Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dont buy MB Quarts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My impression is dont buy MB Quarts they are too bright for my taste~

Me and my friend have just complete our sound system one for my G35 coupe and one for his Mazda 6s.
Equipment I have:
Stock Head Unit
MB Quart PCE216
JL 300/4
Image Dynamics ID10 V.3
4080 Box

Impression:Very harsh highs, mids are ok, lows isnt great

Equipment My friend has:
Stock Head Unit
Elemental Designs edi6500s
Elemental Designs Nine.4
Elemental Designs 11kv.2
Elemental Designs Sub box

Impression: Very smooth warm High, mids are great, Low is great with the bass boost function on at the amp

Im thinking to change the speakers to edi6500s and is there any way to fix the bass thing?

Last edited by etang789; 01-27-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
get a W7!

Old 01-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W7 won't fit in the 4080 box.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by etang789

Im thinking to change the speakers to edi6500s and is there any way to fix the bass thing?

The MB Quart's are known for being extremely bright. You can reduce the harshness slightly by setting the jumpers in the crossover. There's no way you can get decent bass out of them, you really need a sub to handle the low's -- if you want the bass up front, then.... you might need to go with different components.

I have the PCE's up front and DKE's in the rear (sedan) along with a 12" Type-S in the 4080 box and everything sounds great.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:36 AM
I think the statement of "Dont buy MBQs" is quite a bold one based on your personal listening tatses. MBQ is good solid product, harsh? Yes to me and many others, but some like it. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt recommend against the company due to my listening taste.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl05G
I think the statement of "Dont buy MBQs" is quite a bold one based on your personal listening tatses. MBQ is good solid product, harsh? Yes to me and many others, but some like it. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt recommend against the company due to my listening taste.

+1

Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Pearl05G
true true

Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by jeremyp111
W7 won't fit in the 4080 box.
But a W6V2 will!!!!!

Old 01-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Mod Junky!
Its all a matter of opinion with speakers. They are great speakers IMO

Old 01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
You are crazy....MB Quarts are very nice sounding speakers. Did you ever think that the sound might sucks because you still have the Blose Head Unit in there? Or the fact that your amp might suck? I can't believe you would install an entire system and leave that piece of junk head unit in there and still expect a high quality sound.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had nothing but good luck with MB Quarts. I prefer Focal now, but would not say anything bad about MB Quart.

There is a lot of personal preference involved in speaker decisions It sounds like you might prefer a speaker with a silk dome tweeter which tends to sound smoother.

But if your tweeter are too bright, you should be able to change jumper settings on the crossovers to lower the tweeter level. Another thing that jumps out at me is that the MB Quarts probably need more power to play loud and clearly than the 300/4 can provide. Maybe if you were to bridge it and run another 300/4 for the rear. The Quarts do not have a lot of bass, but they should certainly have more clear bass than stock. I would make sure your amps high pass crossover to the quarts is set around 60-80hz, there is no reason to try and make them play lower than optimum, especially with a sub. If they are not producing good bass, I would suspect that the polarity on one of them is incorrect.

What amp is powering the 10? Surely not the same 300/4? If you are sold on the JL stuff, I would recommend a 500/1 for the sub.

I would suggest replacing the head unit with something (anything) better. Also - don't use the high level outputs from the Bose amplifier as the equalization is crazy - although the balanced outputs from the deck are supposed to be pretty flat if you get them before the amplifier.

Good luck - with the parts you have you should have decent sound. If you added a head unit and some more power you should have really good sound.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Dieselnuts
But a W6V2 will!!!!!
Yes it will, but the rear channels of the 300/4 aren't enough juice to run it well. It would sound great with a 500/1 as suggested by CBRworm though.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by CBRworm
I have had nothing but good luck with MB Quarts. I prefer Focal now, but would not say anything bad about MB Quart.

There is a lot of personal preference involved in speaker decisions It sounds like you might prefer a speaker with a silk dome tweeter which tends to sound smoother.

But if your tweeter are too bright, you should be able to change jumper settings on the crossovers to lower the tweeter level. Another thing that jumps out at me is that the MB Quarts probably need more power to play loud and clearly than the 300/4 can provide. Maybe if you were to bridge it and run another 300/4 for the rear. The Quarts do not have a lot of bass, but they should certainly have more clear bass than stock. I would make sure your amps high pass crossover to the quarts is set around 60-80hz, there is no reason to try and make them play lower than optimum, especially with a sub. If they are not producing good bass, I would suspect that the polarity on one of them is incorrect.

What amp is powering the 10? Surely not the same 300/4? If you are sold on the JL stuff, I would recommend a 500/1 for the sub.

I would suggest replacing the head unit with something (anything) better. Also - don't use the high level outputs from the Bose amplifier as the equalization is crazy - although the balanced outputs from the deck are supposed to be pretty flat if you get them before the amplifier.

Good luck - with the parts you have you should have decent sound. If you added a head unit and some more power you should have really good sound.
the ID10 is powered by the rear channels of JL 300/4. Yes i will double check the stuff later and try to change the jumper setting on the MB quarts.

In this thread im not bad mouth a brand but only expressing myself about my setup and my friends setup. at a lower price his setup is much better than mine in everyway. the reason i got JL 300/4 is because it can fit in the bose amp location.

And about the sub, getting a new sub or new amp is a solution. but again im just comparing it with my friends which is 65x2 brideged so he get 130 rms for the sub; and i have 75x2 bridged so i get 150rms but his hits better harder.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they are well made, but I would also recommend against buying them based on rep instead of listening IN A CAR.

I disagree with their philosphy of xover point and always have.

I didn't like them back when they and PPI were the shiznit.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Your comparing two totally different cars environments. No two cars regardless of products installed will sound alike. Your also comparing different transports as well as amplification. Do I doubt one sounds better than the other? Not at all. I am not one to tell someone what They hear is wrong. Simply put its not a fair comparison by far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dont buy MB Quarts