G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-20/)
-   -   Dont buy MB Quarts (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/83456-dont-buy-mb-quarts.html)

etang789 01-27-2006 01:14 AM

My impression is dont buy MB Quarts they are too bright for my taste~

Me and my friend have just complete our sound system one for my G35 coupe and one for his Mazda 6s.
Equipment I have:
Stock Head Unit
MB Quart PCE216
JL 300/4
Image Dynamics ID10 V.3
4080 Box

Impression:Very harsh highs, mids are ok, lows isnt great

Equipment My friend has:
Stock Head Unit
Elemental Designs edi6500s
Elemental Designs Nine.4
Elemental Designs 11kv.2
Elemental Designs Sub box

Impression: Very smooth warm High, mids are great, Low is great with the bass boost function on at the amp

Im thinking to change the speakers to edi6500s and is there any way to fix the bass thing?

aleok 01-27-2006 01:15 AM

get a W7!

jeremyp111 01-27-2006 01:50 AM

W7 won't fit in the 4080 box.

woshiagni 01-27-2006 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by etang789

Im thinking to change the speakers to edi6500s and is there any way to fix the bass thing?

The MB Quart's are known for being extremely bright. You can reduce the harshness slightly by setting the jumpers in the crossover. There's no way you can get decent bass out of them, you really need a sub to handle the low's -- if you want the bass up front, then.... you might need to go with different components.

I have the PCE's up front and DKE's in the rear (sedan) along with a 12" Type-S in the 4080 box and everything sounds great.

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 02:36 AM

I think the statement of "Dont buy MBQs" is quite a bold one based on your personal listening tatses. MBQ is good solid product, harsh? Yes to me and many others, but some like it. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt recommend against the company due to my listening taste.

R2 V35 01-27-2006 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl05G
I think the statement of "Dont buy MBQs" is quite a bold one based on your personal listening tatses. MBQ is good solid product, harsh? Yes to me and many others, but some like it. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt recommend against the company due to my listening taste.

+1 :D

Devil Dog 01-27-2006 09:29 AM

true true

Dieselnuts 01-27-2006 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
W7 won't fit in the 4080 box.

But a W6V2 will!!!!!

e420x 01-27-2006 09:54 AM

Its all a matter of opinion with speakers. They are great speakers IMO

Sundeviljay 01-27-2006 10:11 AM

You are crazy....MB Quarts are very nice sounding speakers. Did you ever think that the sound might sucks because you still have the Blose Head Unit in there? Or the fact that your amp might suck? I can't believe you would install an entire system and leave that piece of junk head unit in there and still expect a high quality sound.

CBRworm 01-27-2006 10:50 AM

I have had nothing but good luck with MB Quarts. I prefer Focal now, but would not say anything bad about MB Quart.

There is a lot of personal preference involved in speaker decisions It sounds like you might prefer a speaker with a silk dome tweeter which tends to sound smoother.

But if your tweeter are too bright, you should be able to change jumper settings on the crossovers to lower the tweeter level. Another thing that jumps out at me is that the MB Quarts probably need more power to play loud and clearly than the 300/4 can provide. Maybe if you were to bridge it and run another 300/4 for the rear. The Quarts do not have a lot of bass, but they should certainly have more clear bass than stock. I would make sure your amps high pass crossover to the quarts is set around 60-80hz, there is no reason to try and make them play lower than optimum, especially with a sub. If they are not producing good bass, I would suspect that the polarity on one of them is incorrect.

What amp is powering the 10? Surely not the same 300/4? If you are sold on the JL stuff, I would recommend a 500/1 for the sub.

I would suggest replacing the head unit with something (anything) better. Also - don't use the high level outputs from the Bose amplifier as the equalization is crazy - although the balanced outputs from the deck are supposed to be pretty flat if you get them before the amplifier.

Good luck - with the parts you have you should have decent sound. If you added a head unit and some more power you should have really good sound.

jeremyp111 01-27-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselnuts
But a W6V2 will!!!!!

Yes it will, but the rear channels of the 300/4 aren't enough juice to run it well. It would sound great with a 500/1 as suggested by CBRworm though.

etang789 01-27-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CBRworm
I have had nothing but good luck with MB Quarts. I prefer Focal now, but would not say anything bad about MB Quart.

