Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What's the best speaker upgrade to be power by OEM HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khsonic03
The 8" sub actually has a built in amplifier. It is not powered off of the "Bose amp". Bose spends most of their R&D finding ways to use the cheapest materials to create the biggest yield. I hate them. So, if you were to replace the rear sub, you would also need an aftermarket amp for it.
Correct - should have stated "...BOSE amp(s)"

Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did 2 cars so far. One was a 350Z and the other is a G35 Sedan. Both cars are Bose cars. The speaker swap went well and the end result was amazing. The factory Bose system never sounded better in both cars. There is more detail. High and mids are more defined. The boominess is gone. I highly recomend the Infinity Kappas to all who wish to keep their Bose system intact. All the speakers went behind factory grills.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by RichK
I did 2 cars so far. One was a 350Z and the other is a G35 Sedan. Both cars are Bose cars. The speaker swap went well and the end result was amazing. The factory Bose system never sounded better in both cars. There is more detail. High and mids are more defined. The boominess is gone. I highly recomend the Infinity Kappas to all who wish to keep their Bose system intact. All the speakers went behind factory grills.
Great to here - and I suspect that since these are rated @ 2 Ohm, that the volume leves are intact as well. Did you go w/the component setup for the front, and if so and if you have them, can you post some pics of the tweeter replacement that you did...? Replacing the door speakers is a no-brainer, but I've yet to figure out the best course-of-action as far as mounting the tweeters the best way. I'm also considering not going w/components up front but instead going w/co-axial's in all doors since the woofer is the same as the components. This way there is no external crossover to mount as I understand it, but this may be a bit overly bright setup considering I'll be replacing the tweeters as well.

Again, glad to here that these are worth the cost/time

Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update. Are you still planning on doing a DIY on this?? I just ordered these speakers for my 03 G35 coupe. Can't wait to get them in.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:05 PM
After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna ask the Infinity Kappas for X-mas! I'd like to see the DIY on this as well!

Old 12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I went with all Infinity Kappa's (components in the front, 6.5 in the rear and 6x9 in the rear deck) in my coupe and added an Infinity basslink in the trunk. I used the stock Bose amp and it sounds great.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I am doing another sedan this Wednesday. I will take pictures of the tweeter mount. The Infinity tweeters come with a "spider mount" which can be trimmed to fit a number of applications. ALso, you are correct. THese speakers have a 2 Ohm impedance and you lose no volume at all. For the money and time involved, I would definitely recomend these speakers for those not interested in tearing the entire Bose system out. I almost forgot, the coax version also has an external crossover. It is a bit smaller, but you still need to mount it. I will take pictures of the mounting of the crossovers as well.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Derzigster
I went with all Infinity Kappa's (components in the front, 6.5 in the rear and 6x9 in the rear deck) in my coupe and added an Infinity basslink in the trunk. I used the stock Bose amp and it sounds great.
I did the same exact thing except I changed the amp and used the audiocontrol eqs to shape the sound. The difference in sound is remarkable.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by autopainter
I did the same exact thing except I changed the amp and used the audiocontrol eqs to shape the sound. The difference in sound is remarkable.
How hard was it to install components ? I've never installed components before, only simple speaker swaps. I'm used to buying car speakers from Crutchfield mainly because they supply everything for an easy installation.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 PM
It was quite easy, went right into the stock locations, just had to find the best place for the external crossover.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by autopainter
It was quite easy, went right into the stock locations, just had to find the best place for the external crossover.
in the coupe, there is a nice flat spot on the inner sheetmetal just forward of where the door release is, it's only about 3" from the tweeter and maybe 7" from the woofer and the big crossovers that came with my Polk db6500 components fit just fine there... 2 sheet metal screws and some dynamat to prevent vibration and it was all good (just be mindful of the window which is sitting right behind)

Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I replaced all my speakers with Infinity Kappa 3ways and an Orion 10in sub. sounds awsome. i dont remember the specs on the s amps i used but the difference in sound is amazing!

Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I am doing another sedan this Wednesday. I will take pictures of the tweeter mount. The Infinity tweeters come with a "spider mount" which can be trimmed to fit a number of applications. ALso, you are correct. THese speakers have a 2 Ohm impedance and you lose no volume at all. For the money and time involved, I would definitely recomend these speakers for those not interested in tearing the entire Bose system out. I almost forgot, the coax version also has an external crossover. It is a bit smaller, but you still need to mount it. I will take pictures of the mounting of the crossovers as well.
When you've done a coupe or two i'd love to hear your opinion of the difference here as well. I'd expect similar impovement, but sometimes cabin shape/volume factor in.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 AM
The coupe system is very similar to the sedan system. With the one exception that the coupe uses 2 subs in the rear deck. The front are identical to the sedan and I am pretty sure the rears are too. The only difference is that in the coupe, you need to remove the side panels to access the rear speakers. The doors are the same, just longer in the coupe. I would almost guarantee that the sound improvements will be identical. The Bose speakers sound "dead and lifeless". The Infinitys "open up" the sound. The difference needs to be heard.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:01 PM
nt2
Rick, I have been following this thread and I have a cople of questions:
1) Is the 6x9 Bose woofer in the coupe adequate?
2) If I replace the door speakers, should I replace the back panel speakers as well?
3) Will it be better if I also replace the 6x9 woofer with Infinity Kappas
4) Given that you ordered a whole bunh of these for resale, what would your price be for a set?

Thanks and keep up the good work

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best speaker upgrade to be power by OEM HU?