Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006 | 03:06 AM
|
Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!

I had my AVIC-D1 recently installed but I didn't like the way it was mounted... The wiring looks and works great.

I have taken it out in hopes to try to mount it like BlackonBlackG35's setup... True flushed.

I am going to sand the trim piece myself but I am just stuck on how to mount the damn thing. The shop used the factory holes (well only three on each side) but the unit was set in TOO far back and crooked. They didn't use the sleeve that the unit came with. They just bolted it to the Factory bracket. Has anyone installed the AVIC-D1 on an 05??? Did you use the sleeve?

Old 01-15-2006 | 06:50 PM
Have you looked at the new 05 double din stuff Grubs' selling:
http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...e=G35SedanDash

This was posted on the G35Sedan forum.

Old 01-15-2006 | 07:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
You don't need the sleeve.
I have done this as well, you have to use the OEM bracket;
but you need to make new holes.

Do all your filing & sanding on the trim,
then test fit with the bracket mounted to the dash finisher.
Then mark & drill new holes.
There's a bit of trial & error to get it right, but well worth it in the long run.

Old 01-15-2006 | 11:38 PM
I'm in the same boat, been reading all the threads.
Yup, I'm starting to sand it down. Really wanna take my time w/ this. Look forward to the results.

Old 01-16-2006 | 01:06 PM
|
i figured it out yesterday and already did it that way. Thanks for the responses anyways.

First I tried to drill holes first then I figured out that the trim needed to be sanded first. I did that. That was a PITA and a half. I got it as close to perfect as possible, still not perfect but close enough for me. I had to take put it all back together and take it apart SO many times trying to get it aligned properly. I drilled SO many holes. I made a paper guide to drill the holes but I STILL drilled them incorrectly so I just elongated most of them and drilled then bigger. Finally got it done. Took me about 5 hours just to sand, drill, re-assemble and assemble about 10 times then finally I put it all back together. I was in a rush because I had dinner reservations so I basically took my time in the beginning and rushed towards the end. All in all, I like the set-up now... and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I was a little nervous about the actual unit sliding out of place since I elongated the holes... like if I hit some rough bumps on the road or a pothole. If that happens I will just buy a new bracket and match up the correct holes from my current bracket then drill again. I don't want to spend the extra cash if it's not necessary so I will leave it as it is and see what happens. I did have to use new bolts since the short bolts will not work with the new holes. I used 4 "10x32x1/2" flat machined screws with 4 washers. They screws can stick out because there is plenty of room. I only used 2 screws on each side. Using 3 was impossible and I didn't feel like drilling any more holes.

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!-picture-002.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!-picture-003.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!-picture-004.jpg  

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 01-16-2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: ADDED PICS...
Old 01-16-2006 | 01:34 PM
Congrats on the install.
Thanks for the bolt specs I'll need to pick a couple up

Old 01-16-2006 | 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
i figured it out yesterday and already did it that way. Thanks for the responses anyways.

First I tried to drill holes first then I figured out that the trim needed to be sanded first. I did that. That was a PITA and a half. I got it as close to perfect as possible, still not perfect but close enough for me. I had to take put it all back together and take it apart SO many times trying to get it aligned properly. I drilled SO many holes. I made a paper guide to drill the holes but I STILL drilled them incorrectly so I just elongated most of them and drilled then bigger. Finally got it done. Took me about 5 hours just to sand, drill, re-assemble and assemble about 10 times then finally I put it all back together. I was in a rush because I had dinner reservations so I basically took my time in the beginning and rushed towards the end. All in all, I like the set-up now... and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I was a little nervous about the actual unit sliding out of place since I elongated the holes... like if I hit some rough bumps on the road or a pothole. If that happens I will just buy a new bracket and match up the correct holes from my current bracket then drill again. I don't want to spend the extra cash if it's not necessary so I will leave it as it is and see what happens. I did have to use new bolts since the short bolts will not work with the new holes. I used 4 "10x32x1/2" flat machined screws with 4 washers. They screws can stick out because there is plenty of room. I only used 2 screws on each side. Using 3 was impossible and I didn't feel like drilling any more holes.
Very nice, looks good!!

Yeah sanding and getting it all lined up and flush is a PITA. Did you tape up the front like I said? How are your fingers??

The people who installed the unit off center in the pre-drilled holes have no idea how tedious it really is.

Old 01-16-2006 | 05:44 PM
Disco-----

I see that you have the dual a/c climate control..where did you find that? I see that grubbs doesn't have that

Old 01-16-2006 | 06:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
Very nice, looks good!!

Yeah sanding and getting it all lined up and flush is a PITA. Did you tape up the front like I said? How are your fingers??

The people who installed the unit off center in the pre-drilled holes have no idea how tedious it really is.

It is nowhere near as close to perfect as yours though but I tried. I did tape the front at first but it was making my sand paper all sticky and started smearing so I took it off and was as careful as I could be. I scratched it a couple of times but it's not to noticeable. I sanded my finger tips and my finger nails!

I had no idea it was going to be THAT much work! Thanks for the info and pics tho. I printed your pics to use as a guide while I was sanding.

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 01-16-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2006 | 06:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by ariesxtreme
Disco-----

I see that you have the dual a/c climate control..where did you find that? I see that grubbs doesn't have that
I ordered my stuff from Yo****aka - J's Garage Exports in JAPAN. I found his info on the DDKIT thread on this forum.

It was 403 and some change for the Dash piece and climate control. The dash piece was only like 60 bucks or something and the climate control was almost 300! The rest is his commission. I ordered mine before Grubb's sold it so I believe it's a lot cheaper thru Grubb's. I must say that J's Garage Exports has the best customer service I have ever had...

Old 01-16-2006 | 09:46 PM
thats nice

Old 01-16-2006 | 09:51 PM
You think a palm sander would expedite the process? I'm going to try tomorrow.
Just to get the sides down to where you can hand hand sand and sculpt it.

Old 01-17-2006 | 03:16 AM
|
Originally Posted by speedgeek
You think a palm sander would expedite the process? I'm going to try tomorrow.
Just to get the sides down to where you can hand hand sand and sculpt it.
I think you should just do it by hand. I just placed the sand paper sheets on the third step on the stairway outside and sat on the first step... sanded away, applying equal pressure to sand it down straight and evenly. Don't try to expedite it as it might damage or even worse, crack the trim piece. I went thru one full pack of 5 sheets of 150 Medium sand paper. BIG SHEETS.

Old 01-17-2006 | 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
I ordered my stuff from Yo****aka - J's Garage Exports in JAPAN. I found his info on the DDKIT thread on this forum.

It was 403 and some change for the Dash piece and climate control. The dash piece was only like 60 bucks or something and the climate control was almost 300! The rest is his commission. I ordered mine before Grubb's sold it so I believe it's a lot cheaper thru Grubb's. I must say that J's Garage Exports has the best customer service I have ever had...
Gotcha...yeah it is way cheaper through Grubbs..by like a hundred bucks. I wonder if it's even worth having..the dual a/c control...how does it work? How can you change it from passenger to driver?

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:14 PM
|
When you hit the button it shows you on the dislay... driver - passenger and you can switch between the two. That's all. It does work though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1 wired but need mounting help on 05 w/ DD kit??? I AM STUCK!