn for our Bose equipped cars. Both sedan and coupe. These speakers will not affect volume level since they are 2 ohm. I'd give you an opinion on sound, but I'm still waiting on the 30 pairs I ordered to arrive.
RickK, what model are the 2 ohm Infinity? I'll be waiting for your opinion once you have them.

I'm not in a hurry anyway, but hope I hear it before I suddently have a change of heart and trade my G in for the Porsche Cayenne S I been lurking for, haha.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just reread my post. I should have made it more clear that I was specifically referencing a 4ohm speaker to a 2 ohm speaker given the same voltage.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 AM
infinity kappas

Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
I just reread my post. I should have made it more clear that I was specifically referencing a 4ohm speaker to a 2 ohm speaker given the same voltage.
No problem, I had it the first time.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m500, the front speaker replacement would be Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 6.5" component set. The rears should be the Infinity Kappa 62.7i 6.5" coax. Hope this helps. Once I have them installed, I will give an honest opinion. I know I changed tweeters in my 03 Maxima and it made a world of difference. IMO, the Bose system lacks high frequency response. I have found that it is not the radio or amp that sounds like crap, but the speakers. In a previous car I had (it was our shops demo vehicle) I had about 1400 watts and a Sony XES system, so I know what good sound is. I just don't want to fill up the trunk on my G to acheive it.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned
m500, the front speaker replacement would be Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 6.5" component set. The rears should be the Infinity Kappa 62.7i 6.5" coax. Hope this helps. Once I have them installed, I will give an honest opinion. I know I changed tweeters in my 03 Maxima and it made a world of difference. IMO, the Bose system lacks high frequency response. I have found that it is not the radio or amp that sounds like crap, but the speakers. In a previous car I had (it was our shops demo vehicle) I had about 1400 watts and a Sony XES system, so I know what good sound is. I just don't want to fill up the trunk on my G to acheive it.
RichK - any update on this...? I looked at these speakers [Infinity] and they are very close to the BOSE speaker specifications, which is good - interested to see if there is an improvement for these are not cheep. Are you going to replace the Subwoofer...? Finding a 2-ohm rated 8" subwoofer w/lower wattage rating is not easy.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, not only that, but you need a free-air sub which is not easy to find either. Personally I would stay far, far away from replacing the stock sub in the STOCK location. All you are going to do is create a rattle trap.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Well, not only that, but you need a free-air sub which is not easy to find either. Personally I would stay far, far away from replacing the stock sub in the STOCK location. All you are going to do is create a rattle trap.
My thoughts as well. If indeed replacing the door speakers and A-pillar tweaters makes a noticable [and favorable] difference, leaving the stock SUB in place should suffice. Besides, replacing the back sub looks like a pain-in-the-crack, and considering that your still running off the factory amp, how much more Bass are you really going to get anyhow...? In this instance, you'd have to replace the amp of your going to replace the sub.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are tracking the 30+ pairs of speakers at the moment. As soon as they arrive, they are going in my car. I will post a full review on what differences, good or bad, that I encounter. I have many pairs of these speakers pre-sold to local G and Z people in my area. I will also do a complete how-to for those interested in DIY.
As far as the sub goes, I am leaving that be for now. IMO, the sub has plenty of bass for normal listening. It is the lack of high frequency reponse and detail that I am looking to improve upon. I'll keep everyone posted. I may also do a group buy on these speakers if enough people are interested. We are an authorized Infinity dealer as well.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned
We are tracking the 30+ pairs of speakers at the moment. As soon as they arrive, they are going in my car. I will post a full review on what differences, good or bad, that I encounter. I have many pairs of these speakers pre-sold to local G and Z people in my area. I will also do a complete how-to for those interested in DIY.
As far as the sub goes, I am leaving that be for now. IMO, the sub has plenty of bass for normal listening. It is the lack of high frequency reponse and detail that I am looking to improve upon. I'll keep everyone posted. I may also do a group buy on these speakers if enough people are interested. We are an authorized Infinity dealer as well.
Cool - looking forward to it.

Again, just based on the specifications of the Infinity speakers, these should be an excellent direct replacement. The biggest problem that I see is that most people do not understand the role of impedance w/the speakers and amp/head unit. You can have a $10.00 speaker that is correctly matched, sound better than a $100.00 speaker that is not, simply because of impedance miss-match.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I have no idea how the wiring on the G looks like, or how many amps are powering how many speakers at that, but technically speaking, if you run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, you should be running 2 ohms, no? So technically, you can get the speakers to work, but is it just that they won't get as much power to them?

Last edited by dofu; 11-24-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
I have no idea how the wiring on the G looks like, or how many amps are powering how many speakers at that, but technically speaking, if you run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, you should be running 2 ohms, no? So technically, you can get the speakers to work, but is it just that they won't get as much power to them?
Correct - as long as the speaker is a DVC, you can wire the speaker in parallel to obtain a 2-ohm load. Problem w/that is this not the 'native' ohm load of the speaker. Getting a speaker that is designed as a 2-ohm speaker and also has a RMS input that closely matches the replacement speaker is your best bet. This makes for a seamless transformation when using stock components. In this case, the Infinity's that we are discussing here does just that.

There are others here that I'm sure that can iderate on this topic more.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Thanks... a few more questions... is it the head unit, the amp, or both running 2 ohms that we have to worry about? And also, what size is the woofer in the rear in the middle?
RichK - do you know of any replacements for that?
I'm gonna start searching now, but answers would be appreciated... thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
Thanks... a few more questions... is it the head unit, the amp, or both running 2 ohms that we have to worry about? And also, what size is the woofer in the rear in the middle?
RichK - do you know of any replacements for that?
I'm gonna start searching now, but answers would be appreciated... thanks in advance.
The head unit is Clarion and is a flat signal - the BOSE Amp is where your getting the impedence/power rating/Junk active EQ from. You can go to http://www.bose.com and under automotive systems, search for your make/model - there is a .PDF spec sheet concerning the installed BOSE system for Infiniti. To answer your question, this system consists of:

- 8" rear deck
- 6 1/2" in all doors
- 1" tweeter in the mirror housing

I would hope as I'm sure most would agree here, that Inifiniti either upgrades this system found in the M35/45 [14 speaker DTS/DD BOSE 7.1 system] or the ladder, which woud be my preference, go w/another manufacturer all together.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:53 AM
The 8" sub actually has a built in amplifier. It is not powered off of the "Bose amp". Bose spends most of their R&D finding ways to use the cheapest materials to create the biggest yield. I hate them. So, if you were to replace the rear sub, you would also need an aftermarket amp for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best speaker upgrade to be power by OEM HU?