Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JL 500.1 / 300.4 (car jerks upon shifting in AT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JL 500.1 / 300.4 (car jerks upon shifting in AT)

i have an 04 AT Coupe... and when i listen to my music pretty loud, especially on songs with a lot of heavy bass. My car would jerk while upshifting or downshifting... this is annoying because i can't enjoy my music, however at idle, its fine... only while driving upon shifting does it jerk, is there a way to fix this? and also will this be bad on the car?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NEED MORE INFO! What else is installed on the car? First thing I would think you don't have is a capacitor.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
NEED MORE INFO! What else is installed on the car? First thing I would think you don't have is a capacitor.
So freaking what? I've NEVER heard of needing a capacitor so your tranny works right...

Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Dude, chill out. He asked a question, I asked for more info.

Now, since you don't have anything to help him, I at least am trying. If he plays his music loud and hard, he is drawing alot of current from his alternator and thus his whole car electrical system. Also, that he has an Auto, this can be especially true. He never said anything about his tranny (nor did I). Where did you come up with tranny?

OK, just trying to help here...how about YOU?

Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 AM
i have an auto tranny, thus the AT in the thread title, i don't have anything else in the car besides those 2 amps, and a jl 10w7 sub, alpine headunit, and boston components up front, and no rear stage at all...

Old 12-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, considering the tranny is computer controlled,. the large current draw may be messing with the tranny's systems. I would make sure the tranny has a good solid ground directly to the battery for starters, if the tranny is sharing the body as a ground path, the current flow from the return of the amps may be impeading the ground of the tranny.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
ok, how would i ground the tranny directly to the battery? i have no idea on how to do this, so any input would be appreciated...

Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He never said anything about his tranny (nor did I). Where did you come up with tranny?
uh...

upshifting and downshifting = transmission usage

Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would think it may have something to do with the ground on the tranny, most likely between 1st and 2nd & 2nd and 3rd.. I did notice a difference on my 5at also after adding my 500/1, but I also now have the 10 wire ground kit....after that the shifts were faster and alot smoother. You may want to go that route or just make a few ground wires yourself at least. Tranny directly to the battery and maybe the tcu also. Figure the amount of juice your pushing back through your ground after running the amps, hu, accesories compared to what the car normally pushes!

Last edited by gizsf; 12-12-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by gizsf
I would think it may have something to do with the ground on the tranny, most likely between 1st and 2nd & 2nd and 3rd.. I did notice a difference on my 5at also after adding my 500/1, but I also now have the 10 wire ground kit....after that the shifts were faster and alot smoother. You may want to go that route or just make a few ground wires yourself at least. Tranny directly to the battery and maybe the tcu also. Figure the amount of juice your pushing back through your ground after running the amps, hu, accesories compared to what the car normally pushes!
ok, you said you got a 10 wire ground kit? how many amps are you running? just one or 2? and now that you have the grounding kit, you dont experience those jerkiness when the car shifts? if so i may go that route, how much does a groudning kit cost and how difficult is it to install one? please list your setup so i can compare it to mine... thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
uh...

upshifting and downshifting = transmission usage
I just said I never mentioned the Tranny, didn't mean nothing was wrong with the tranny. I was just trying to isolate the problem before getting to the tranny part. Start at the beginning of the link first and work downstream

OH, and by the look of things, I say get a small 1 farad cap. Looks like the current draw may have an impact on your car. Since the Tranny (there, I said it ) is controlled by the ECU, I'm sure from what you described getting the cap and some betting grounding will solve your problems

Last edited by mephistomyhero; 12-12-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, chill out. He asked a question, I asked for more info.

Now, since you don't have anything to help him, I at least am trying. If he plays his music loud and hard, he is drawing alot of current from his alternator and thus his whole car electrical system. Also, that he has an Auto, this can be especially true. He never said anything about his tranny (nor did I). Where did you come up with tranny?

OK, just trying to help here...how about YOU?
Sorry, I overrreacted, I just hate caps. They get recommended for so much...

Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Rollin On Dubz
I have a Cap on my 500/1 hooked up to my 12 JL W7...

I know exactly what you're talking about, when I bump really loud the tranny jerks a little bit here and there. But not too much.

I always knew deep down it might have something to do with the grounding, but it didn't occur that much (Tranny Jerking) for me to do something about it.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
I have a Cap on my 500/1 hooked up to my 12 JL W7...

I know exactly what you're talking about, when I bump really loud the tranny jerks a little bit here and there. But not too much.

I always knew deep down it might have something to do with the grounding, but it didn't occur that much (Tranny Jerking) for me to do something about it.
Your best bet on grounding is to actually run a grounding cable directly to your battery for the Amps. Although, I'm not sure if this will solve the problems 100 %. I know from past experience that alternators in cars were not meant to power big amps and things like this will/can happen. I''ll be facing the same delima when I install my amps. I have three big amps and am totally worried too although I have a 6MT and hopefully it won't be much of an issue.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground, Deep Cycle Battery, Cap

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JL 500.1 / 300.4 (car jerks upon shifting in AT)