Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Does the Bose stereo problem still exist in 2006 models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I've had at least two cars with Bose stereo's and the verdict has always been the same... crappy sound system. My first Bose car was a 95 300zx. Now 10 yrs later you'd expect they would have caught on by now, but nada. My 05 suffers from the same poor audio quality all of my other Bose equipped cars.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by amthar
I dunno about all that... considering you have the exact same speakers in your non-bose G as a bose G would have. In the end, it's still coming out the crappy speakers. The "nice" thing about the Bose system is that they EQ their output to "enhance" these crappy paper POS. I guess if you didn't like the sound, that's one thing. But as far as quality in a system, I'd still have to give the ribbon to Bose over a non-bose stock G system.
Well I have built many 1000-5000 watt car stereos. And I will tell you straight up the non-bose sounds better period. It has better clarity than the bose does. It doesn't have the muffle sound too it. It has better highs and mids. It also hits with the bass just fine as well without the muffle noise.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Please note that the EQ is in the Bose AMP, not the HU (Clarion). I have tested the output of the Clarion using a RTE and it is FLAT. I had already removed the Bose AMP at that point, so did not test that.

In reality the only difference between the stock and non-stock is the presence of the amp. (well and the sub for the sedan or 6x9 for the coupe, which can add unwanted boominess)

Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Well I have built many 1000-5000 watt car stereos
Nice. Too bad that doesn't mean anything.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by amthar
Nice. Too bad that doesn't mean anything.
Actually it means a lot. My ears are tuned better.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a JL Audio "CleanSweep" in current daily driver which is a 2003 BMW 525i but I will be removing it and I was planning on putting it on my 2005 G3c 6MT as soon as I got it. I was not sure if I should because I heard people saying it wouldnt change anything since the "EQ" was already flat and the problem is in the Bose amp......So my question is would the JL Audio "Cleen Sweep" help with the bose system?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:40 PM
yes only if you are adding an external amp but it is over kill. Basically it will be used for a line driver for the stock HU and it has a second input for your ipod or your whatever. If you were hoping it would EQ the Blose set up, nope!

Mark
PS I have one

Last edited by opimax; 11-21-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RichK
I posted this elsewhere, but Infinity makes both a 6.5" component and a 6.5" coax that are direct bolt ins for Bose equipped cars. The speakers even have a 2 ohm impedance so that volume level will not be affected like it is when adding 4 ohm speakers to a Bose system.
I was unaware that infiniti made such speakers w/a 2 Ohm rating. You have some model #'s...? But even if you change the speakers, it does not remove the crap auto EQ problem, which is really the heart of the matter here.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Replacing BOSE amp?

Looks like the cheapest solution to get the best sound from the STOCK BOSE system will be just change out the AMP with a decent 4 channel amp. If this is the case then I don't even need to change my speaker then

Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
The EQ is in the Bose amp. If you replace it with an after market amp you will have a flat signal to work with from the HU. The Cleansweep will flatten the response of the Bose amp but only at one volume setting. As soon as you change the HU volume you've lost your flat signal. I think the Cleansweep has some gain/volume level control.

Bose is living off the rep they made 15 years ago. They are an okay consumer brand but nowhere near the high end stuff you can get.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
I was unaware that infiniti made such speakers w/a 2 Ohm rating. You have some model #'s...? But even if you change the speakers, it does not remove the crap auto EQ problem, which is really the heart of the matter here.
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA60.7CS'&Ser=KAP&Cat=COS

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA50.7CS'&Ser=KAP&Cat=COS

Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by dBubis
I have a JL Audio "CleanSweep" in current daily driver which is a 2003 BMW 525i but I will be removing it and I was planning on putting it on my 2005 G3c 6MT as soon as I got it. I was not sure if I should because I heard people saying it wouldnt change anything since the "EQ" was already flat and the problem is in the Bose amp......So my question is would the JL Audio "Cleen Sweep" help with the bose system?
other than increasing the voltage on the inputs to an amp, the CS is not necessary in our cars As you said, the EQ curve is added at the amp, not the HU, so picking up the HU output before the Bose amp gives you a flat input into an aftermarket system.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by GeeMan
The EQ is in the Bose amp. If you replace it with an after market amp you will have a flat signal to work with from the HU. The Cleansweep will flatten the response of the Bose amp but only at one volume setting. As soon as you change the HU volume you've lost your flat signal. I think the Cleansweep has some gain/volume level control.

Bose is living off the rep they made 15 years ago. They are an okay consumer brand but nowhere near the high end stuff you can get.
from my understanding, increasing the OEM volume will not make you lose your CS flattened signal. the only way this will occur is if you push your OEM volume up to the levels that we are aware causes a change in the OEM EQ (25+ish?). Otherwise it's simply amping it, not changing the curve.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by m500
Looks like the cheapest solution to get the best sound from the STOCK BOSE system will be just change out the AMP with a decent 4 channel amp. If this is the case then I don't even need to change my speaker then
from my understanding the front and rear speakers are different ohms, which makes getting an inexpensive 4 channel amp capable of different ohms on different channels very difficult. Beyond that, you will need an amp that accepted differential-balanced inputs, or get a LOC that adapts this signal to a standard single-ended signal.

I'm warning you, your happiness with your sound system sans stock bose amp and plus an aftermarket amp will be very low. I ran my car like this for about 2 weeks and it was the worst experience of my life. But, this is just my opinion, and apparently people with "better tuned ears" (that's one hell of an equalizer ) hear otherwise.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
yepp. BOSE SUCKS!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the Bose stereo problem still exist in 2006 models?