There is a lot of personal preference involved in speaker decisions It sounds like you might prefer a speaker with a silk dome tweeter which tends to sound smoother.

But if your tweeter are too bright, you should be able to change jumper settings on the crossovers to lower the tweeter level. Another thing that jumps out at me is that the MB Quarts probably need more power to play loud and clearly than the 300/4 can provide. Maybe if you were to bridge it and run another 300/4 for the rear. The Quarts do not have a lot of bass, but they should certainly have more clear bass than stock. I would make sure your amps high pass crossover to the quarts is set around 60-80hz, there is no reason to try and make them play lower than optimum, especially with a sub. If they are not producing good bass, I would suspect that the polarity on one of them is incorrect.

What amp is powering the 10? Surely not the same 300/4? If you are sold on the JL stuff, I would recommend a 500/1 for the sub.

I would suggest replacing the head unit with something (anything) better. Also - don't use the high level outputs from the Bose amplifier as the equalization is crazy - although the balanced outputs from the deck are supposed to be pretty flat if you get them before the amplifier.

Good luck - with the parts you have you should have decent sound. If you added a head unit and some more power you should have really good sound.

the ID10 is powered by the rear channels of JL 300/4. Yes i will double check the stuff later and try to change the jumper setting on the MB quarts.

In this thread im not bad mouth a brand but only expressing myself about my setup and my friends setup. at a lower price his setup is much better than mine in everyway. the reason i got JL 300/4 is because it can fit in the bose amp location.

And about the sub, getting a new sub or new amp is a solution. but again im just comparing it with my friends which is 65x2 brideged so he get 130 rms for the sub; and i have 75x2 bridged so i get 150rms but his hits better harder.

el_duderino 01-27-2006 11:51 AM

I think they are well made, but I would also recommend against buying them based on rep instead of listening IN A CAR.

I disagree with their philosphy of xover point and always have.

I didn't like them back when they and PPI were the shiznit.

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 11:55 AM

Your comparing two totally different cars environments. No two cars regardless of products installed will sound alike. Your also comparing different transports as well as amplification. Do I doubt one sounds better than the other? Not at all. I am not one to tell someone what They hear is wrong. Simply put its not a fair comparison by far.

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sundeviljay
You are crazy....MB Quarts are very nice sounding speakers. Did you ever think that the sound might sucks because you still have the Blose Head Unit in there? Or the fact that your amp might suck? I can't believe you would install an entire system and leave that piece of junk head unit in there and still expect a high quality sound.

Calling someone 'crazy' due to YOUR listening tastes is as bold as the title of this thread. I personally cant endure the ear shattering sound of MBQs, does that make me crazy as well?

The HU isnt going to make that much of a difference to make something sound horrible. I ran my stock HU for many months prior to swapping it out. Granted with substantial processing, but still OEM head.

Sundeviljay 01-27-2006 12:01 PM

i am saying he is crazy for putting a title like that when MB Quart has always had a good reputation...of course there are going to be people who don't like them but that doesn't mean you say "Don't buy MB Quarts."

http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Animation/Gif/ANI26.gif

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sundeviljay
i am saying he is crazy for putting a title like that when MB Quart has always had a good reputation...of course there are going to be people who don't like them but that doesn't mean you say "Don't buy MB Quarts."

http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Animation/Gif/ANI26.gif

Now that I definately agree with, hence my original post. ;)

amthar 01-27-2006 12:36 PM

Going along with speakers are all about opinion and personal preference, IMO (which is a get-out-of-flame-free card anyways) MB is trash, and so are Focal. I have heard both in person both on a sound board in an audio store and in a car and I hated them. But that's just me :) This whole "IMO" thing is fun!!!

badtziscool 01-27-2006 12:43 PM

I will have to disagree with the MB Quart statement. I do agree that the highs are a bit harsh, but when you're driving down the road and the road noise muddies out your sound, the harshness goes away.

Plus, you can always turn down your tweets with the jumper switches in the xover.

I like MBs.

realgone 01-27-2006 12:55 PM

I have QSD's in the front and PCE in the rear with a JL 10w6v3 in a 4080 box run by two phoneix gold amps. Sounds incredible. The mid bass from the QSD's are insane.

