Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install an amp for sub on NON-Bose HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install an amp for sub on NON-Bose HU

Ok I have done tons of searching on this (hours and hours) and everything seems to pertain to the Bose headunit and wiring an amp by tapping into the stock amplifier in the trunk. Since I have a non-bose headunit where is the best place to wire a LOC (or do I even need one) in order to power an amp and sub. Should I just tap into the rear 6X9's for my signal. From my research some people seem to say this works fine while others say the quality isn't good at all. All help would be appreciated!!! Also I will run a mtx amp and sub (since I already have them!) are the mtx amps a good idea, i know there are some issues with certain amps and the signal output on our G's!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm new at audio for the G also, but after searching for hours like you, asking around, and talking to a local shop, I have discovered that there is an outboard stock amp on the non-bose system in my 05. Where it is exactly has yet to be determined. I am guessing it's behind the HU area. But when I add aftermarket amps to my stock HU, I will definitely want to bypass the stock amp. Evidently, the amp is what adds all the equalization and sound artifacts. The HU is supposedly free of the tonal artifacts.

You will need an LOC unless the MTX amp you will use has Balanced inputs. Some amps have em and others don't. If yours doesn't then you need an LOC. But since you just want to add a sub, the easiest way may be to just tap into the rear speakers with an LOC and add an amp. Mine doesn't have deck 6x9's though. Maybe your year does.

I'm sure the experts here will chime in with any corrections and suggestions as needed. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Amp and loc

I have the 05 G as well (non-bose), I just assumed we had the 6X9's in the rear, if we don't then should I just wire a LOC into a rear 6.5 " speaker when I change those out?

Old 12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two questions that need to be answered.

1. Where is the stock amp (like you are already wondering) and
2. What distortion and/or EQing does the stock amp perform?

By tapping a LOC into the wires feeding a speaker (Rear 6x9 or otherwise), you are picking up an amplified signal that was processed by the stock amp. This often times is not a good thing, especially with the Bose system (as it does heavy EQing, roll-off at higher volume levels, and some sort of bizzare distortion when balancing & fading to extremes).

If the stock amp does not noticeably distort, EQ or otherwise alter the signal going to the stock speaker location(s), then tapping at a speaker would probably work fine.

If the stock amp does anything like it's Bose brother, you will want to tap before the amp or look into getting a JL CleanSweep (which I recommend against)....

but I'm no expert

Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
G SQUAD
Do it yourself... it's fun to rip apart your car. That way, you know how to and are able to fix any issues yourself. From reading this, I would completely shy away from that Audio installer. For the price you paid, you can already get a fairly decent system without any hiss....

Tap the signal before the amp... thus getting a clean signal straight from the Head Unit. Tapping it after the amp just clutters up the signal... Bose/NoBose.

Amp is in the trunk, to the left. Remove 3 screws around plastic casing next to spare. Look up diagram to find L/R signal... Hook up to amp.

I like JL's as well.. you don't need LOC... Tap that signal, and connect to amp... Make sure you GROUND the GND-wire to a good spot. When you take your back seats out... you'll find some nice chunks of metal to connect to.

Wire power to amps... Make GOOD GROUND contact!! Having a bad ground is the source to a lot of people's problems.

Hook up speakers... as you choose to replace.

simple...? No, but a lot of fun...

Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
After searching, it appears that with a non-Bose system, it's best to take the signal right out of the back of the head unit to run to an amp(s). I have no experience with the non-Bose units. Is there really an external amp on the non-Bose head units or is it built into the head unit? If it is external, where is it? I know it's not in the Bose amp location.

I will be assisting a friend with his non-Bose install soon. Help me learn so I can help others.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
bumping.. i am thinkign about adding an LOC to a non bose. is there a wiring diagram avaliable? i have searched for days and i couldn't find one for a non bose sys

Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey Badboy-

Crutchfield has the wiring diagram:

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1