Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

IPOD Connections and feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 03:09 PM
|
IPOD Connections and feedback

Ok after searching through I have not been able to decide which way to connect and IPOD. Will it have a better sound through a dock or through the mini plug on the top? Seems like the dock uses and mini plug for the audio too so I am wondering what the difference would be if any? I am connecting it to a 2003 G Bose HU without SAT. So I will be using the soundgate.

Not sure if it is even worth the Icelink adapter besides the fact that it charges and keeps steering wheel functions or did I miss something?

Anyone one just have the soundgate and is able to use the radio and or steering wheel control for the IPOD? Seems like it should since it would control a changer?

Trying to get things in order so that I can get moving on this. Any help would be appreciated. Any feedback from people that already hook it via soundgate would be appreciated also.

Old 12-22-2005 | 03:25 AM
I went with the PAS NIS and the Blitzsave interface. The Blitzsave has a dock connector at one end and L/R rca's (that plug into the PAC-NIS) on the other. The dock connector provides line out as well as power to the ipod. It connects to both a switched and unswitched +12 and will continue to charge the ipod for 20 min after the ignition is turned off. The Blitzsave is connected to SAT-A (of the PAC) while I have an RCA-mini cable attached to SAT-B. I have attached 2 ipods (one via the Bliztsave, the other via the headphone out) and performed A/B comparisons. Using the headphone oit, I found that it was far too easy to overdrive the audio. The dock connector resides in the center cubby. I use an iJet rf remote on the ipod so I can control the ipod while keeping in hidden in the cubby.
To wrap up, the dock connector does not need a mini plug. The iPod dock has a mini plug that is a line out but I do not need/use one. Of course, without the sat input (for the PAC) this may all be moot. Will the soundgate give you an input?

Old 12-22-2005 | 11:40 AM
I have the same set-up: Pac AAI-NIS & Blitzsafe Universal Ipod Interface. The only problem I encountered was a defective Blitzsafe which I had exchanged for another. Besides that, everything sounds great. It will sound excellent once I replace all the speakers in my car.

Old 12-22-2005 | 08:51 PM
|
Soundgate will give me an input to the Stock HU. So I guess the bottom connector sounds better since you don't have mess with the volume? But it all seems to bridge into and RCA output from the dock correct?

Old 12-22-2005 | 09:23 PM
RCA is a connector type, not a signal type.

The output from the headphone jack is different from the line out from the bottom connector. It's an impedance thing as well.

If you use the headphone jack, it has a ground in it. If you use a cig adapter you have a ground in it. They are different, so you will have a ground loop and then that means engine RPM-associated whine.

The Icelink AUX has a preamp in it and isolated charging so it prevents noise that way. You still need the PAC.

Old 12-25-2005 | 02:06 PM
So what's the best connection available for an Ipod? Using a Pac AAI-NIS and a Icelink? Gonna install a Eclipse AVN5434 in the next few weeks and I want to hook up my ipod to it.