Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Navi: Has this ever happened to you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Navi mishaps

Recently, my friend bought a new construction house on a new street, so the navigation system didn't have the house number information. And actually I was dissapointed cause it didn't lead me to the street, but told me I have arrived at my destination two street turns short. I was confused and went to far, then came back where it told me is my destination where I started zooming in on the map and I was able to find it, but still had to make a right and then a left turn to end up on the street I have put in. Oh well, I would have never gotten there without it in a first place so I'm still happy.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 300zx2G35
Instead of just hitting enter once you've entered the street, hit list to tell the Nav to list all possible streets. it will give you a list of all the same streets but different towns in parenthases beside the street name. Thats what ive had to do a few times just so that I can get the right street. its annoying i know but youve just gotta learn to live with it.
I use my Navi quite often and that's the same routine you mentioned everytime I use it. I hit the List button, scrolled down to the correct address, even made sure it had the Blvd. part at the end of the street.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
Well, when you ended up at your "destination" (per the NAVI), what did the actual street sign read? Is it possible that you chose a different town accidentally?
the actual sign read everything correct. The Navi was correct at getting me there, BUT the only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't show the Zip Codes anywhere.

Like i mentioned earlier, in L.A. we have mostly 2 different locations, with the same address but the only thing that is different is the Zip Code, and even then the zip code might only change 1 number.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
+1

If you're trying to get to a mortuary in L.A but the directions given are heading down to O.C., you best double check. You should have a Thomas Guide in ryde just in case. Hope the funeral wasn't for a close family member, if so, my codolence to you and yours.
yea man, i Wasn't too sure where in the heck it was before. The address i had said City: Los Angeles. L.A is pretty damn huge, the destination it gave me was towards the West of L.A (its still l.a.). my actual destination(mortuary) was in Downtown L.A.

and the funeral was for one my client's Husband. 75yrs old. thanks for the condolence

Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
Recently, my friend bought a new construction house on a new street, so the navigation system didn't have the house number information. And actually I was dissapointed cause it didn't lead me to the street, but told me I have arrived at my destination two street turns short.
get used to this on Staten Island... it happens alot. because alot of streets and neighborhoods are being built around here the navi disc gets out of date real fast

like others have said, when i enter an address first i do state, then city, then type the street and finally number (fill in EVERYTHING)....

then, instead of clicking OK immediately, i click MAP on the right side, so it shows you a map of your entered destination. you can zoom it out and pan around to make sure you're heading in the right direction. also, once you start route guidance you can click ROUTE and then click ROUTE INFO... this will show you a complete overview and turn list of the route you've entered

Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 PM
jcd
When I've been in a hurry, I've entered Court instead of Circle. I've started entering the destination by phone number...works like a charm.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
like others have said, when i enter an address first i do state, then city, then type the street and finally number (fill in EVERYTHING)....

then, instead of clicking OK immediately, i click MAP on the right side, so it shows you a map of your entered destination. you can zoom it out and pan around to make sure you're heading in the right direction. also, once you start route guidance you can click ROUTE and then click ROUTE INFO... this will show you a complete overview and turn list of the route you've entered
ok, but what about you don't know where the destination is in the first place??

like i've been saying before, Los Angeles has addresses with the same address only thing different is the zip codes and one address can be on the oppsite side of L.A from the other.

that's why the Navi or the disc failed me. yes, it took me to the correct destination I entered but since our Navi's don't ask or show Zip Codes, it can definately take you to the wrong place if you've never been there before. and in this case, i never knew or ever been to that mortuary.

I just hope the newer G35's dont have this same issue, because this is one of the things i'll be looking at my next purchase in 3 yrs.