Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my AVN5435... help me plan my future components (full system plan) HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my AVN5435... help me plan my future components (full system plan) HELP

Short and sweet is difficult for me to do... but i'll try

I ordered my avn5435 to start my system off. I want to plan the rest of my system out and know very VERY little about car audio. I am letting a local shop install my eclipse and the rest of my system, but dont want to consult with them about my components because i just never trust a salesmen to give me advice that is in MY best interest and not his. I dont want to skimp out on anything on this system and end up with a half-a$$ed system that sounds mediocre.

I want to replace whatever speakers will improve sound quality. The little ive read sounds like rear speakers arent as important and if i DO replace them, i shouldnt spend as much on rears as i do on my front speakers.... Here are my "plans" and they may just sound stupid because the components wont be compatible or something... but thats why i'm here asking for your help.

What speakers should i get in front/rear/tweeters whatever... Seems like a lot of people go with Kappas.. but which ones... im so overwhelmed by this project i dont even know where to start. You can tell by my headunit that im not trying to compromise too much quality for money.

What amount of power/channels do i need from an amp? It seems like JL is the choice most people go with.... it would be best to get seperate amps for my speakers and sub right?

The sub situation is something i think im a little bit more set on and just want to check out what everyone thinks about it since i dont know ANYTHING

JL 500/1 amp
JL 10w6
4080 box

any help, advice, or just general information that i should know would be appreciated

Old 01-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Place to start is with your budget. Decide on an amount that you will feel comfortable spending.

Then ask your install shop for a quote for front component install, amp install, 2-amp install, and then you know about what your component range will be. (Subtract your double-DIN parts as well). Also ask how much they will charge you for wire and cable (if you are a total noob to car audio, I wouldn't try to figure it out by yourself until you become more confident...)

A very good system can consist of front midrange and tweeter components and a single subwoofer. Such a system doesn't require two amps - you can run such a system very well with one amp. Function of budget.

Something else I recommend before buying a hi-fi car stereo is to go listen to a REAL high-end 2-speaker or three-speaker home stereo. Go to a high end shop and ask to listen to a good two-speaker setup, or one with a sub. Get a reference for stereo that isn't your iPod headphones, or a mini shelf system, or your PC speakers. If you use a crappy reference for comparison, you will fall for sensation over fidelity.

Live music is the best reference there is.

I am on record of being a big fan of the DLS UP6. The tweeter fits in the sedan's tight tweeter location (you don't state which you have, sedan or coupe), the 6" mdwoofer has a 2' voice coil motor and a neo hybrid magnet so it fits easily, and the overall sound is superb. DLS makes better speakers, but the tweeter won't fit in the OEM location without a lot of fab (also true for many other high end speakers). That kit retails for $400, and outperforms the Infinity speakers comfortably.

I have done a number of cars with a DLS UP6/MW110 10" woofer combo, with various amps. The Iridium 10 is also a great woofer and has been used in IASCA champion cars - it just costs around $400 MSRP. Without a budget neighborhood, I don't want to make a whole system recommendation.

I like your deck, but I would use a sub level **** mounted up front because the sub level out of thatt deck only has four level settings and I want more and easier control than that.

The JL amps work fine for that. You could run the UP6/MW110 combo with a 300/4 if you wanted to. They are well built and reliable, and their front end allows easy OEM HU integration (which doesn't matter to you because you ditched the OEM HU).

Better sounding amps include Zapco, DLS, audison, Arc, and some expensive ones like Tru Technology. These amps will not liven up poor speakers, but their attributes can be heard with the right HU and speaker setup - and you have a VERY good sounding HU. DLS makes an amp that is 75 x 2 and 400 x 1 nominal in their A series line. It's like a $750 amp MSRP.

Cheaper amps that aren't better sounding, but are no worse, include elemental designs. These don't have the balanced inputs, but with an aftermarket HU that's not a deal.

