Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Where are you guys grounding you trunk amps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, awesome info. Thank You!

Yes, Im curious also how you mounted the wood the the seat back.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry guys........didn't see your responses (didn't get the auto email notification)

I used 2 hardwood slats........can't remember the material or the exact size, but it was a relatively thin piece (guessing 1/4 x 1 inch wide) ought to do it......don't use pine as it may be too soft and split or stip when you attach the screws.........when you remove the rear seat, the slats can slide behind the carpet. Measure the length of the slat you want, cut it then feed it behind the carpet.....this can be a little tricky to get it straight, but take your time and get it right. The screws used to mount the amp will hold the slats in place. After installing the slats, I drilled pilot holes and used self tapping screws (short! drywall screws, don't want the screws to poke into the seat). The "hard" part is lining it up with the holes for your amp after you drill the pilot holes (hard to see the drilled holes in the carpet, you can use a piece of tape to help locate the holes)......its not that big a deal, just measure twice and drill ur holes once

Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
So the hardboard between the slats and amp is enough to hold the amp in place? I guess it does distribute the weight. I ended up removing the two center clips off of the back of the hardboard. Then I super glued two bolts to the brackets that the clips used to go into. The bolts point away from the seat into the trunk. I then bolted a piece of wood to those bolts and mounted my amp to that. The problem now is that the amp sticks out too far. I might go back an use the method you used. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, as far as lining up the slats and amp go. You could use a piece of string and wrap it around the panel. Line the string up to the mounting tabs on your amp. Then you'd have a pretty good estimate of where to place the slats.