If someone were to not recommend MB Quart, a better reason would be that they are no longer in business and therefore, no warranty.

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by badtziscool
I will have to disagree with the MB Quart statement. I do agree that the highs are a bit harsh, but when you're driving down the road and the road noise muddies out your sound, the harshness goes away.

Plus, you can always turn down your tweets with the jumper switches in the xover.

I like MBs.

So in other words, do not do any dampening to your doors, and hope that road noise overfloods you to cover up the bad sound??

Why not just use speakers that sound good?

Sundeviljay 01-27-2006 01:07 PM

no longer in business??? eh?

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by realgone

If someone were to not recommend MB Quart, a better reason would be that they are no longer in business and therefore, no warranty.

What unreliable source informed you of this?

etang789 01-27-2006 01:14 PM

Well Im sorry if ppl are so offended with that title, but i just want to warn ppl that IMHO MB Quart PCE 216 arent that great standing up against edi6500s. Im considering changing to DLS up6 or simplily just get the edi6500s since i know i wont be disappointed by it.

amthar 01-27-2006 01:26 PM

DLS UP6! Then you can be part of the DLS cult on here. I need to ask El_duderino if I can be the leader. My title would be His Most Auditoriness.

Pearl05G 01-27-2006 01:57 PM

Well Im sorry if ppl are so offended with that title, but i just want to warn ppl that IMHO MB Quart PCE 216 arent that great standing up against edi6500s. Im considering changing to DLS up6 or simplily just get the edi6500s since i know i wont be disappointed by it.

Telling people not to buy a product based simply on YOUR opinion is way overboard. Maybe a better title would be "My impressions of MBQ".

Furthermore as I stated above your comapring different vehicles,transports and amplification. So "knowing" you wont be dissapointed is yet to be confirmed.

myst 01-27-2006 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by amthar
DLS UP6! Then you can be part of the DLS cult on here. I need to ask El_duderino if I can be the leader. My title would be His Most Auditoriness.

el_duderino has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sigh.. he's too popular.

etang789 01-27-2006 02:58 PM

Telling people not to buy a product based simply on YOUR opinion is way overboard. Maybe a better title would be "My impressions of MBQ".

Furthermore as I stated above your comapring different vehicles,transports and amplification. So "knowing" you wont be dissapointed is yet to be confirmed.

Yea i took your advice to change the title since i dont want to start a war about MB Quart. And again the title before i am just trying to warn ppl that this PCE216 is just too bright, and simply im just dissappoint by them.

As a solution i will try to change the jumper settings and also i am looking at new front speakers to replace, example right now when i hear my friends edi6500s im impressed by it everytime.

And it would be great if some one can advice some speakers thats similiar to edi6500s that wont break the bank. Or else im also happy if i just get edi6500s but it would be great to know more options.

And for the sub i turned up the bass thing on the head unit and it now hits louder.

amthar 01-27-2006 03:02 PM

there is also some spray that el_duderino talked about at one point that you can spray on "Bright" speakers that can help un-bright (??) them. do a search, I 'm too lazy

etang789 01-27-2006 03:53 PM

yea he told me about it in one of the post, but i dunno the result of that so im kinda scarded to do so...might as well sell the mb quart and buy edi6500s or dls up6

AVJunkie 01-28-2006 01:44 PM

There are many people who don't care for the sound of MB Quarts, myself included. That doesn't make them bad speakers since we all have different tastes and hear things differently. Since you don't like them, take them out and get something else. I'd recommend something with a silk dome tweeter.

The ID10 is a good subwoofer for the $. Pick up a mono amp to power it with around 250w+ and I think you'll be happy.

etang789 01-29-2006 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by AVJunkie
There are many people who don't care for the sound of MB Quarts, myself included. That doesn't make them bad speakers since we all have different tastes and hear things differently. Since you don't like them, take them out and get something else. I'd recommend something with a silk dome tweeter.

The ID10 is a good subwoofer for the $. Pick up a mono amp to power it with around 250w+ and I think you'll be happy.

Do u have any specific silk dome tweeter component speakers to suggest?

AVJunkie 01-29-2006 11:50 AM

Do u have any specific silk dome tweeter component speakers to suggest?