Amps that probably sound worse include Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, Kenwood, Directed, the current Phoenix Gold line, and Hifonics. These are not crap, but are sonically not as good.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
straight to the bank...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raznips: I don't know much but I've heard people like the kappa's because they're 2ohm and can be direct replacements for the bose speakers (and they sound great). But if you're changing out the amp as it is you might want to consider 4ohm speakers like MB Quarts/Diamond Audio and others like el_duderino suggested....

getting a little off-topic, and this might be a stupid question...but if I'm going to replace all 6 speakers (compenents,coaxials, and 6x9's) i'll need two amps right...? ie one 100w x 4 and one 100w x 2 for whatever type of speaker (2 ohm or 4 ohm)

Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 PM
No, there are many 5-channel and 6-channel amps out there. 4-channel and a mono or stereo-brdiged-to-mono is the most straightforward, though.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
straight to the bank...
so there are 6 channel amps capable of pumping out 100 watts to each channel...? any suggestions?

Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino

Something else I recommend before buying a hi-fi car stereo is to go listen to a REAL high-end 2-speaker or three-speaker home stereo. Go to a high end shop and ask to listen to a good two-speaker setup, or one with a sub. Get a reference for stereo that isn't your iPod headphones, or a mini shelf system, or your PC speakers. If you use a crappy reference for comparison, you will fall for sensation over fidelity.

Live music is the best reference there is.

thank you for your post el duderino it was very informative... i would like to add that i am a big computer nerd. I started building computers when i was in 4th grade and am now Cisco CCNA cert... so i have heard the best of the best sound cards with $500 speaker/sub suround systems... and my personal preference for listening to music is a set of sennheiser HD595's on my computer... so i know what good audio quality is. I want to hear the best QUALITY sound system ive ever heard in my car.... maybe not the loudest or hardest hitting... but SQL is WAY more important to me.

as for the budget question... I really cant answer that. If i can replace my speakers/tweeters and put in a JL amp... and then a few months later put in my sub and amp for that and have a badass system and be done... i dont care if it cost $2k.

The shop that i'm going to is installing my double din and AVN5435 for $100 and its a good quality shop that i feel comfortable with.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 AM
BTW, those sennheisers on a good headphone amp will sound way better than the sound card

I want a set of Stax

Headphones can be great for detail but don't create that good a front stage effect - more side to side. Speakers do a better front stage job.

Coupe or sedan?

How much is a 4080 box going for?

Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 AM
I would listen to each speaker and decide what sounds best. I am biased though because I think has some of the best equipment out. From amps to speakers. I have the 5435 in my QX4 w/ the Bose system and it sounds great. I want to do a full system but in about two years I will be going with either a Gcoupe, a Z with another runner so I want to save for that system. I have had Alpine and Pioneer premier, Pioneer sounds better to me than Alpine (type X components)

Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 AM
That was supposed to say----"eclipse has some of the best equipment-----

Old 01-05-2006, 05:05 AM
What brand does your installtion shop carries? you would really have to listen to them, you ask for suggestions here? you might end up with 170 different ones with everyone saying their own choice are the best but I do think listening to them in actual car environments are more important than on store's shelf or demo board(on axis/off axis?), so I would go to different shops and ask to listen to what speakers shop's installer might have in their own cars.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
This stuff is largely a matter of opinion. I like kicker or fosgate amps because they understate their wattage unlike most who overstate. They also have great warranties and aren't too pricey. I like Image Dynamics subs. Speakers I don't honestly know enough about, just my two bits. Great choice on the HU, we r in the same boat.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Listening to speakers in a board unfortunately tells you almost nothing about how they sound in a car.

Speakers at ear level, pointing at you, perform far differently than speakers at 80 degrees off axis and at ankle level.

I find that many people can't find a high-end shop in their area. This is sad, but apparently true. One thing we do for all our customers if give a 30-day exchange or return policy for sound - just to make sure that it sounds the way you want it to, and minimize any risks.

We're building a small demo board for the high end speakers in our new store, at low door level, to try to duplicate the position in a car.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
duderino where is your shop(s)?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Portland OR

Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
i have a g35 coupe, and i cant even hear speakers in a shop in those rooms.. i inherited horrible hearing from my father and with all that background noise i cant tell anything... plus as someone said, heraing something in a large open room isnt the same as a car. i'm not going to just listen to what everyone says here and go buy those speakers today... this is just where i am starting my research on components.... I just want to know what other people have used and been happy with in a g35 because i have a good chance of liking that same setup... im not saying that just because someone on this board doesnt mention a setup doesnt mean that it isnt any good, but its not like i'll miss it if i get something different that i still like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my AVN5435... help me plan my future components (full system plan) HELP