There are a lot of them to choose from. Personally, I love my CDTs. I have the CDT ef-61cfi/24 comp set and they're great speakers. Like a lot of other comp sets, you'll need to give them at least 100w/ch to get the best sound out of them. A few others on here have the same comp set. Here's a pic of them installed:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...mpsInstall.jpg

el_duderino 01-29-2006 03:36 PM

D-l-s! D-l-s! :)

netwireless 01-29-2006 08:17 PM

AVJunkie, I ordered the CDT speakers a couple of days ago and can't wait to recieve them. As for the amp, I am going with the JL Audio 450/4 so I can get ~150W to these comps. Have you installed your amp? Is 150W overkill, or definitely needed? I would rather go with a lower cost amp, but I am worried these won't sound as good?

BTW, sorry el_duderino, but hopefully soon I'll be saying "C-D-Ts C-D-Ts"... ;-)

AVJunkie 01-29-2006 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by netwireless
AVJunkie, I ordered the CDT speakers a couple of days ago and can't wait to recieve them. As for the amp, I am going with the JL Audio 450/4 so I can get ~150W to these comps. Have you installed your amp? Is 150W overkill, or definitely needed? I would rather go with a lower cost amp, but I am worried these won't sound as good?

BTW, sorry el_duderino, but hopefully soon I'll be saying "C-D-Ts C-D-Ts"... ;-)

You'll love 'em! 150w will be great for them. That's what I'll be pushing mine with. Probably won't install my amps and subwoofer until Spring. :( Just too busy with other stuff.

htn 01-30-2006 12:18 AM

sorry to jump in with a question,,,,,,,, how is jl audio xr650-csi,,,,,,,price is reasonable? and of course it go along wwith great jl amps

el_duderino 01-30-2006 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by htn
and of course it go along wwith great jl amps

No, not really. The electrons don't care. They come from totally different factories and are designed by totally different people.

AVJunkie 01-30-2006 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by htn
sorry to jump in with a question,,,,,,,, how is jl audio xr650-csi,,,,,,,price is reasonable? and of course it go along wwith great jl amps

I haven't heard the JL Audio comps but everything that I've read is that you can do better for the same $$.

realgone 01-30-2006 11:57 PM

Do a search on Focal. If I did not already have MB Quart QSD's, which sound great, I would choose Focal.

Next time around I will go with Focal because MBQ is no longer in business.

Pearl05G 01-31-2006 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by realgone
Do a search on Focal. If I did not already have MB Quart QSD's, which sound great, I would choose Focal.

Next time around I will go with Focal because MBQ is no longer in business.

Focal is just as harsh as MBQs. If he doesnt like the sound of them, hed be better off searching elsewhere with his money.

Where the hell are you people getting this info of MBQ no longer being around???

Disco_Monkey 01-31-2006 01:39 PM

I have had MB's in two of my previous rides and I was very happy with the sound quality. Very clean and defined... not all blended, loud and obnoxious like stock speakers.

I replacing all 8 Permium Bose speakers with MB's next week.

Sundeviljay 01-31-2006 01:41 PM

yeah what is the deal with MB Quart out of business???? I have never heard anything like this

Pearl05G 01-31-2006 02:23 PM

Theyre not out of business, which leaves me wondering where people are regurgetating this info from....

Sundeviljay 01-31-2006 02:39 PM

maybe from Stan??
http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/f...uthpark_04.gif

etang789 01-31-2006 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
I have had MB's in two of my previous rides and I was very happy with the sound quality. Very clean and defined... not all blended, loud and obnoxious like stock speakers.

I replacing all 8 Permium Bose speakers with MB's next week.

Just to let u know MB Quart are very bright as discussed above. Im going to get some warmer sounding speakers still deciding betweent edi 6500s and DLS UP6... they should be similiar sounding speakers

Pearl05G 01-31-2006 10:47 PM

My vote would strongly be for the DLS. But thats what my ears like out of the two.

etang789 02-01-2006 12:07 AM

My vote would strongly be for the DLS. But thats what my ears like out of the two.

Can u describe whats the difference from ur experience?

Pearl05G 02-01-2006 12:12 AM

I personally wouldnt give a dime to Ben to begin with. Other than that I think the DLS are a bit more detailed and the eDs lack a bit of midbass. Smoother more relaxed tweet would go to the UPs as well.